U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 06:14 AM

52 posts, read 49,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
From the link provided by Hopes
can you give more details about these facts?

"Louis Helen remarried (in 1948) not only with a certain McMillan (58 West Glenwood Ecorse, MI) , but she married for a third time with Mr. Walter Anthony Nikonowicz"

Were you able to locate Mr. McMillan and Mr. Nikonowicz?
What dates and locations do you have for them?

Did you ever locate Mr. Ward's Grandmother? What would have been her location? The nice obituary says Washington. Would that be Washington State, Washington, Texas, etc?
I wasn't able to find children of the second marriage (Mc Millan) but I found a daughter of the third marriage through Ancestry.com and facebook. Her name is Louise Anna White-Nikonovicz. She confirmed that her mother was married to Donald Ward, killed in Germany during WWII. Unfortunately, she didn't know much about him and she had no photos of her mother's first husband. Louise told me she is also trying to find siblings of the first and second marriage. She told me that her mother Louise Helen Rush had a mental breakdown in 1945 and that her first children Donna Sue and Mary Ellen Ward were taken away from her. In 1948 she remarried with McMillan( don't know his first name) and they moved to Ecorse, Michigan. Probably Donna Sue and Mary Ellen didn't move with her. Perhaps they were adopted by the family Ward or Rush??? Grandmother's name was Lena Ward, her name is mentioned in several documents... strange because Donald's parents are nowhere reported. Below I send you some letters of Louise Rush and John Wolfe. He was a half brother of Donald Ward, I guess.
Attached Thumbnails
Searching for relatives of Donald Ward, Pittsburgh PA-letter-louise-helen-rush.jpg   Searching for relatives of Donald Ward, Pittsburgh PA-letter-john-wolfe.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2013, 06:55 AM

10,835 posts, read 14,856,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benedikte Gijsbregs View Post
Because of my interests in World War II, I adopted the grave of an American soldier, Donald Ward (+ 16 Nov. 1944), at the military cemetery at Henri-Chapelle in Belgium. Donald Ward lived in Canonsburg. Since I was assigned to the grave, I searched for more information about him because it is my wish to locate relatives and contact them. Donald Ward was married to Louise Helen Rush-Ward. They had 2 daughters: Donna Sue Ward, born 4 November 1940 and Mary Ellen Ward, born 2 January 1944.
Can anyone help me to trace Donna Sue and Mary Ellen? I hope my questions will be answered some day. Thank you so much for your time.
That was a nice thing for you to do, to adopt the grave. There is an obituary for Mr. Ward which you have seen. Have you been able to locate anything about Mr. Ward's grandmother or the husband(s) of Louise?

Old 12-24-2013, 07:34 AM
bjh

30,752 posts, read 23,791,826 times
Try to find marriage records for the daughters as they likely have new surnames.

I looked briefly on familysearch.org but didn't find a match.

Old 12-24-2013, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benedikte Gijsbregs View Post
Grandmother's name was Lena Ward, her name is mentioned in several documents
This may be Lena. Born 1877 and died 1962 in Washington State.
Donald's obituary says she was alive when he died in 1944.
When was Donald born? Maybe around 1920.
His parents? Maybe around 1900.
His grandparents? Maybe around 1880.
Thus this Lena is old enough to be Donald's grandmother.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The letter from John Wolfe says Washington, Pa. (right?)
When Donald's obit says his grandmother lived in Washington, does that mean Washington State or Washington, Pa.

And Washington, Pa was the city whose newspaper ran the obituary? If so then the above Lena is not the right one since she was in Washington State.
Attached Thumbnails
Searching for relatives of Donald Ward, Pittsburgh PA-64413901_129547239510.jpg  

Old 12-24-2013, 08:45 AM

On that letter from Louise can you make out the complete address?
Any address in this city >> Ecorse, Michigan for Louis and McMillan?

Old 12-24-2013, 09:14 AM

43,012 posts, read 92,318,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
On that letter from Louise can you make out the complete address?
First Letter:

501 South Central Avenue
Canonsburg, PA

Second Letter:

435-1/2 Baird Avenue
Washington, PA

Old 12-24-2013, 10:40 AM

4,748 posts, read 4,030,009 times
Thank you so much for your kindness & consideration in honoring the memory of an American veteran. I will research and post what I discover. If I find the identities of any living descendents, I will private email them to you.

Old 12-25-2013, 05:40 PM

If you look at the 1940 census you see Donald age 27 was the grandson. John B. (age 69) and Lena L. (age 71) Ward were the heads of the household. Since Lena is named in the obituary and the 1940 census shows Donald's death date as 1944, then this should be the correct household.

Donald was age 27 but instead of living out on his own he lived with his grandparents.
Why may be the clue to the whereabouts of his parents which you know nothing about.

The Ward's had two other adults living there in 1940.
Phillip B. Rush age 71, and a Homer Renner age 28 who died in 1962.
Phillip was the same age as Lena, and since Donald was the grandson then Phillip must be Louise Helen's grandfather.

What tied these two family names together?

Donald Ward living with his grandparents and not out on his own or with his own parents.
He married the granddaughter of Phillip Rush, who for some reason was living with the Ward's.
--------------------
Donald and Louise had two daughters. Louise lost the kids and remarried in 1948.
Where did the kids go?
The possibilities appear to be they stayed with the Wards and/or their great grandfather Phillip Rush. However those three adults were ages 69-71-71 before the girls were even born, so the younger girls could not live with them too many years longer. Why would the grandparents let the girls go to social services to be adopted or put in foster homes?

What about Phillip's wife? Maybe she was deceased before 1940.
If Louise Helen was their only grandchild then there are no siblings of Louise Helen's to be found.

Maybe Donald's parents died in an accident and/or he was adopted by his grandparents.

Last edited by howard555; 12-25-2013 at 06:10 PM..

Old 12-25-2013, 05:56 PM

8 posts, read 66,160 times
My mom grew up a few streets over from S. Central in Canonsburg. She was born in 1944. I'll see if she can help!

Old 12-25-2013, 06:16 PM

I went back to the census to look for Homer C. Renner. He was one year older than Donald and he enlisted in the Army too. And he was also married according to the 1940 census.
Why was Homer C. Renner (married) living with the Ward's?
Alot of names of parents and wives are missing. Donald's parents, Homer's wife, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search