Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 01:30 PM

77 posts, read 169,117 times

Advertisements

My mother would like to know what happened to her step-brother, Edward Radford Poole Jr (born around 1940/41). He was convicted of a murder in San Diego around 1970. My Aunt remembers that he was charged with manslaughter or second degree murder. He may have been in the Navy at the time.

I'm hoping one of you search angels have access to old court records and could shed some light on this family secret. He would be 70-years-old today. If he is still alive my mother would love to contact him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 01:42 PM

I just found his DOB 3-16-1942 (Los Angeles County)

Old 03-17-2011, 02:56 PM

1,830 posts, read 5,338,714 times
Online court records for San Diego Superior Ct are 1974-present, and he isn't in them. Nor is he in the appellate ct records. Pre-1974 are archived and you must go there in person to search.

I checked CA prison database and he doesn't show up. He doesn't show up in an address search using his birthdate.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:39 AM

hcgCali...every thread I have posted you have always come to my aid. I just want to "Thank You" for all you do here for others.

After posting this I did find a newspaper article dated 3-2-1965 on ancestry. He was arrested on 3-1-1965 in the killing of Eva W. Croft, 54, bar owner. Her body was found at 9am on Wednesday 2-24-1965. He was a radarman on the guided missile destroyer USS Hoel.

It says, he choked her to death & then pierced her body with two pool cues. He then got in a cab & went back to the Naval base. He was identified by a taxi driver who drove a sailor from the bar to the base.

I would still like to see the court documents. But we live in NJ. He told my Aunt he didn't do it. I'm certain that after getting out of prison he had a legal name change. It does say he was divorced in June 1962 & had a 4-year-old daughter. I'd like to find his daughter if possible.

Old 03-18-2011, 02:14 PM

1,830 posts, read 5,338,714 times
If your goal is to connect with the daughter, it may be best to let the criminal stuff go. You'll be opening old wounds they've been trying to supress for 46 years. In fact, for all you know she was adopted by a stepfather and was never told of her bio-father's criminal history. Do you really want to pop into someone's life with the news you've posted above? And if she does know.... well, in all your searches for him, did you see any sign of a daughter searching for his step-family?

My unsolicited advice is to think about it a little while before going further. Then if you decide to continue, you already have the tools to to find her birth record and can do so without putting her name on this forum. If you need help locating her after you've identified the right person, you can DM any of the regular searchers for help/advice in private. She was a little girl living with her mother when all this happened and doesn't deserve to have her name in this thread connected to that murder.

As a seasoned searcher speaking to a new searcher, never get so caught up in solving your puzzle that you forget there are real human beings with feelings and real lives behind those names and you should strive to never harm or embarrass anyone involved in your searches. If you think he changed his name to escape the stigma of the crime, then why would you think it's acceptible to connect the child's name with it? If you only want to find her to question her about his crime, leave her be and buy the court transcript yourself. If you want to find her because she's the child of your mother's stepbrother and may know where he is, then be silent about the crime unless she brings it up. And do all your homework first before contacting her... like talking to her mother first, if she's available. Because if she doesn't know anything about her father or the murder, it's not your place to spring it on her. Besides, if the mother doesn't have the info you seek, the daughter won't have it either.

Old 03-18-2011, 02:31 PM

Excellent advise! I haven't found anything on ancestry & need additional help.

I'm 46-years-old & I've been through this delicate process a few times when finding my sister (6 years ago) that was put up for adoption & when finding my birth father (just last month).

My intent is for his daughter to reconnect with my mother & Aunt whom thought very highly of their step-brother. Of course I would check the details before jumping into her life.

DUE TO THE DELICATE NATURE OF THE SITUATION IF ANYONE HAS INFORMATION ON EDWARD RADFORD POOLE JR'S EX-WIFE OR DAUGHTER PLEASE SEND ME INFO IN A DIRECT MESSAGE.

Old 03-18-2011, 06:48 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,355,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcgCali View Post
If your goal is to connect with the daughter, it may be best to let the criminal stuff go. You'll be opening old wounds they've been trying to supress for 46 years. In fact, for all you know she was adopted by a stepfather and was never told of her bio-father's criminal history. Do you really want to pop into someone's life with the news you've posted above? And if she does know.... well, in all your searches for him, did you see any sign of a daughter searching for his step-family?

My unsolicited advice is to think about it a little while before going further. Then if you decide to continue, you already have the tools to to find her birth record and can do so without putting her name on this forum. If you need help locating her after you've identified the right person, you can DM any of the regular searchers for help/advice in private. She was a little girl living with her mother when all this happened and doesn't deserve to have her name in this thread connected to that murder.

As a seasoned searcher speaking to a new searcher, never get so caught up in solving your puzzle that you forget there are real human beings with feelings and real lives behind those names and you should strive to never harm or embarrass anyone involved in your searches. If you think he changed his name to escape the stigma of the crime, then why would you think it's acceptible to connect the child's name with it? If you only want to find her to question her about his crime, leave her be and buy the court transcript yourself. If you want to find her because she's the child of your mother's stepbrother and may know where he is, then be silent about the crime unless she brings it up. And do all your homework first before contacting her... like talking to her mother first, if she's available. Because if she doesn't know anything about her father or the murder, it's not your place to spring it on her. Besides, if the mother doesn't have the info you seek, the daughter won't have it either.
YES! You told it right!

Old 03-20-2011, 09:39 AM

5,297 posts, read 7,598,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFoxNJ View Post
Excellent advise! I haven't found anything on ancestry & need additional help.

I'm 46-years-old & I've been through this delicate process a few times when finding my sister (6 years ago) that was put up for adoption & when finding my birth father (just last month).

My intent is for his daughter to reconnect with my mother & Aunt whom thought very highly of their step-brother. Of course I would check the details before jumping into her life.

DUE TO THE DELICATE NATURE OF THE SITUATION IF ANYONE HAS INFORMATION ON EDWARD RADFORD POOLE JR'S EX-WIFE OR DAUGHTER PLEASE SEND ME INFO IN A DIRECT MESSAGE.
Good post. I am sure you will handle this matter correctly and delicately. Good luck.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:10 AM

3 posts, read 3,065 times
Eddie was my uncle. I do know his first wife's name, as well as their daughter's name. I do not know how to send a message privately...

Old 02-20-2013, 10:50 AM

7,486 posts, read 13,518,013 times
Default How to send DM's

Quote:
Originally Posted by jangelgirl View Post
Eddie was my uncle. I do know his first wife's name, as well as their daughter's name. I do not know how to send a message privately...
Using the "Quick Links" pulldown, select "Direct Messages", then look down left side for link "Send New Message", use other persons screen name as address. You will be alerted to replies on the upper right of screen as "Unread"

Even quicker is to click on the other posters screen name in one of their posts !!

Last edited by reed303; 02-20-2013 at 10:52 AM.. Reason: more
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search