U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 08:57 AM

10,840 posts, read 14,882,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellbell64 View Post
I'm trying to find any information on Scott Hooker.

He is my birth father (and does not know it)

Approx. age: 65.

He dated my mother in high school, (Barbara) Jeannie Arnold.

I'm trying to find him to let him know I exist and to get family medical history.
Have you called a few from the links provided? If you have, then you may realize that the person you are calling, might not be comfortable hearing from a stranger thinking they are a relative. They may be anxious, they may not believe what you are telling them, they may not want to think about the possibility that they have "other" children. It may be hard to explain everything in a short phone call. If the person being called is uncomfortable, they may try to cause their discomfort to go away, by telling the caller they have the wrong number, or even hang up. And there is always a chance their current spouse answers the phone.

A letter to the person with photo and explanation of why you think they may be your relative, would give them a chance to read it in their own privacy and absorb the details. If you enclose a stamped-self addressed envelope, ask them to reply back if they are, or are not, the one. That way you can eliminate that name from your search.

I hope you find him soon.

Old 07-30-2012, 02:47 PM

24 posts, read 30,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
Have you called a few from the links provided? If you have, then you may realize that the person you are calling, might not be comfortable hearing from a stranger thinking they are a relative. They may be anxious, they may not believe what you are telling them, they may not want to think about the possibility that they have "other" children. It may be hard to explain everything in a short phone call. If the person being called is uncomfortable, they may try to cause their discomfort to go away, by telling the caller they have the wrong number, or even hang up. And there is always a chance their current spouse answers the phone.

A letter to the person with photo and explanation of why you think they may be your relative, would give them a chance to read it in their own privacy and absorb the details. If you enclose a stamped-self addressed envelope, ask them to reply back if they are, or are not, the one. That way you can eliminate that name from your search.

I hope you find him soon.
Howard555,
Yes, for all the reasons you mentioned above it's a very risky call to make, I think especially when looking for a father. I have sent a few emails, and a letter in the mail is a good idea too for the ones I have a good address for.

Old 07-30-2012, 02:50 PM

Just want to add he is actually CLASS of 65 (not 64). The 64 reference you may find on him is a registration I made on a classfinders site trying to get more information. Thanks for everyones help!

Old 07-31-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Howard555,
Yes, for all the reasons you mentioned above it's a very risky call to make, I think especially when looking for a father. I have sent a few emails, and a letter in the mail is a good idea too for the ones I have a good address for.
mellbell:
A grandmother in a northeastern state asked for my help to locate her grandsons.
She had called several times, what she thought was, her daughter-in-law, over a period of years, and was always told that she had the wrong number.
This left her at a dead end of sorts.
Finally we located her grandsons, and sure enough, she had the right name and phone number all along.
Persons considering a call, should step back a little, and proceed very carefully.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Just want to add he is actually CLASS of 65 (not 64). The 64 reference you may find on him is a registration I made on a classfinders site trying to get more information. Thanks for everyones help!
class of 1965 = birth year, maybe, of 1947.

I have names and addresses of about 30 Scott Hooker's.
He might be on the list, or his own son might be on the list.
(or remotely his Father, who may have been born 1931 or before, assuming he was at least age 16 when Scott was born)

If you would like the list, let me know.

Maybe you have already tried to write a few, and can eliminate some of these Scott Hooker's that I have.
A couple are in Texas, but Scott could have gone anywhere, when he returned from Vietnam.

Old 08-01-2012, 01:07 PM

Quote:
class of 1965 = birth year, maybe, of 1947.

I have names and addresses of about 30 Scott Hooker's.
He might be on the list, or his own son might be on the list.
(or remotely his Father, who may have been born 1931 or before, assuming he was at least age 16 when Scott was born)

If you would like the list, let me know.

Maybe you have already tried to write a few, and can eliminate some of these Scott Hooker's that I have.
A couple are in Texas, but Scott could have gone anywhere, when he returned from Vietnam.

Yes, I would like to see the list! I have seen many of them out there, but always looking for new ones!

Old 08-01-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
mellbell:
A grandmother in a northeastern state asked for my help to locate her grandsons.
She had called several times, what she thought was, her daughter-in-law, over a period of years, and was always told that she had the wrong number.
This left her at a dead end of sorts.
Finally we located her grandsons, and sure enough, she had the right name and phone number all along.
Persons considering a call, should step back a little, and proceed very carefully.
Great story,
Trust me, not a call I want to make-ever. And I wouldn't , except as a last, last, last resort! It's such a complicated emotional issue for people. Knowledge of a child that was not disclosed, or known about, to a current spouse can cause huge problems, even after 40+ years!

I see some of that in my own situation with finding my biological mother about 5 years ago. My step father isn't exactly on board with the idea of she or I finding Scott Hooker as he was my mothers first love. It was 47 years ago! My adopted mother had a VERY hard time with my finding my real mother, she felt so threatened by it. She couldn't even muster any empathy for the fact that I needed some medical history.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:25 PM

1,520 posts, read 2,263,611 times
birth records for texas:

https://familysearch.org/search/reco...ion_id=1949342

another search leaving out the first name:

https://familysearch.org/search/reco...ion_id=1949342

Last edited by 5thgenSF; 08-01-2012 at 07:35 PM..

Old 08-01-2012, 08:44 PM

1,520 posts, read 2,263,611 times
do you have any idea if Scott was from a jewish family? i've been following a few Hooker trails and some of them were Jewish and some were African American. i'm gonna post these links so i can close the browsers, but the trail i'm on now is Bernard Leroy Hooker, Bernard Leroy Hooker Jr., and Bernard Leroy Hooker III. Senior Hooker seemed to be a rabbi. His wife looks to have remarried from the trail i was on (Eva). Jr. .and III are listed in Georgia now.

birth of Jr.:
Bernard Leroy Hooker - Ancestry.com

https://familysearch.org/search/reco...ollection_id=1

Bernard Leroy Jr. Hooker
Texas, Birth Index, 1903-1997
birth: 01 Sep 1946 Harris,​ Texas
parents: Bernard Leroy Hooker,​ Eva Lucille Hitchcock

this next link shows bernard jr. marrying a carolyn seacrest. and the child is listed as "Lee", but it looks like he's really Bernard III.
My Genealogy Home Page:Information about Bernard Leroy Hooker, Jr

in Georgia:
Search Results - PeopleFinders.com

property purchased in Georgia by Bernard III:
Property Transfers | The Augusta Chronicle

Thomas W. Penley to Bernard L. Hooker III and Anna L. Hooker, 1.08 acres, Lot 8, Deed Book B687 Page 378. 4535 Etterlee Road, $44,900

and here's a posting from Bernard III (from 2001) inquiring about Bernard Sr. that was once living in Houston:

RootsWeb: HOOKER-L Bernard Leroy Hooker

might be the wrong trail but just wanted to save the links!

also found anna hooker and shannon hooker shoemaker (male) on facebook.

Last edited by 5thgenSF; 08-01-2012 at 08:56 PM..

Old 08-02-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Yes, I would like to see the list! I have seen many of them out there, but always looking for new ones!
Sending you a list of 37 Scott Hookers.

Sometimes in a direct message, the format copy-pasted, is not received in that format.
So, give me a couple hours.

Please reply back with any locations you might want searched.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search