U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2012, 03:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,079 times

Advertisements

My grandfather Charles, aged then 29, left France in 1924 with his daughter Charlotte aged 12. They were both born in Belfort, France (near the Swiss border). On their arrival they went to Detroit and I suppose, spent most of their lives in the area of Flint in the county of Genesee where they died the former in August 1980 and the latter on 27th March 1992.
My grandfather had 3 other children in France before leaving: my father Charles (born 1920), my aunt, Louise (born 1922) and my uncle, Louis (born 1924).
I wish I could get in touch with their children or grandchildren to share information and possibly, some day, arrange a meeting.
I am Charles' (born 1920) second son, Serge born 1957. I live in France in Besançon near the Swiss border. I am a teacher of English.

Please DO get get in touch!

Thanks a lot in advance.

Serge Baechler
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 04:16 PM

2,457 posts, read 6,323,997 times
Charles, age 30 and Charlotte age 12 from Le Havre arrived on the SS France on December 6, 1924 and listed Louis Baechler as a relative in Detroit.

You probably have all that, but I'm passing it on while I continue to look.

Old 06-08-2012, 06:52 PM

2,457 posts, read 6,323,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
Charles, age 30 and Charlotte age 12 from Le Havre arrived on the SS France on December 6, 1924 and listed Louis Baechler as a relative in Detroit.

You probably have all that, but I'm passing it on while I continue to look.
I am having no luck with this with the many genealogy Web Sites I use. Do you have any additional info about their life in the US available? Is it possible they changed the spelling of their last name? Do you have a married name for Charlotte?

Old 06-09-2012, 08:47 AM
bjh

30,801 posts, read 23,799,254 times
You might try here, if you're looking for living people: http://www.city-data.com/forum/people-search/

Old 06-09-2012, 09:18 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,413,404 times
On Ancestry.com there is a Baechler family tree posted, owned by "sebaechler". It lists mostly deceased folks. If the OP is looking for living descendants, he might do better to poke around in spokeo.com, or veromi.com, etc

Old 06-09-2012, 04:37 PM

19,852 posts, read 18,874,270 times
I looked in the naturalization records for Genesse CTY MI and found that they both became US citizens but I don't know how that will help to find living relatives. It will tell where they came from, what ship, their last foreign address, what US person signed for them, where they lived in the US, when they petitioned and when they received their citizenship--plus a photo and physical description.

Genesee County ----This is a local (to them) website where someone might be able to look up a marriage for Charlotte if she ever did get married. If you knew her married name, someone might be able to find something on any children, especially in a newspaper obituary that mentioned her family members. You might be able to find out whether or not your grandfather remarried and had children too. Please let us know if you find them--and I hope you do find them.

I've never needed to do any 20th century research or I might be better at it! I think you might also be able to contact the city hall or town hall (find out what they have there) and see if the clerk's office has a marriage record or birth records for any of Charlotte's children.

Old 06-09-2012, 05:58 PM

8,225 posts, read 14,940,197 times
Since you have some idea of dates of death, I'd search the local (Michigan) obituaries to see who is named next of kin. You could possibly write to the local paper and ask them to search their archives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search