U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 12:42 PM

1,961 posts, read 3,757,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
It's a peeve of mine when it's not listed in the obituary. My dad's was listed.

Do you know if your ex-GF is on FB? If so; look to see if the pages she likes are public; go thru them to see if there are any cancer or heart related. You can also contact her even though you're ex's; she may appreciate a message from you saying that you just found out she lost her dad & how sorry you are; what a nice guy he was along with a favorite memory or 2.
I agree contacting the Ex-GF just briefly to send a note of condolence (but not asking) may be the best route to go.

As for the first part of this post, there may be many many legitimate reasons the family has for not posting the cause of death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2015, 11:06 AM

1 posts, read 3,511 times
In the state of texas, specifically el paso city, its $4.95 for recent death certificates but you must be blood relative (brother, sister, mother, etc). After 25 years it becomes public. I tried to get my step brothers death certificate and was rejected by the county building clerks office.

Old 08-01-2015, 05:38 PM

10,832 posts, read 14,836,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joliefan View Post
In the state of texas, specifically el paso city, its $4.95 for recent death certificates but you must be blood relative (brother, sister, mother, etc). After 25 years it becomes public. I tried to get my step brothers death certificate and was rejected by the county building clerks office.
Is that 25 years only in Texas or nationwide. We need one from New York going back 80 years and have not had time to call the appropriate office.

Old 08-01-2015, 09:55 PM

5,225 posts, read 8,384,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
Is that 25 years only in Texas or nationwide. We need one from New York going back 80 years and have not had time to call the appropriate office.
Unfortunately there are no common, or nationwide, rules. The rules on if, when, and who can apply for copies of vital records varies according to what ever jurisdiction holds the records. Could be state, county, or city.

For instance, I was able to get my mother and father's 1942 marriage cert from Akron, Ohio , and my mother and step-father's from 1948 Detroit MI no problem, but not my Father and step-mother's from 1950 Yonkers, NY ( only the couple themselves can get copy).

I got grandparent's death certs from 1973 Colorado with a simple form and copy of both my birth cert, and my father's birth cert. But my father's 1921 Indiana birth cert took a notarized form, and my birth cert.

Also all have fees they charge.

Also was able to get great-grandparent's death certs from 1921 TN and 1926 OH off the Internet (TN State archives and Ohio Historical Society )

Last edited by reed303; 08-01-2015 at 10:04 PM..

Old 08-01-2015, 11:19 PM

7,594 posts, read 4,674,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj185 View Post
While a record of death, such as the social security master death index, is public; the actual death certificate which states cause of death etc can only be obtained by someone who can prove a legal need or relationship.
I was able to get a copy of my ex-husband's death certificate just by filling out an application and enclosing a fee.

This was in Los Angeles County.

Old 08-02-2015, 07:39 AM

396 posts, read 368,209 times
In most states, you can get an informational death certificate simply by requesting one and paying the fee. A certified copy, however, is usually only available to immediate family or the estate's executor. Check the government website for the city/town in which he died for more info.

Old 09-27-2015, 12:30 AM

1 posts, read 3,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Unless she shows you the death certificate, it isnt your business.

Ask your gf to look at a copy if you are curious. I doubt it will go over well, though.

By law a coroner would be sued for disclosure. There are some privacy rights left in this country.
what is the point of being so rude? The guy was just trying to figure out what happened with someone he cared about. I'm in the same boat. A guy in my fire team took his life, he was a foster child until he joined, so I don't know his family. I can't find anything about what happened or where it happened, so I cant even visit his grave. Be a little bit more empathetic, yeah the guy isn't blood related, but he did say he was like a father. Things like that hold weight when it comes to emotions.

Old 09-27-2015, 12:16 PM

10,832 posts, read 14,836,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quantumfisics View Post
A guy in my fire team took his life, he was a foster child until he joined, so I don't know his family. I can't find anything about what happened or where it happened, so I cant even visit his grave.
Start a question of your own and maybe someone can find something to assist you.

Old 09-27-2015, 02:04 PM

5,225 posts, read 8,384,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quantumfisics View Post
A guy in my fire team took his life, he was a foster child until he joined, so I don't know his family. I can't find anything about what happened or where it happened, so I cant even visit his grave.
In case he was buried in one of the National Veteran's Cemeteries, you can look up his name at this VA webpage. Good luck.......

Nationwide Gravesite Locator

Old 09-29-2015, 11:42 AM

1 posts, read 3,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Unless she shows you the death certificate, it isnt your business.

Ask your gf to look at a copy if you are curious. I doubt it will go over well, though.

By law a coroner would be sued for disclosure. There are some privacy rights left in this country.
Your first sentence is a premature, logically unsupported conclusion likely to cause resentment and harm.
Your second sentence commands someone to make a request.
Your third sentence encourages a feeling of futility.
Your fourth sentence foments the threat of litigation.
Your final sentence attempts to justify all the preceding with socio-centrism, a pathology of the mind.
K.D.T.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search