U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 01:01 PM

5 posts, read 7,942 times

Advertisements

My name is lander Allaert and I life in Antwerp (Belgium). My hobby is searching with a metal detector after relics of the Second World War. I always go searching in the Belgian Ardennes. The sectors were the battle of the bulge started on the 16th of December 1944. I found a lot of relicís and also personal stuff (mess-tinís, canteen cupís, canteenís.) with names on it. So I want to find the persons or relatives. It is possible that the personís no longer are alive because the Second World War ended 67 years ago. Belgium is far away from the stats so I can use some help.

The first name is Frank SANTURBANO or SANTERBANO. The name is standing on a mess-tin (military dinner plate). I found the mess-tin in a field. I have searching but I found no information about this person.

The second name is Russell B. FARRAR. This name is also standing on a mess-tin. This mess-tin. I have sent a mail to the Curator of the PNG Military Museum, Fort Indiantown Gap, PA, and this was his reaction:

ďDear Lander;
We got lucky for a change. Your man is 1st Lt, later Captain Russell B. Farrar, Company B, 112th Infantry, 28th Division. Silver Star medal, Bronze Star medal, General Order #54, 1945 and General Order #63, 1945, 28th infantry Division.
. Charlie Oellig, ď

More information about this person I donít have.

Here in the city of Antwerp was an American repatriation camp from 1945 till 1946. On this place I found a Dogtag (military identification tags) from Paul A buser. I found some information about this person on NARA (National Archives and Records Administration)

NARA - AAD - Display Full Records - Electronic Army Serial Number Merged File, ca. 1938 - 1946 (Enlistment Records)

The last person is Sergeant Emmett P. CLARK service number: 20311635 from the 112 Inf Regt / 28 Inf Division died on the 7th of January 1945 and buried at the American war cemetery Henri-Chapelle. I adopted his grave. I found some information about this person on NARA (National Archives and Records Administration)

NARA - AAD - Display Full Records - Electronic Army Serial Number Merged File, ca. 1938 - 1946 (Enlistment Records)

I hoop that somebody can help me with finding the persons or relatives.
And maybe I can tell my story to them. This is a piece of history that we never should forget.

Lander Allaert
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 03:25 PM

19,945 posts, read 14,253,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lander_allaert View Post
My name is lander Allaert and I life in Antwerp (Belgium). My hobby is searching with a metal detector after relics of the Second World War.
Yes, that is an hobby of many. This is a really good book:

Dead of Winter

THE DEAD OF WINTER

It is about Belgians and Germans who use metal detectors to help find the remains of MIA soldiers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lander_allaert View Post
The first name is Frank SANTURBANO or SANTERBANO. The name is standing on a mess-tin (military dinner plate). I found the mess-tin in a field. I have searching but I found no information about this person.

The second name is Russell B. FARRAR. This name is also standing on a mess-tin. This mess-tin. I have sent a mail to the Curator of the PNG Military Museum, Fort Indiantown Gap, PA, and this was his reaction:

ďDear Lander;
We got lucky for a change. Your man is 1st Lt, later Captain Russell B. Farrar, Company B, 112th Infantry, 28th Division. Silver Star medal, Bronze Star medal, General Order #54, 1945 and General Order #63, 1945, 28th infantry Division.
. Charlie Oellig, ď

More information about this person I donít have.

Here in the city of Antwerp was an American repatriation camp from 1945 till 1946. On this place I found a Dogtag (military identification tags) from Paul A buser. I found some information about this person on NARA (National Archives and Records Administration)

The last person is Sergeant Emmett P. CLARK service number: 20311635 from the 112 Inf Regt / 28 Inf Division died on the 7th of January 1945 and buried at the American war cemetery Henri-Chapelle. I adopted his grave. I found some information about this person on NARA (National Archives and Records Administration)

I hoop that somebody can help me with finding the persons or relatives.
And maybe I can tell my story to them. This is a piece of history that we never should forget.

Lander Allaert
In the future, you should try to make requriests through the units involved.

America's Oldest Army Division

That is the web-site for the 28th Infantry Division Association. If you contact them by e-mail with your information, they should be able to help you.

This is a newsletter that might contain some helpful information.

http://28thinfantrydivisionassoc.org...ewsletter1.pdf

In many cases, the parents or spouses of those soldiers have since died, but their siblings and children may be alive, and would appreciate any information.

Va-multumesc mult...

Mircea

Old 02-22-2012, 05:35 PM

1,830 posts, read 4,772,134 times
This forum has helped quite a few people like you, Lander, who are tending graves and searching for families of soldiers. We do appreciate what you are doing.

Let's take these one at a time.

