U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 01:57 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,787,456 times

Advertisements

Ellen M. Gustafson Obituary: View Ellen Gustafson's Obituary by Star Tribune

Are you sure she was alive in 2009? The above link is for an obituary for Ellen M Gustafson. Her maiden name was Strom and, from what I could find, her date of birth was 26 of December 1921.

If you think this is a possibility we can attempt to get current contact information for surviving family members.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 07:46 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,868,441 times
ElizNJ,
Hopefully what you have found is correct, but the Op was not aware of Ellen having a brother. Also, his Father had contact information for Ellen in 2009. Hans may report back soon and clarifies those details.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:58 AM

11 posts, read 9,690 times
[SIZE=5]ElizNJ[/SIZE]
I have doublechecked my papers that I have recived from my father and I can`t find information about Ellen being alive in 2009, but the problem is Bert, the brother...(Although, in Norway my great-grandfather was calles BerNt Fredtkjof/Fritjof? StrÝm). But, this was usefull information, we are just awaiting confirmation from another investigator:-)
Thanks...

Old 07-24-2013, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans-Petter Rustad View Post
I have doublechecked my papers that I have recived from my father and I can`t find information about Ellen being alive in 2009, but the problem is Bert, the brother...(Although, in Norway my great-grandfather was calles BerNt Fredtkjof/Fritjof? StrÝm). But, this was usefull information, we are just awaiting confirmation from another investigator:-)
Thanks...
That is good if you have found an investigator in Europe to help you. Maybe they will be successful. At some point you might want let them finish their work and come to some conclusions. We all have them in our own phone book yellow pages but rarely used unless there is a reason to locate someone immediately due to medical or other emergency reasons.

Are you confirming that Ellen Strom in the obituary found by ElizNJ is Mabel's daughter? And that your great grandfather's name was Bert Fred Strom?
The only slightly curious part about the obituary is that it did not mention her sister Elizabeth, or her Mother but then again she may not have been close to them.
---------------------------------------
I've only found someone who may be a distant relative of yours and being a genealogy person their findings may be limited and take some time.
You can look though the forum and contact anyone you wish and ask them to try to help you. When I am at my computer throughout the day I have time to look around. It's as simple as that and nothing more than that.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:28 AM

Sorry, I come from Norway and my English isn`t perfect. When I used the the frase "investigator" I was talking about a "friend" that was helping my father with research a few years ago, and that might help me with my research. Just a kind person that helps me to locate my family! Sorry but my English isn`t what it was when I went to school 25 years ago. Its not that often I talk/write English althoughI watch tv daily from England/USA!
Again, sorry

Old 07-24-2013, 07:30 AM

Ellen didn`t live in Minnesota, but she lived in Michigan, perhaps in Flint?

Old 07-24-2013, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans-Petter Rustad View Post
Ellen didn`t live in Minnesota, but she lived in Michigan, perhaps in Flint?
When did she live in Michigan? (Detroit or Flint)
I think you said she graduated high school in 1941 in Wisconsin and "at some point after that" moved to Detroit with her Mother. If "some time after that" is a totally unknown year, such as 1942 or after, then the Ellen in the obituary may be the right one.

You need to locate the last known year and location where she lived. If Drummond County Wisconsin and 1941 is the last known location and "date" for Ellen, then your search has not really started as that was 72 years ago. It's easy to let free sites "convince" you it's correct. If her last known location was Detroit or Flint, you need the "year" to be able to eliminate Brooklyn Park, MN.

Brooklyn Park, MN is a few hundred miles from Detroit, but she may have married into the Gustafson family and moved to Minnesota. And the obituary does show her middle initial as M and her birth year as 1922.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:05 AM

Default When Ellen lived where?

Well, when my father made some research 5-6 years ago the last place the uncles of Carrie, the person that helped him, knew that Ellen lived was in Michigan and my father believed that they said "Flint", when they said the name of the place. The connection with the phones were bad, and the uncles and my father were old.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:06 AM

Default Graduated

She graduated Drummond High school in 1941.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:50 AM

As you may know from the 1910 census, Mabel had a brother named Edwin. I have some information about Edwin and I will send it to you.
Hopefully some of the more distant relatives of Mabel on the Overby side can remember details that can help you find Ellen and others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search