U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2013, 08:57 AM

1,107 posts, read 1,128,608 times

Advertisements

Hello -

My father was adopted, and I'm really interested to know that side of the family. He was born 7/11/47 in Framingham, MA. My dad doesn't like to talk about it, and I'm not very close with my father, so the combo of the two makes it really difficult to ask him questions. (Also currently I live in Tampa FL and he lives outside Springfield, MA and if anything I would want this an in person conversation)

I remember him telling me one time when I was a kid, but his original last name I believe was Albin - or something very similar (So his birth name would have been Andrew Albin) and that his mother died giving birth. My dad (and myself) have Neurofibromotis, it is a genetic disorder which if you have it - you have a 50% change of passing it on to your children. Of course he could have been random and neither of his parents had it, just a better chance for one of them to have it. He lived at Bright-side orphanage in W. Springfield, MA (about 2 hrs away from where he was born) and he was adopted when he was 7 years old.

More than likely my grandfather has passed away by now (of course he could still be alive) I'm just really curious about this side of my family, and my father never wanted to know.

If anyone has any info that could help me locate that side of the family I would appreciate it. for all I know his family could have remarried and I could have lots of cousins out there! My grandpa could even still be alive.

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2013, 10:54 PM

2,846 posts, read 4,303,960 times
You can search for his Mom's death certificate:
Massachusetts Vital Records From 1921 - 2013 - Order Online!
Registry of Vital Records & Statistics
Massachusetts Department of Public Health (DPH)
150 Mt. Vernon Street
1st Floor
Dorchester, MA 02125-3105

TEL: (617) 740-2600

Or,
Elections: Massachusetts City and Town Directory
FRAMINGHAM
TOWN CLERK
150 CONCORD STREET
ROOM 105
Phone: 508-532-5520
Fax: 508-628-1358
Email: valerie.mulvey@framinghamma.gov

Not knowing a first name & not totally sure of the spelling of the surname it would be best to do the search yourself. If you can't get to Massachusetts yourself than I suggest joining the Rootsweb genealogy mail list for Middlesex County, MA & ask if anyone on the list has access to MA death records & would do a search for you.

Send an e-mail to:
MAMIDDLE-D-request@rootsweb.com
Type "subscribe" in the subject & body of the e-mail. When you start receiving the digest then you can post to the list.

It may help to look in in either a 1947 Framingham city directory or telephone book (many towns continued to publish the old city directories along with the telephone books into the 1960's.) You can see what names are similar to ALBIN.

I looked up on www.ancestry.com the name ALBIN (using soundex search) in old Framingham city directories. I don't have a subscription, so I can't see past the index. I'm not sure what years these names are from, but this may help:
ALVIN
ALVINO
ALVENO
ALBINA
ALBINO
ALBION
ALBINGER
ALPINE
ALBENSO

You can look this up yourself on Ancestry. Many public libaries offer free access to Ancestry on their computers.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:26 AM

10,667 posts, read 21,340,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty458 View Post
Hello -

My father was adopted, and I'm really interested to know that side of the family. He was born 7/11/47 in Framingham, MA. My dad doesn't like to talk about it, and I'm not very close with my father, so the combo of the two makes it really difficult to ask him questions. (Also currently I live in Tampa FL and he lives outside Springfield, MA and if anything I would want this an in person conversation)

I remember him telling me one time when I was a kid, but his original last name I believe was Albin - or something very similar (So his birth name would have been Andrew Albin) and that his mother died giving birth. My dad (and myself) have Neurofibromotis, it is a genetic disorder which if you have it - you have a 50% change of passing it on to your children. Of course he could have been random and neither of his parents had it, just a better chance for one of them to have it. He lived at Bright-side orphanage in W. Springfield, MA (about 2 hrs away from where he was born) and he was adopted when he was 7 years old.

More than likely my grandfather has passed away by now (of course he could still be alive) I'm just really curious about this side of my family, and my father never wanted to know.

