U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 10:55 PM

149 posts, read 218,305 times

Advertisements

I don't know where to start. First I was adopted from the Cradle in Evanston IL in 1973. I have no intrest in finding my birth parents but would like to see if I have siblings, I don't know where to start. I was born in February of 1973 and adopted in June of the same year. My Adoption was sealed and don't have much to go on. I know I am 3/4 Italian and 1/4 English. I am going to make an appointment to see a counselor at the Cradle in the coming weeks. If you have any ideas please let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 11:09 PM

4,554 posts, read 5,470,015 times
I wish you the best in your search but I don't really have a lot of help to offer.

Have you checked old telephone directories from Evanston at the time to find other relatives? I assume you have already contacted vital records for a search.

I have an older sister who was given up at birth. When I think about what I would say to her if I were to find her it wouldn't be much good as I consider her the lucky one. She is the one who missed the suicide attempts and violent outbreaks from mommy dearest. I understand the feeling of always having something missing but consider that you may be richer than you think for having a better chance at life.

Keep us posted and I really do hope it works out well for you.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:17 PM

No I haven't done that, I can relate but mine is almost the same My Adopted Mother Died not even a year after my adoption 13 months after I was born and my father who I haven't spoken to in almost 21 years made me feel that her death was my fault. I was suppose to have one more Sibling (they where planning on adopting 2) however after her death my father married the first of 2 total dead beats so I ended up being an only child but I have always thought there might be a sister or a brother out there. Anyway I have gone on enough about me.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:31 PM

I also think the biggest problem is not knowing anything about the adoption, All I know is my Mom tried to care for me for a short time my father signed away his rights, my Birth certificate has my adopted parents both on it and where I was born and that is it.

Last edited by FlyBoyDC10AA; 04-25-2013 at 12:10 AM..

Old 04-25-2013, 12:16 PM

4,554 posts, read 5,470,015 times
I am so sorry your adoptive dad failed to understand life and that a baby couldn't have any responsibility for what happened to his wife. However, as an adult you know you must not accept his problems but focus on the joy you gave her in her last year of life. She must have been totally at peace when she held you as an infant and dreamed of all you would become.

Have you also checked the local newspapers for birth announcements? Back in the day, there was often a lot of information printed about the newborn and parents.

Please also consider, and be prepared for the fact that if you do have a sibling, the family connection may not be there since you grew up apart from each other. You are risking a certain amount of rejection, through no fault of your own.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:24 PM

I know, no I know there was no birth announcement due to the fact I was adopted at the last minute and my parents had less then a day to buy all the baby stuff they needed, I know I was very close to my Mother's parents (who pretty much raised me and took full custody when I turned 18) I took care of her parents in there final years and my Grandmother passed away last year at the age of 90. As to the rejection I am aware of it and prepared for it, I just want to know if I have any siblings it would be nice to know that there are others out there. As to finding my Parents that is something I am not really interested in finding out about due to my rotton childhood and do not want to go down that street again.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:00 PM

Well I know what I need to do, I need to make an appointment with the Cradle as soon as they call me back and I need to try and get my original birth certificate (I am going to do that next week) and go from there. I guess the first step is finding out who my parents where (I don't have to contact them) and then start the search for any siblings

Old 04-25-2013, 01:18 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,850,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoyDC10AA View Post
I was adopted in Evanston IL in 1973. I have no intrest in finding my birth parents but would like to see if I have siblings. I am going to make an appointment to see a counselor at the Cradle in the coming weeks.
I'll send you a couple links from a previous question. When you go to Cradle, keep in mind the information that those links provide you.

Quote:
My Adopted Mother Died not even a year after my adoption 13 months after I was born and my father who I haven't spoken to in almost 21 years made me feel that her death was my fault. I was suppose to have one more Sibling (they where planning on adopting 2) however after her death my father married the first of two
Have you considered re-establishing contact with your Father? He may be able to help. He may know things you do not know, but want to know. Also, does he have any brothers and sisters you might try to contact. If there was another child they may likely be aware of it.

Quote:
I also think the biggest problem is not knowing anything about the adoption as my Birth certificate has my adopted parents both on it and where I was born and that is it.
You need the sealed birth certificate to get your birth parents names, and those links can help you. It's relevant to Illinois.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
I'll send you a couple links from a previous question. When you go to Cradle, keep in mind the information that those links provide you.

Have you considered re-establishing contact with your Father? He may be able to help. He may know things you do not know, but want to know. Also, does he have any brothers and sisters you might try to contact. If there was another child they may likely be aware of it.

You need the sealed birth certificate to get your birth parents names, and those links can help you. It's relevant to Illinois.
I got it all thank you so much, I can't reply to your private message (I guess being new I am only allowed 1 a day) but I know what I need to do and how to start the process. The Cradle is closed right now (not sure why but they will be back opened Monday) which is fine it gives me time to figure out a few things. As to contact with my Father that is not going to happen, I flushed him out of my life over 20 years ago and have not had contact with him since and prefer to keep it that way. No He had a sister (my Aunt) but sadly she passed away several years ago. And the last one that would have knowledge of my adoption also passed away last year.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post

Howard I am sorry I can't do this in a private Grrr LOL ..... Anyway I am not looking for those Brother and Sisters since I was an only child..... I am looking for my Blood Siblings well I guess they probably would be half siblings if I have any
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search