Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 12:48 PM

28 posts, read 36,180 times

Advertisements

I have been searching for my birth father for 30 years. I am 43 years old. When I was 12 I was told that my dad wasn't my real dad and I had another father in van nuys, california. I dont have much info, but probably have alot more info than most adoptees get about their birth families.
His name Is Gary Leslie Marks DOB 8/3/43
He has a sister Patricia Hackett ( Marks ) a brother Jeff Marks. They were raised in Ridgewood, new jersey
Gary's parents were Gilbert and Dorothy Marks both deceased in 1993. I was told that he had remarried a few more times and had more children. He would be 69 years old by now and may not even be living anymore but one can always hope right ? If anyone knows him and is willing to help me make contact with him or my half siblings please contact me.

Tara Ann Marks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 01:48 PM

270 posts, read 378,495 times
Tara,
I'm looking around. Do you know if Gary's Mother's maiden name was Firks? So far I'm thinking this might be of help.

Gary L. Marks Age 69
17032 Burbank Blvd, Apt. 5
Encino, CA

818-501-0145

I'll keep looking.

Old 05-24-2013, 01:52 PM

Thank you for looking. There is a Gary Leslie Marks in Los Angeles, but thats not the right guy lol
I am not sure of my grandmothers maiden name. I even have a picture, but i dont know how to post it.

Old 05-24-2013, 02:12 PM

OK, I think the name and number I just gave you is the Gary Leslie Marks from Los Angeles that maybe moved? I think that one married a girl named Donna Catch. Both were 18 when they married, lived in LA. He went to Pepperdine College. Let me go check the birth dates again. It would be too bizarre for them both to have the same name and same birth date.

I did find his father, Gilbert L. Marks, dob 23 NOV 1916, died 15 SEPT 1993. Died in Ridgewood, NJ. I haven't found his mother yet.

Old 05-24-2013, 02:32 PM

Tara, the name and number I gave you in Encino is the exact birth date! Did you already call someone and they said you had the wrong person? I'll go check the Social Security Death Index and get back to you.

Old 05-24-2013, 03:23 PM

I dont see him in the SSDI, so I'm thinking he is alive.

I found Jeffrey Alan Marks, age 61, used to be in Ridgewood and Mount Holly, NJ, now living in Mission Viejo, CA.

22666 Sweetmeadow
Mission Viejo, CA
949-460-0444

The names associated with him in NJ were: Patricia, Bailey, Lindsey, Barbara, and Amy. His sister's name was Patricia, and living near by him in CA is Bailey Marks. This has to be Gary's brother.

If you called Gary's house in CA and spoke to his wife, she would probably tell you you had the wrong person. That is very common. I think the number in Encino does not have a wife connected to it. Try that one. Or, try Jeffrey. If you can at least establish that their parents are Gilbert and Dorothy, then you know you have the right family and they just don't want to play, lol.

Old 05-25-2013, 09:20 AM

Helo !! You certainly gave me some new information that I didnt Have before. I knew his brothers name was Jeffrey but didnt know a date of birth or middle initial. His sisters name is Patricia Hackett and I found her when I was about 15 and got to connect with my cousins Brad and Tracy. But .. you know how it goes with teenagers. As soon as I get the nerve up, I am going to call Jeff Marks in CA. I emailed Pat last night, hoping to get a response from her regarding the where abouts of her brothers lol. Gary had burned bridges with his family and he wasnt heard from for many years. He didn't want to be found by me when I was 15 and he probably still doesnt want me. But one can always hope that a man would grow up and feel differently about his first born child regardless of where his life took him. Thank you all for your searches and I will not forget you if and when I do make contact. I may look into getting copies of the adoption paperwork from new jersey.

Old 05-25-2013, 01:01 PM

14,362 posts, read 20,431,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtp8903 View Post
I may look into getting copies of the adoption paperwork from new jersey.
Tara:
Read this article. There are laws that began in many states a few years ago. These laws make getting adoption records and sealed birth certificates alot easier.

As adoptees seek roots, states unsealing records - USATODAY.com

A couple people in Illinois had little or no trouble getting their birth certificate despite being adopted.

Call the N.J. vital records office and be assertive with them.
Don't ask if they have heard about the new laws.
Tell you them you know about the news laws and you want to know how the new laws can help you.

Old 10-05-2013, 11:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,686 times
Gary marks in Los Angeles is my father!! His parents names were not Gilbert or Dorothy. Nor was his brother named Jeffrey, good luck on your search

Old 04-10-2014, 10:00 AM

Default Searching for birth father

Good morning !!! I have only read the first page of comments here, But I have to say that this post might as well be explaining my life. I am an adult who was adopted by my moms 2nd husband when i was 2 years old. I have been searching for my birth father for over 30 years. My adopted dad told me when i was 12, and not in a very nice way. That was in 1982.
I was told my father did not want anything to do with me and that he willingly gave up his rights. but since I have never met him and have not heard those words from his mouth, I dont want to believe it. The info i was able to gather on my birth father leads me to believe that he married again and had more children. Coming from my perspective, I would want to know about brothers or sisters that i may have out there.
I think it is better to be honest with your daughter about her older brother when she is old enough to understand.
Rather than having him find her on facebook or showing up at your door. My fathers new life is what stops me from following through on my searches for him. In case he was a coward and never told anyone about me, i wouldnt want to upset any of his kids or his new wife . I grew up never feeling loved or wanted and so wished I could find the other half of my family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search