U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2012, 09:12 AM

2 posts, read 1,424 times

Advertisements

I count myself as someone who can usually track down just about anything on the web but I'm having trouble finding out anything on a certain minor author. The author is a Lorraine Carr, who only had a couple books published the most famous of which was from 1940 titled 'Mother of the Smiths'. I have some things that I know of some things that belong to her, written by her, and many photographs that I wanted to return to the family (if she's not still surviving) if there is any but I can't locate anything useful. Any one else turn up anything? All of which are from 1943 or earlier. They letters and photos seem to be from California at the time so my only starting point is there. All I can find is a few places selling her book but nothing on her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 09:49 AM

2,115 posts, read 6,453,107 times
Perhaps contact this eBay seller? And see how he came into possession of this signed book by Lorraine Carr?

Lorraine Carr: To The Philippines With Love-SIGNED-1966 | eBay

Is the above book her own true story? If so, that gives me more details to search. I uncovered quite a few Lorraine Carrs in CA and needed some more info to narrow down possibilities.

Is there anything else you can share?

Good luck!

Old 03-20-2012, 10:03 AM

2,115 posts, read 6,453,107 times
John pen La Farge wrote a book called Turn left at the Sleeping Dog. He makes multiple references (very entertaining to say the least) to Lorraine Carr. I'm pretty certain it's the same one although he refers to her as a radio personality of many years in Santa Fe.

Perhaps he would know what has become of her or any family? He is on FaceBook but also found this listing for him:

647 Old Santa Fe Tr
Santa Fe NM 87505-0370
505-983-8377

Old 03-20-2012, 11:01 AM

2 posts, read 1,424 times
Default Another link in the chain.

I found a few exerts from the La Farge book 'Turn left at the Sleeping Dog' and quickly came to the same conclusion as he references her as living once in the Phillippines. This must be her. I'm trying to contact some of the Santa Fe radio stations to see if they have any reference to her. I'll try to dig through the letters again and see if anything worth mentioning pops out. I've also reached out to try to contact 'La farge' as well. Thank you for the reference. Hopefully I can track this little mystery down to it's end and return some family history to someone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search