U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 05:25 PM

19 posts, read 23,638 times

Advertisements

UPDATE!!! FOUND MATERNAL SIDE

my birth cousin did a biography on me for her school. she shared it with me, it was supposed to be 500 word but i think her professor will understand the extra 300 words

FINDING HOME
Janet Lorraine Kloos, (birth name Maria Shock) was born September 30, 1969, in Towson Maryland,
to a poor, young, single eighteen year old girl.
Through a series of unfortunate and tragic events that led Maria and her mother on a journey
across the United States in hopes of staying together,
fifteen month old Maria was ultimately given up for adoption in Los Angeles, California on November 27, 1970.
Maria’s adoption was finalized on December 31, 1971 and she became known as Janet Kean. Although loved and cared for by her adoptive parents, a deep desire and determination to locate
and meet her biological family compelled Janet and sent her on an emotional and intense twenty-seven year search.
From the time Janet was old enough to remember and understand,
her parents let her know about her adoption and the subject was openly discussed.
She became part of a family that already had two children, Jeff (11 years older)
and Judy (4 years older and also adopted).
Tragically, when Janet was just three years old, her adoptive mother died from cancer.
Two years later her father remarried and in the process she gained two older siblings.
Although she was provided with a solid home,
she never felt like she belonged; “Well I just felt like the black sheep of the family” said Janet.
When asked at what point she first thought about finding her biological mother,
Janet emphatically stated “always, always wanted and looked! Even as a little kid,
packing up my dolls in a wagon – gonna run away looking for my mom.”
This longing- for the part of her that was missing- fueled Janet’s amazing quest to find her birth mother.
Due to regulations and the anonymity of a closed adoption, Janet had very little information to begin her search,
making her case very complicated
After several visits to the adoption agency, she had her birth location and date,
a physical description of her biological mother which included date of birth, partial sibling and parent information,
and the circumstances surrounding her adoption.
With limited and miscommunicated information, Janet wrote to churches and went through
thousands of records in hopes of finding any helpful information. (Kloos). When asked about her determination and strength to keep looking, Janet responded with an awestricken “How could I not?” (Kloos) The burning questions of who her mom was compelled her. But it wasn’t until modern technology advanced that her breakthrough came about. Janet started a WordPress blog entitled Journey into the Unknown…a Post Adoption Search. [Klo]. Her good friend, Brenda Lee , was instrumental in her search. Brenda came to her aid by providing a search poster that the pair took to Facebook. “We spammed everywhere on Facebook, begging people to share” said Janet. (Kloos). Her appeal was productive as Janet received over 250 shares in just two days. (Kloos). Janet and Brenda procured help from the group Search Squad on Facebook. It was through this contact that the pieces began to fall into place. A Squad member, Kelly Mahoney, noticed the search poster and found an obituary that she thought closely matched. (Kloos). Oddly enough, Janet herself had already seen this obituary but due to incorrect family information, had dismissed it.
Her birth record stated that her mother had been a twin and the woman in this obituary had not been a twin.
The information was so close (with the twin exception) that Kelly couldn’t let it go.
She even found a reference in thhe obituary to twins – but they had been this woman’s siblings and had died at birth.
At Kelly’s urging, in spite of the discrepancy, on December 12, 2014, Janet reached out via Facebook
and contacted the deceased woman’s son.
“I was afraid to go to sleep the day I found them, I also was afraid maybe it wasn’t really them.” Janet said.
Shortly after, Janet’s message was returned, the facts were verified and her identity was confirmed.
After twenty-seven long years she had finally found her biological family and received a Christmas miracle.
Sadly, her mother had passed the previous year but Janet has gotten to know her brother,
two sisters, aunt, and a multitude of cousins.
Brittany Lorraine, Janet’s daughter, says her mom is now whole and has a new light in her.
Janet shared what has been the greatest change in her life since finding her biological family
“Self-identity, it was like looking at a reflection in a fogged up shower mirror all your life
to suddenly see a clear image, priceless, now I can’t look at the mirror and not see my mother.”
As for the determination that kept her going for twenty-seven years,
well it appears she inherited that trait from her mother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 05:27 PM

Angela Grace Shock Pifer (1951 - 2013) - Find A Grave Memorial

Old 03-19-2015, 05:29 PM

https://janetkloos.wordpress.com/

Old 03-19-2015, 05:30 PM

Progress Bulletin from Pomona, California · Page 4

Old 03-21-2015, 09:04 AM

6,708 posts, read 8,045,569 times
Yours is a touching story. It's wonderful that you have found your roots after all of these years.

Old 10-26-2015, 11:32 AM

UPDATE:
PATERNAL SIDE FOUND!!!!!
BRINGING AN END TO A TOTAL OF 28 YEARS IN SEARCH
https://janetkloos.wordpress.com/

Old 10-29-2015, 06:43 AM

10,730 posts, read 21,375,591 times
Congrats to finding your family. So sorry you were too late for your mom.

Old 10-29-2015, 07:38 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,868,441 times
Great story that should inspire others.

Old 10-29-2015, 10:18 PM

4,907 posts, read 6,122,449 times
I loved, loved, loved reading this story and thank you OP for telling all of us about it. That is a great gift. Good luck to you.

Old 11-28-2015, 10:02 AM

https://janetkloos.wordpress.com/201...es-volume-one/
Created a little scrapbook for maternal side search, the edition that is more detailed. Soon i hope to create another for paternal search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search