If anyone has any info that could help me locate that side of the family I would appreciate it. for all I know his family could have remarried and I could have lots of cousins out there! My grandpa could even still be alive.

Thank you in advance.
IMO; the easiest way to get answers is by doing a DNA test for health with 23andme. You do not have to share with him that they also give the ancestry service with the health test. As long as any of his relatives are in there; you could get a match. If you do not get a match at 1st; be patient because they are doing deals to have the largest database in the world.

This is how it works for adoption; this is not my post; so I can't answer questions; I just compiled the links to pass around-

There are groups of DNA search angels who will help you and educate you on how this works so you can then help others. People are finding their relatives every single WEEK~! do 23andme.com $99 and once you have those results upload to FTDNA.com for about $99 and to GEDmatch - gedmatch.com and DNA Tools - dnagedcom.com both free. See the DNA adoption Yahoo Groups below

*See 20% off offer 23andme - buy 1 kit at $99 get additional kits 20% off

FTDNA

GED Match- FREE Tools for DNA and Genealogy Research *Note; some of site down

DNA Tools FREE - has all of the links you'll need

------------------------------------------
DNA adoption Yahoo Groups

adoption DNA Yahoo Groups

23 and me- buy 1 kit at $99 get additional kits 20% off! They're really trying to have the largest registry!

How this offer works:
* Requires purchase of one kit at full price ($99)
* 20% off applies to each additional kit purchased in the same order
* Redeem online following the offer link
* No promo code needed

Old 09-03-2013, 07:32 AM

10,667 posts, read 21,340,667 times
Just found this Access to Original Birth Certificate
Citation: Ann. Laws Ch. 210, 5C
(Update) Adoptees may now have access to their ORIGINAL birth certificate without going through probabte court. It is law SB 63 and will take effect on 12-3-2007. Effective 12-3-2007, adoptees born on or before 7-14-1974 or on or after 1-1-2008 will have direct access to birth certificates through the Massachusetts Registry of Vital Records and Statistics. Because of this legislation, birth records can now be accessed without written consent of either birth parent. The RVRS is currently preparing a procedure to access to these birth certificates, so it is best to contact them directly for updated information. The main telephone number is (617) 740-2600, or they can be reached by email at vital.regulation@state.ma.us. For adopted individuals that were born between the ?-?-1974 and ?-?-2008 dates, there will be a voluntary registry created for birth parents who wish to provide their identities to their children.

Old 05-14-2016, 01:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,957 times
Default adopted father's first family

I'm writing for my daughter whose father has not been part of her life.
We believe he was adopted (he mentioned it occasionally), but his parents (now deceased) did not discuss this with him or us.
The Taunton, MA town hall said that my daughter cannot ask for his BC while he is alive, which we believe he is.
My daughter is an only child, and the possibility of finding her father's originalfamily is something she would like to do before it is too late.
Any ideas. Thank you.
Ame

Old 05-14-2016, 05:31 PM

2,846 posts, read 4,303,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by journeytohome View Post
I'm writing for my daughter whose father has not been part of her life.
We believe he was adopted (he mentioned it occasionally), but his parents (now deceased) did not discuss this with him or us.
The Taunton, MA town hall said that my daughter cannot ask for his BC while he is alive, which we believe he is.
My daughter is an only child, and the possibility of finding her father's originalfamily is something she would like to do before it is too late.
Any ideas. Thank you.
Ame

First of all, please start your own thread. This one is 3 years old.

Next, normally when one is legally adopted the birth cert is changed to list the adoptive parents.

Is there any older member of her father's family that may have some facts for you? Perhaps an older sibling of his, an uncle or cousin?

Another idea is for your daughter to try DNA testing. She might get a hit on someone from her father's bio family if one of them has done DNA testing. A lot of people do DNA testing for genealogical reasons. She may have to test with more than one company to get a hit, if she gets one at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search