1. Frank J. Santurbano

Born 31 Aug 1922, died 17 Aug 1971, served in WWII
Three sisters: Anna, Lena, Margaret(Rita)

Obituary of Anna shows Rita still living:
Anna T. Marsilio
December 26, 1918 - April 07, 2007
Former proprietor of Marsilio's Restaurant
Anna T. Santurbano Marsilio, age 88, of Monroe died peacefully on Saturday, April 7, 2007 at Carolton Chronic Convalescent Hospital, Fairfield. Born in Bridgeport on December 26, 1918 she was a daughter of the late Antonio and Crescenza Bonatatibus Santurbano. Anna was the proprietor of Marsilio's Restaurant in the Black Rock section of Bridgeport for 30 years before her retirement in 1980. She enjoyed playing bingo and cards and was also an avid Yankees fan. Anna was a kind and generous person always giving of herself to help others. She was predeceased by her beloved husband John Marsilio, a brother Frank Santurbano and a sister, Lena Jost. Survivors include her loving children, three sons, John Marsilio and his wife Trish of Fairfield, Dominick Marsilio of St. Petersburg FL., Anthony Marsilio Sr. and his wife Deborah of Tyngsboro, MA, a daughter, Ann Marie Megenis and her husband Walter of Monroe,a sister, Rita DiMartino of Island Pond VT., three cherished grandchildren, Jacqueline Megenis, Anthony Marsilio Jr. and Daniel McPadden, and several nieces and nephews.

Frank's Wife: Rose A Santurbano, died 1997
Daughter: Mariette Santubano. Married to Paul Anthony Lange, Attorney.

Possible Relatives of Mariette and Paul:
Yolanda P Lange
Andrew christin Lange
Joseph Lange Jr
Christine M Laieta

Mariette and Paul's address is the former home of Frank and Rose:
Mariette Lange
(203) 372-9876
56 Leffert Rd #4
Trumbull, CT 06611

Just in case they have moved, here is Paul's law office:
80 Ferry Blvd # 100 Stratford, CT 06615
(203) 375-7724

Last edited by hcgCali; 02-22-2012 at 05:48 PM..

Old 02-22-2012, 11:50 PM

239 posts, read 409,903 times
Thumbs up for what you do...and thumbs up for you, Cali!!!

Old 02-23-2012, 10:25 AM

@ Mircea: In the last 5 years I sent al lot of mails to all kind of associations. But there came no answer. Even the 28th Infantry Division Association donít answer.

@hcgCali: Thank you! This is very useful information! As soon as possible I will take contact with them.

I'll keep you informed.

Old 02-23-2012, 02:46 PM

585 posts, read 1,228,108 times
Hi lander_allaert,

It's very nice of you to have gone one step further posting what you found. Please keep up with the good work.

Snowbird100

Old 02-23-2012, 09:03 PM

2. Russell B. Farrar

Lander, did Charlie Oellig tell you that Captain Farrar was the correct person - the one who fought in Belgium?

I ask this because there are two WWII soldiers named Russell B. Farrarr - very close in birth and death dates, and both lived in California. One was an officer in the Army (the man Charlie refers to in your quote), and the other was a Sergeant in the Marines.

A. Russell Bennett Farrar, born 3 June 1917 in Missouri, died 28 June 1990 in Orange County, California. Enlisted in the Army in California, 4 Aug 1941. Enlistment papers say "Term of Enlistment: Enlistment for the Philippine Department." At the time of enlistment, he had three years of college, was employed as a bookkeeper, was single without dependents.
He married and later divorced (1972) Christina Ledbetter (b. 1921-2006)
Two children: Steven Alan Farrar -11 Jan 1952, Keith Harlan Farrar -6 Dec 1955.

B. Russell Bradrick Farrar, born 24 Sept 1916 in Los Angeles County, California and died 26 Nov 1992 in Los Angeles County, California. He has a sister Joyce Claire Farrar (b. 9 Mar 1914 - California, d. 28 Feb 1993 - Sonoma, California) Married name= Cowsert. The Farrar family lived in Oregon in 1920.
He joined the Marines 4 Nov 1942 and achieved the rank of SSGT. He is buried in Riverside National Cemetery, Riverside County, California. His last residence was Weldon, Kern County, California.
Apparently married to a woman with the surname of French, but I didn't find the record.
Children: Russell Bradrick Farrar Jr. born 5 Nov 1955. Christina Lee Farrar 6 Sep 1948, Sally Joan Farrar 9 Dec 1951, all born in Los Angeles County.

If you know for certain which man is the correct one, I will search for contact info on his children. Otherwise I will search and send you contact info for both families and you can contact them and ask if their father served in Belgium. I would ask that question first before divulging that you have an artifact, so that the wrong person doesn't try to claim it.

Old 02-24-2012, 01:22 AM

Thank you very much! It's incredible what you can find!
Yesterday evening I sent a mail to Paul A. Lange.

I think the first person (Russell Bennett Farrar) is the right one. but to be sure I will try contact with both families.

I'll keep you informed.

Old 02-25-2012, 02:56 AM

3. Paul A Buser
Born 23 Aug 1914 Pennsylvania, died Sept 1974 Illinois

Siblings were all older and deceased. Enlistment record states he had dependents but I didn't find them. Maybe Eliznj will find an obituary for him.

4. Sgt. Emmett P Clark Jr.

Found an obit for his sister. It doesn't sound like Emmett left any direct descendents. W. Ruth Garbett Ľ New Castle News However, it appears there is one living sister. I'll send you her contact information. If that doesn't work out, there are many nieces and nephews listed in the obit.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:37 AM

Letters and mails are written and sent. Now it is waiting for an answer. I want to say thank you to everyone for helping me. I'll continue my search after Paul A Buser.

I'll keep you informed about the answers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search