Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 12:25 PM

55 posts, read 142,185 times

Advertisements

I see alot of people, who joined recently, with only 1 post and already have reputation points, etc.
They go into a thread and say they are the person being looked for, or they know the person being looked for, etc.

Just how many of these first time posters are just pretending to be someone?
And what advice do any of you have, on how to gather information to verify that someone is real, and not a prankster pfishing for a phone number or e-mail address, for spam?

Rule #1
(I assume) Do not call the phone number, they seem to be willing to give to the entire world in their first post. Send them a direct message.
Rule #2
?
Rule #3
?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 02:44 PM

5,161 posts, read 11,403,440 times
Default People Search Chat Thread...

If you you want to talk about anything related to People Searches, please post here Do NOT post any actual searches, please read the tips and then create a thread for the search.

forum rules, please read them

Old 03-20-2012, 09:11 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,616,960 times
I lurk here sometimes and read the stories and admire the efforts of those of you who are so good at finding people. But does anyone ever worry that the searcher does not have good intentions re: the searchee? I know that there isn't anything you can do about it, but I'm always wondering of the person being searched for has tried to escape from the person searching for them.

Also, on the geneaology (Sp?) forum, a woman said she was searching for her father and he popped up a few days later and said "I'm your dad, here's my number, call me." That also makes me nervous and suspicious. The searchers can seem so vulnerable. It wouldn't be hard for someone of the right age and sex to pretend to be the long-lost parent and really take advantage of the searcher.

Maybe I've watched too many television shows, or am just paranoid, but does anyone else worry about these things?

Old 03-25-2012, 07:25 PM

1,063 posts, read 2,454,574 times
You can't always know. Yes, it does concern me from time to time. There are some threads I simply won't attempt for various reasons. I'm not quite sure why this thread was made into a 'sticky'.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:37 PM

5,161 posts, read 11,403,440 times
I wanted to have a "Sticky" for ANY posts that are not a particular search, but relate to the topic of "People Search". Problem is that I wanted to move that post which shows up first into the thread, but the system automatically puts older posts before newer ones.....

forum rules, please read them

Old 04-12-2012, 12:47 AM

375 posts, read 908,708 times
I read this from time to time, and I'd be concerned about ppl lying about who they are, or being stalkers or domestic abusers. I would think it's a liability to give lots of info about another person, since it could lead to some real scary issues....

Old 04-12-2012, 07:49 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,584,267 times
Most all of that info is public information, isn't it ? You just have to know how to get to it. I admire what these people do for others. I sometimes wonder why we see some come and go.....I guess they get busy with their own lives.

Old 04-13-2012, 12:42 AM

375 posts, read 908,708 times
true however some experience in that area, sometimes the abuser doesn't know how to find it, and having as many helpful ppl as there are here, there is that power in numbers in terms of locating it...

Old 04-21-2012, 06:48 PM

908 posts, read 1,653,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachaelb View Post
true however some experience in that area, sometimes the abuser doesn't know how to find it, and having as many helpful ppl as there are here, there is that power in numbers in terms of locating it...
Rachael you are quite correct, so it would be in order for there to be a sticky note warning to all posters, that they need to take special care that they are not giving info to stalkers, abusers, potentially dangerous angry ex's, or even scammers and debt collectors, and such. I would imagine that for some people and posts, it might be easier to tell. For some, not so easy.

But you are quite right to be concerned. Perhaps it would be best if people did not give out info about others, but if they would instead, contact the person being sought after, to show them what is posted here. So they can contact the person seeking them instead of us "exposing them" to potentially dangerous people we do not know anything about.

and in private, some forms of verification, key questions/ answers, and a public meeting place if any, are possibilities to use to limit the risks involved in contact with people whose identity we haven't yet verified. Use even more safeguards if you are seeking / answering a person whom you have never met before.

Old 04-22-2012, 09:31 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,584,267 times
Good grief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search