U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 10:37 AM

1 posts, read 3,396 times

Advertisements

Hi, I grew up on 1000 block of Day St, 1965 moved to 1100 block of Marlborough St. Went to Chandler, Penn Treaty and Kensington. Have two brothers Pete and Ed. My grandparents and a few aunts lived in Fishtown or Port Richmond also. I recognize most of the names in the blogs. Spiller, I remember you because my brother would always be around by your house. He hung with one of the Babiaks on Crease street, you, your neighbor with the high step, his name escapes me. I know Joyce Windfelder and her entire family because they moved right next to us on Marlborough St, or maybe we moved right next to them. I remember the Brown, Judy Joyce and Donna and their parents. My mom use to make some of their clothes, she was an excellent semstress patternmaker while I was growing up. I am really seeking someone, I am not sure of the spelling but maybe someone knows. The McCullough family lived on the 1000 block of Crease St. The father was Al and he worked on the tugs on the river or had something to do with the river. If I remember correctly he had two daughters and his wifes name was Joan. I found out by accident that he was the best man in my mom and dads wedding. My dad was Ed Williams, aka Big Ed or Sugerfoot. He died when we were pretty young. There are lots of questions you should ask your parents and write down, but you never know you should do this until you are older. Now we are definately seeking some information about our parents. Al is one person that could help, if anyone knows any information about how I can contact Al McCullough (spelling) or information about Ed & Margot Williams when we were all younger or when my dad went into the service, please let me know. Before I was born he was an amature boxer, I think they held boxing or something at the Harmer Hall on Shackamaxon Street. By the way, this is Beatrice Williams, my married name is Hing. We need the information for legal reasons and it is really important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 11:17 PM

1,030 posts, read 2,994,698 times
I lived on the edge of Fishtown for a year and a half from 07-08, and I really have to say that the families in that neighborhood are cold and unfriendly.

I would really like to say nice things about the people... I'm sure they were really nice in the 50s, 60s, 70s.. but the people there now think being unfriendly to newcomers in the neighborhood is the thing to do.
I was very friendly to people in the neighborhood. I picked their trashcans up when they were thrown into the street. What do they do? Throw their trash in ours. Many times I smiled and waved, they just gave me the stink eye. I always was told it had racial issues, but I'm white.

I noticed this when I moved to a bad neighborhood in North Philly, and I get hi's, and bye's and nods, and smiles. Somebody today helped me get my car out, and I actually know the neighbors.

Although, again, I'm sure you guys had a nice neighborhood growing up, it really showed me how mean and trashy it could be. The one night a guy did talk to me, he was drunk, at a local bar. I was instructed "Not to talk to the black family on the corner. We act like they're not even there."

York and Memphis -nice hood. NOT!

Sorry, just keepin it real.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:04 AM

3 posts, read 9,537 times
Default Fishtown Bio

My cousin Kenny Loughlin, is in the final stages of a book written about Ensign John Lonergan of Palmer St.
John and 3 classmates were tragically killed by a drunk driver shortly after graduation from the U.S. Naval Academy, Annapolis.
The book chronicles John's life and the struggle of his family and friends to extract justice from an indifferent Legal and Parole system.
Kenny is looking for a publisher.

Regards,
Butch O'Connor/Dunton and Girard

Old 05-31-2010, 06:49 PM

2 posts, read 6,305 times
Hi I wa looking for info about my cousin Charles Glenn's memorial and ran across this blog. I live in Berlin, my mom and Dad raised Charlie's mom Dolores. I've been writng about things I remember growing up in Philly. I'll add this site to my favorites. I also joind the airForce in 1968.

Semper Fi Charlie and all the Marines!

Old 06-01-2010, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejb5736 View Post
Hi I wa looking for info about my cousin Charles Glenn's memorial and ran across this blog. I live in Berlin, my mom and Dad raised Charlie's mom Dolores. I've been writng about things I remember growing up in Philly. I'll add this site to my favorites. I also joind the airForce in 1968.

Semper Fi Charlie and all the Marines!
I grew up with Charlie. I joined the Marines 6 months (1965) before Charlie.
We where in the same company at Camp Pendleton and spent a few days together in Okinawa before we got our orders. That was the last time I saw him. I just found the letter I wrote home when I got the news he was killed. He was killed in July but before that his photo was on the front page of either the Phila. Bulletin or Inquirer. It showed him carrying a Vietnamese woman in his arms.

I knew his Mom and Dad. Dolores is deceased but I'm not sure about big Charlie.

Semper Fi
Butch

Old 06-16-2010, 07:42 AM

2 posts, read 6,305 times
Default Hi Butch

Yes Charlie died before Dolores. They are all buried at the cemetery in Beverly NJ. My dad help Dolores put together the memorial for Charlie and stayed active along with Dolores until he died. My dad and mom raised Dolores and her brother Ed who we knew as "Butzie". Dolorese mom my Aunt Helen had 7 or 8? children. When her husband died all Aunt Helen's family, my Aunt Gert, Aunt Dot, Aunt Cass and Aunt Alma as well as my mom and dad each took her children and rasied them. It was a different time back then and faimily was paramount!. Dolores never forgot her Uncle Jim and Aunt Eleanor. I'll post another memory of going to Charlies on Staurday nights and playing pinball.

