U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2012, 12:29 PM

1 posts, read 735 times

Advertisements

Good Afternoon Everyone,

My 15 year old niece is trying to locate her birth father. She doesn't remember him at all. We recently found some pictures of him when he was holding her at 1 year of age. She was so excited when we found the pictures and would like me to help her locate her father.

His birth name is William Leroy William (street name Shateke); birthday September 22, 1969; born in NY. His last location was in Atlanta, GA. His mother's last know location was Rocky Mount, NC. Does anyone have any suggestions where to look for my niece's dad?

Thank you

Old 07-31-2012, 12:49 PM

1,520 posts, read 2,260,693 times
what is his mother's name? she might be easier to track.

Old 08-01-2012, 08:33 AM

8,764 posts, read 10,843,052 times
If you have his moter/father's name and location (or others in his family/tree), you might be able to check census records (1940 era) via Ancestry.com (free at the library). Actually, newer records, particularly with a common name like Williams, are difficult to tie-down. You can also search marriage and military records, and obituaries (parents or his name listed).

You might also be able to check old property records for that street and name (Depending on the area and how thorough the records are, you might get lucky).

What you need to get a good start is solid, reliable data (full names, relations, specific locations, etc.)

Old 08-01-2012, 09:35 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,260,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
If you have his moter/father's name and location (or others in his family/tree), you might be able to check census records (1940 era) via Ancestry.com (free at the library). Actually, newer records, particularly with a common name like Williams, are difficult to tie-down. You can also search marriage and military records, and obituaries (parents or his name listed).

You might also be able to check old property records for that street and name (Depending on the area and how thorough the records are, you might get lucky).

What you need to get a good start is solid, reliable data (full names, relations, specific locations, etc.)
i misunderstood that at first too. his "street name" is just his nickname.

Old 08-01-2012, 11:47 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,853,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasteofhoney7863 View Post

His mother's last know location was Rocky Mount, NC. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Would you know his Father's name?
Would you know his Mother's first name? (and middle name or initial)
In what year was she last known, to be living in Rocky Mount?
Is the last name William? (or Williams by chance)

Old 08-02-2012, 07:34 AM

606 posts, read 756,977 times
"birth father" generally implies that she was put up for adoption. Sounds though that she knew her dad, he's just out of the picture now for whatever reason. I understand not helping minors find adoptive parents, I struggle with teens/parents that are separated due to divorce, etc. I have a cousin that was taken when he was young to another state by his mother and everyone tried to find with no luck. He eventually found us when much older but his mother didn't want to give him any information, took awhile to get it out of her. Unfortunately for him, my uncle died a few months beforehand. Point being it's a struggle to know where to draw the line when it comes to minor situations.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:59 AM

5,128 posts, read 10,259,903 times
I am closing this thread for now. In general, no we do NOT help to search for anyone who is a minor and that is set in stone. We have helped posters, who were minors (posters do need to be 16 or older to post here!) in the past searching for a parent, but in this particular case I think we need to know that the mother of the 15 year old is ok with this search, in that case I will open the thread up again. I know it it the AUNT posting, but I want to be sure that she is not going against the wishes of the guardian/parent of the 15 year old. OP, please send me direct message, thank you!

There has been a lot of concern about this thread and the policy in general... To clarify....
Poster asking for help in finding anyone under the age of 18 - not allowed.
Poster, aged 16 (age required to pst here) asking for help in finding a parent.... Only if they have permission from Custodial parent or guardian.

Thanks everyone for your co-operation.

forum rules, please read them

Last edited by katzenfreund; 08-02-2012 at 01:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.