U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 09:58 PM

1 posts, read 164,165 times

Advertisements

I wasn't sure whether to go in the genealogy forum or here, but how would you find out how someone died?

My ex-girlfriend's dad died 7 years ago. He was like a second father to me, though. Unfortunately, we had kinda lost contact when me and my girlfriend had gone our separate ways.

I was looking at an obituary for an old family friend of mine a few days ago when I found out that he had died in 2006. He was always a healthy, nice guy and hadn't even reached his 40s when he died, so it really makes me wonder what happened. It's been gnawing at my mind since I discovered it last week, so I finally decided to do some research (without success, unfortunately)...

I would ask his family, but as I said earlier, we aren't exactly close to each other anymore...

So is there any way to discover a cause of death? It only states in the obituary that he "died at home," whatever that could suggest, and the closest things to death records that I've come across are on Ancestry.com and Archives.com. I don't need any SSN info or any other sensitive info like that, I'd really just like to know how he died.

I guess information like this isn't meant to reach non-family members like myself that easily, but it really would be nice. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 03:13 PM

1 posts, read 163,707 times
I'm sorry I don't have an answer as I was searching for similar information. I've always been curious that, if a death was from other than natural causes, why that fact isn't posted in the obituary. I realize that most obituaries are written by family members who, understandably, are not exactly in a frame of mind to relive unfortunate events (if, for instance, the loved one was killed, intentionally or not). So, I suppose, the only way of getting such information is from a death certificate (and it will be clinical, and not necessarily detailed as to who, what, when, where, how).

Old 04-03-2013, 09:25 AM

11,250 posts, read 19,764,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgreene1124 View Post
I guess information like this isn't meant to reach non-family members like myself that easily, but it really would be nice. Thank you!
Agreed, the death certificates are usually available only to close family members. My only other suggestion is talking to neighbors or friends who might have remained close to your ex-GF's father.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:32 AM

10,832 posts, read 14,836,702 times
Try to become just a friend to your ex-girl friend. She knows the cause of death.
Death at home would be attended by the local coroner. Try calling them for the cause of death. They were there and in almost all cases of a death in an accident or the home, the coroner arrives and does a report on the event. Good luck on it.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:01 AM

14,505 posts, read 23,767,146 times
Unless she shows you the death certificate, it isnt your business.

Ask your gf to look at a copy if you are curious. I doubt it will go over well, though.

By law a coroner would be sued for disclosure. There are some privacy rights left in this country.

Old 04-03-2013, 04:33 PM

239 posts, read 474,628 times
I thought death certificates were public records.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:58 AM

64 posts, read 280,410 times
What state did the death occur in?

Old 04-06-2013, 08:45 AM

1,097 posts, read 1,732,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkansas Mac View Post
I thought death certificates were public records.
While a record of death, such as the social security master death index, is public; the actual death certificate which states cause of death etc can only be obtained by someone who can prove a legal need or relationship. Different states have different time-frames when these become public record - often 20 - 50 years from the death.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:04 AM

10,665 posts, read 21,336,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgreene1124 View Post
I wasn't sure whether to go in the genealogy forum or here, but how would you find out how someone died?

My ex-girlfriend's dad died 7 years ago. He was like a second father to me, though. Unfortunately, we had kinda lost contact when me and my girlfriend had gone our separate ways.
It's a peeve of mine when it's not listed in the obituary. My dad's was listed.

Do you know if your ex-GF is on FB? If so; look to see if the pages she likes are public; go thru them to see if there are any cancer or heart related. You can also contact her even though you're ex's; she may appreciate a message from you saying that you just found out she lost her dad & how sorry you are; what a nice guy he was along with a favorite memory or 2.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:11 AM

10,832 posts, read 14,836,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
she may appreciate a message from you saying that you just found out she lost her dad & how sorry you are; what a nice guy he was along with a favorite memory or 2.
I agree with Roselvr on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search