Where are you located now? Also did you (or anyone else that reads these) know 2 girls Peggy Bernard or Susan Devers? Peggy lived on Shackamaxon adn I think Sue lived on Day street?

Bill

Old 06-17-2010, 07:07 AM

Hi Bill,

I'm in Northeast Philly. I'm about to sell my mom's house on Dunton St., Fishtown. The neighborhood is now a "hot" zip code--can't afford to move back.

I knew a Cookie Bernard. I think she lived on Shackamaxon St. She was married to another Fishtown Marine, Mike Casey but they divorced sometime back.

Are you in Berlin NJ or Germany?

Regards,
Butch

Old 07-24-2010, 07:17 PM

5 posts, read 11,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjohns2 View Post
We lived on Shackamaxon while attending Immaculate Conception about 1954 then moved to 414 Richmond Street and transferred to Chandler Elementary. Left for the west coast after a year at Penn Treaty. Had a chance to fly back for a visit about 6 years ago to find both homes torn down. Friends were Billy McHenry and his many brothers, Helen Muzyczka, family were Ukranian, Thelma Humphrey, Charlene DeMar and many others. If out there, share your memories.

I was born and raised in Fishtown. I used to live on E. Columbia Ave. But I guess I am a lot younger. I also went to Geroge C. Chandler school for only a year and a 1/2 then my butt was put in Catholic School. My mom and her brothers and sisters also went to Chandler so it has been around along time. If any of you knew the "Ludwig's" That is my family.

Old 07-24-2010, 07:33 PM

5 posts, read 11,928 times
Quote:
Yes Charlie died before Dolores. They are all buried at the cemetery in Beverly NJ. My dad help Dolores put together the memorial for Charlie and stayed active along with Dolores until he died. My dad and mom raised Dolores and her brother Ed who we knew as "Butzie". Dolorese mom my Aunt Helen had 7 or 8? children. When her husband died all Aunt Helen's family, my Aunt Gert, Aunt Dot, Aunt Cass and Aunt Alma as well as my mom and dad each took her children and rasied them. It was a different time back then and faimily was paramount!. Dolores never forgot her Uncle Jim and Aunt Eleanor. I'll post another memory of going to Charlies on Staurday nights and playing pinball.

Where are you located now? Also did you (or anyone else that reads these) know 2 girls Peggy Bernard or Susan Devers? Peggy lived on Shackamaxon adn I think Sue lived on Day street?

Bill
My Aunt Delores passed away April 26, 1998 on her Mother's birthday. I miss her very much. Not long after my Uncle Charlie passed. My Aunt Del did pass before my Uncle Charlie. I remember in the Immaculate Conception Church my Uncle Charlie sat in a wheel chair next to my Aunt Delores's casket right before we left to go to Beverly NJ to bury her. I cannot remember the date and year of his passing. ): Helen is my grandmother She passed away October 15th 1988 a few days after my little girl was born and she told me I was having a girl and that would be her last great grandchild born before she died. My gram always had a 6 and 7th sense and eyes in the back of her head. My Grandmom Helen had 9 kids. Jean, Delores, Edward, Gertrude (my mom), James(Jakie), Mary, George, Barbara, Bubbles, I think her name was Agnes she passed away young. Me and my grammy used to sit up in her bedroom until late at night talking. I used to love to spend the night with my grammy. My mom and dad took care of my grandmom. They made sure she ate, had clothes, took her to doctor appts. and anywhere she wanted or needed to go. My grandmom was the best! I live by her famous quotes. As far as my mom (Gert) she passed away July 24th 2002. I miss my mom and dad so much. I never stopped grieving over them. I am in NC by myself with no family. My dad's family here haven't spoke to me since my daddy's passing. ):

Old 07-28-2010, 01:39 PM

4 posts, read 19,768 times
Default Hi!

Quote:
Also did you (or anyone else that reads these) know 2 girls Peggy Bernard or Susan Devers? Peggy lived on Shackamaxon adn I think Sue lived on Day street?

Bill
Yes, I knew Peggy. I was best friends with Cookie, her sister, until '62, when I then moved to Pennsauken N.J. I lost touch with her and in the early 70's I searched her out and spoke with her a few times on the phone. By that time she was divorced from Michael Casey. I believe she said Peggy had gotten married, but I can't remember the name of the guy.

My name was Pat Kirby. I lived at 1107 Marlborough St, between the Brown' and the Carr's, from 51' to '62. Went to Chandler, Penn Treaty and Mastbalm. In '76 I became an official Kentucky Hillbilly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search