U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 08:10 PM

1,173 posts, read 4,119,954 times

Advertisements

Do you have a copy of your original Colombian birth certificate? Their names, addresses, occupations and addresses should be on it. If not call the capital of the department (like a state in Colombia) where you were born and ask to get a new copy. Colombian birth certificates are very detailed it should give you a lot to work with.

Do you know if your birth parents were very poor? In Colombia people living in real poverty often live in homes and shacks they make out of found materials and end up moving very often, if your birth parents were very poor they may be hard to track down.

I wish you the best
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 06:18 AM

469 posts, read 1,488,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icibiu View Post
Do you have a copy of your original Colombian birth certificate? Their names, addresses, occupations and addresses should be on it. If not call the capital of the department (like a state in Colombia) where you were born and ask to get a new copy. Colombian birth certificates are very detailed it should give you a lot to work with.

Do you know if your birth parents were very poor? In Colombia people living in real poverty often live in homes and shacks they make out of found materials and end up moving very often, if your birth parents were very poor they may be hard to track down.

I wish you the best
I know I had a mother and three brothers. She gave me up for adoption because my biological father (who my adoptive mother claims there was no information on but there was information on my biological mother) left the family. She was a working woman and could not afford to provide for an additional child. I have a birth certificate which is in Spanish with my English name printed. I question it at times. It does not have my time of birth, former name or any information. I would not be surprised if my father got rid of it. He is extremely controlling and never wanted me to find out about my biological family. I am at a point in my life where I am extremely eager to locate my biological mother and brothers albeit me not being financially stable to hire a private investigator. Nevertheless, I am intelligent, and would like to try every effort without putting out $$$ to locate them.

How much do you feel it would cost to receive my original birth certificate by the means you suggested? I assume I would have to have someone who speaks Spanish speak for me as I know very little.

Old 05-29-2012, 06:38 AM

34,389 posts, read 41,480,724 times
Reminds me of my long ago experience where by i had to give 2 children (babies actually) up for adoption and thought i'd never see them again until one day 25 years later i get a phone call from one of them inquiring about the possibility that i might be his dad, wow what a rush!! Appears when he sent away to the government for a replacement birth certificate they sent him his original pre adoptive birth Certificate with my name on it,three calls into the Montreal telephone book and he got reunited with his dad and a short while later i re united with both of them..
so if you have one of your biological parents names the search gets a whole lot easier..

Old 06-02-2012, 02:58 PM

10,707 posts, read 21,360,913 times
Have a look at this article; perhaps it will help you with your parents
Adoption woes in the adolescent years
You wanting to know more is very common & while it may be easy for me to say they shouldn't take it personal; they really should not because a lot of people do the same thing; at least to get more information. Do you know where they keep your documents? I found my 1/2 brothers in a table in the living room.

As everyone has said; even if you do find their names; you may have to take a trip there to actually speak to the natives to see if anyone knows where they live. I'm pretty sure there are more posts in this section with similar questions.

Your best bet with the Spanish birth certificate would be to find someone that can translate it or try to type it out in Google translate. What part of NJ (North; central or South) are you in?

I'll try to get back here in a little bit; have to make a phone call. There are tons of adoption pages on facebook. Do you follow any?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Reminds me of my long ago experience where by i had to give 2 children (babies actually) up for adoption and thought i'd never see them again until one day 25 years later i get a phone call from one of them inquiring about the possibility that i might be his dad, wow what a rush!! Appears when he sent away to the government for a replacement birth certificate they sent him his original pre adoptive birth Certificate with my name on it,three calls into the Montreal telephone book and he got reunited with his dad and a short while later i re united with both of them..
so if you have one of your biological parents names the search gets a whole lot easier..
Wow. I bet you almost had a heart attack! lol
Congrats!

Old 06-02-2012, 03:44 PM

34,389 posts, read 41,480,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post

Wow. I bet you almost had a heart attack! lol
Congrats!
With out a doubt the reunion was the most emotional moment of my life..

Old 06-02-2012, 05:47 PM

13,831 posts, read 14,655,855 times
is there anyway for you to look for your papers at your mom and dad's when they are gone. the info is stashed away in a closet or box somewhere, with luck it won't be locked up. just wait till dad is gone and mom is at work so you can have some time to look. good luck

Old 06-02-2012, 06:54 PM

10,707 posts, read 21,360,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowOrNever View Post
I know I had a mother and three brothers. She gave me up for adoption because my biological father (who my adoptive mother claims there was no information on but there was information on my biological mother) left the family. She was a working woman and could not afford to provide for an additional child. I have a birth certificate which is in Spanish with my English name printed. I question it at times. It does not have my time of birth, former name or any information. I would not be surprised if my father got rid of it. He is extremely controlling and never wanted me to find out about my biological family. I am at a point in my life where I am extremely eager to locate my biological mother and brothers albeit me not being financially stable to hire a private investigator. Nevertheless, I am intelligent, and would like to try every effort without putting out $$$ to locate them.

How much do you feel it would cost to receive my original birth certificate by the means you suggested? I assume I would have to have someone who speaks Spanish speak for me as I know very little.
I found another awesome link for you that should give you a lot of help

How do I find adoption records from Bogota, Colombia orphanages in 1980?
This is the 1st link mentioned- the page was changed; so just go here
intercountry adoption process

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
With out a doubt the reunion was the most emotional moment of my life..
They're lucky you were listed in the phone book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or