U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2012, 02:53 PM

3 posts, read 5,441 times

Advertisements

40 years ago it was very common for young people from North America to go to Europe for a summer or even a year to hitchike around the continent and United Kingdom.

It was relatively safe and using the network of youth hostels one rarely paid more than $2.00 per night for a bed.

I was in Europe for 4 months at the end of 1970 and met a lot of people from Canada, Australia and the US. Often we would spend a few days traveling together before heading off in opposite directions.

I have pictures of some of the people I met with no identification except "Larry from L.A." or "Paul from Toronto".
I have an old address book with names, but I doubt the information is correct after all this time.

About 15 years ago I saw an article in People Magazine about a girl that I had met and travelled with for a few days who had become a prominent researcher in a US hospital. Unfortunately I never contacted her.

The 'hippies' that invaded Europe, now in our 50's, 60's and 70's look nothing like we did then but maybe there is still time to use social media to reconnect with those we shared time with.

Is there a website for this? If so please let me know the address.
Perhaps this is an idea for a website that could be fun and even lucrative. I have no ability or inclination to start one so if any one has the ability and likes the idea go for it.

I'll be happy to be the first to send in pictures of guys with long hair and beautiful young women who for all I know may now be congressmen, billionaires or just happy parents and grandparents with fond memories of great adventures.

Last edited by eetonaee; 03-15-2012 at 03:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 03:08 AM

239 posts, read 409,291 times
The idea sounds great... I will ask one of my friends if he'd be interested to create one. I would, but I won't find the time to run it...

Old 03-22-2012, 05:24 PM

3 posts, read 5,441 times
Default Found a good site

I found a site that helps you find people you met traveling in Europe or on a kibbutz in Israel

www.lostamigos.net

Another million dollar idea I missed out on

Old 03-25-2012, 09:50 AM

1 posts, read 1,876 times
Amazing, I just Googled that same question for the Summer of 1970!
I remember meeting people at a hostel in one country & then running into the again a month later in another country.
It's funny to search back and find that some of the hostels are still there, like the one in Florence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search