Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 03:17 PM

285 posts, read 1,068,214 times

Advertisements

St Louis is nowhere near 4 hours away. Its about a 2 hour drive, maybe a bit less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2006, 07:12 AM
Glo Glo started this thread

21 posts, read 189,791 times
Default Thanks Juice!

Thanks Juice!
Thanks also for your offer of help. Really appreciate it. If the job moves forward, I'll contact you for more info.
Blessings!

Old 04-11-2007, 06:39 PM

Question What do you think? Marion or Carbondale??

The job is finally working out and we should be moving soon. But where: Marion or Carbondale?? Which do you think is a better for raising a family? Which High School is better? Which town has more homeschoolers? If we chose to live in Carbondale, my husband would have to commute to Marion. Am I mistaken or are all the good residential areas in Carbiondale to the West or South of town (and not East- which would make the commute easier?)
Any and all input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 04-11-2007, 11:18 PM

30 posts, read 167,743 times
Default Marion~

Used to work in C-dale and I noticed that there are alot of people that come and go over there since it is a college town....C-dale is only 15 mins away from Marion so it wouldn't be a long commute....The va hospital in marion is pretty nice....I know some of the veterns travel a while to go there instead of some other va hospitals. South c-dale is nice....and out east behind the c-dale clinic is nice but then you have a longer commute........There is some nice neighborhood right next to the VA in Marion and the VA is right next to I57 as well as very close to Route 13....Hope this helps.

Old 04-13-2007, 07:42 AM

Default Thanks. How about schools??

Thanks Bam!
Anybody with information on the comparative merits of Marion and Carbondale schools- especially the high schools??
Thanks.

Old 04-13-2007, 09:38 PM

Default Marion Unit 2

GLO, HERE IS SOME INFO ON MARION HIGH..

1501 South Carbon Street
Marion, Illinois 62959
Phone: (618) 993-8196

Welcome to Marion High School!

As Marion High School Principal, I would like to take this opportunity to welcome you to our school's web page. I hope this site provides you with the information and insight you are looking for.

The primary focus of the administration, faculty, and staff at Marion High School is to create and to provide a comfortable, safe learning environment for our students. In addition, we are committed to providing the students of our community with a well-rounded, standards-based curriculum that prepares them to be successful at the post-secondary level, as well as on the job. The faculty and staff at Marion High School are dedicated, caring individuals who are committed to teaching and making Marion High School a wonderful place to work and learn. If you have any further questions about Marion High School, please contact Principal Steve Smith at 993-8196.

Week of April 9 - 13, 2007
Marion High School Announces
National Art Competition Winners

STI Home

April Calendar

Daily Announcements

Marion High School Art Show
Marion High School
Tuesday, May 1st
6 - 8 p.m.

April 11- Pom Tryouts- (10th - 13th) Wilson Gym 3:30-8:00 p.m.

April 15- ACT Test Prep Seminar - 1- 6:30 pm- Cafeteria

April 17- AFS- Cafeteria- 7:30 pm

April 20- FFA Banquet Cafe/Aud. 3:15 - 8 pm

April 21-S.I. Healthcare "Prairie Heart Road Show" - Wilson Gym (8 am - 12 pm) Community Wide Event

April 23- Drama Cats Aud. - (All Week) 3:30 - 5:30 pm

April 25- PSAE Testing- W.C. Pavilion- Jr. Class

April 26- PSAE Testing- W.C. Pavilion- Jr. Class

April 27-Drama Cats Performance- Aud. - 7pm

April 28-Drama Cats Performance- Aud. - 7pm

April 30- Early Release Day 1:00 pm

http://mhs.marionunit2.org/index.htm (broken link)

Old 04-13-2007, 10:10 PM

677 posts, read 4,210,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glo View Post
Thanks Bam!
Anybody with information on the comparative merits of Marion and Carbondale schools- especially the high schools??
Thanks.
In terms of state testing, Carbondale High School is better. Specifically, Marion High School scored below the state average. There are three K-8 districts in Carbondale, two of which (130 and 140) performed very well on state testing. District 95 in Carbondale scored lower than the district in Marion.

Old 04-14-2007, 06:59 AM

Default Thanks. What areas?

Thanks guys.
Yes I've been looking at the websites of both High schools Bam. Very impressive. Actually we have appointments with Marion's principal Steve Smith and a guidance counselor at the Carbondale High school for later this month.
As you'd mentioned Kristenleigh, Carbondale's test results are better than Marion's. And they have a pretty new high school building. Marion I've heard is over crowded. Any idea when they will build Bam?
I'm also trying to guage openness to homeschoolers for part time enrolement & inclusion in district activities. Carterville definitely is not open! We'll find out more about Marion & Carbondale after we meet I suppose. If anybody has had experience with this, please post or PM me.
Also, how open are the two schools (& towns) to newcomers? To people from a different country (India in our case)??
Also what areas/ subdivisions in Carbondale make up the high scoring school districts?

Old 04-14-2007, 12:50 PM

Default C-dale vs Marion!

Your welcome......I have heard that it was crowded with alot of people moving to the area. We are getting a new grade school at Lake of Egypt/Creal Area right now which was needed. Also I heard that they were looking into building a new high school because it was crowded. Not sure when though....Ask Mr. Smith he will know.
I am pretty sure C-dale has two high schools right??? Or they use to..The one on the east is the newer one so if you where to move somewhere around the giant city road you children would prolly attend there. It is close to the mall and walmart...The other is pretty old from what I remember and is more on the west side of town....It is right in the middle of a neigborhood.....

Are you guys into outdoor things or more citylife....I just seen a group of people at lunch the other day with homeschoolers but don't know much about it.
I would say both school would be open to newcomers I know Marion is getting alot of newbies here lately. As to people from a different country I think either town would be open, Carbondale might be a little more open since they have the college, because the variety of people that attend some which decide to stay.

Old 04-16-2007, 08:40 AM

Default Thanks again Bam.

It is always great to hear from somebody who is so enthusiastic about thier home town. Thanks Bam.
Let's see: We live in town but enjoy visiting our friends out in the country and we do enjoy nature. By the way I've seen the great pictures you've posted of the places around Marion- excellent! Thanks for sharing them.
What we like doing mostly is hanging out with friends from church. And we are involved in church pretty heavily too. Kids are into theater, piano, swimming... And of course we homeschool- though our 15yr old does go to the local public school for a class in Theater. I've been pleased to find out about all the theater opportunities available to youth in and around Marion. We visited the Cultural & Civic center the only time we've been in Marion and were very impressed.
Thanks for all the input. What I've heard about Marion which kinda worries me is that it takes a little while for newcomers to be 'accepted'. The only time we were in Marion, we stopped at the Dairy Queen- everyone in there sort of stopped what they were doing and turned to 'look' at us!
Anyway, please keep the info. coming. Thanks.
Blessings!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search