Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2012, 09:06 AM

2 posts, read 2,786 times

Advertisements

I need advice on how to find current medical information on somebody.
I recently found out some information about a young man who has cancer. According to his prognosis, he has a 50-50 chance of dying within the next five years. His treatment costs are very high, and he does not have medical insurance. He is married and has a young child.

I'd very much like to help this man financial, if possible and necessary, but I'd like to do so anonymously. My reasons are complicated. I don't know him personally, but I was acquainted with his mother many years ago, and things did not end well between us. For that and other reasons, I do not want to inject myself personally into his life or the lives of his family.

Before I decide how, or if, to act, I'd like to find out about his current condition. Unfortunately, the information I have is 2 years old. For a cancer patient, a lot can happen in 2 years.

I know I'm being very vague, and this probably sounds like some sort of soap opera, but I'd really like to keeo this under covers until I decide what to do. At this point I'm only asking for advice on the best way to proceed. Would a Private Investigator be the best course? I'm unhappy about the idea of prying into other people's lives, but I'm determined to help this guy, if I can.

Any advice you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 04:22 PM

1,830 posts, read 5,348,325 times
You cannot get medical information on another person from a hospital/doctor without their express written consent - Federal law. A PI cannot help you with that, other than contacting his friends and family and asking, and most people would be wary of someone asking questions about someone else's health.

Lets say, hypothetically speaking of course, that this young man is your son and you've never been in his life and never contributed to his support. If you care about his welfare, or feel guilty over not providing for him through childhood, would it really matter if he's still sick or in remission? If he incurred a lot of medical debt, he could still need financial help paying it off. Even if he didn't incur medical debt, a sick and possibly dying young man with a wife and child - your grandchild, could still benefit greatly from a monetary gift. Of course there could be many hypotheticals deduced from the story as you've told it, and you're certainly entitled to your privacy about it. But the reasoning holds true - he is or was sick and in need, it's troubling you, and you're in a position to help. You don't really need to look into his medical information. Follow your heart.

Back to the facts as you've given them.... you're "determined to help this young man," so do it. How to do it? Contact an attorney and arrange for the attorney to send him a check from an anonymous donor. You pay the money to the attorney and he puts it in his client trust account and then writes a check from his trust account to the young man. It should only be a small fee for this, and they may even do it pro bono. It's a simple letter and check, and he'll be bound by attorney-client privilege to keep your identity secret.

Good luck

Old 02-06-2012, 03:25 PM

2 posts, read 2,786 times
hcgCali:

Thanks very much for the reply. I hadn't thought of a lawyer, but that does make sense.

Regarding your hypothetical, although it's perfectly logical based on what I wrote, it happens not to be the case. I am not the guy's estranged father. There is no guilt or sense of obligation involved, just a desire to do something for a family that has had its struggles.

Why would I make such an effort to help a stranger? Well, that's a story for another day.

Thank you again.

Old 02-07-2012, 02:37 AM

239 posts, read 478,391 times
For whatever reason you wanna help... there should be more like you out there. Thank you...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search