U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 09:55 AM

8 posts, read 12,229 times

Advertisements

I am trying to locate my birth father Harold Reid or Reed ( not sure of the spelling) and his parents Art and Pauline. I was born on August 15 1960 to Wilma Jeane Mullins. ( went by Jeane) in Columbus Ohio at St. Ann's hospital. I was told by my mother that she was raped. I have found out that this does not appear to be the truth. I believe my fathers name is Harold Reid or Reed not sure of the spelling and his parents were Art and Pauline. I believe they lived in the Miller Ave area in Columbus Ohio in 1959. My aunt Eleanor and her husband Parker Johnson lived close by I think but don't have a address. I am being told that after my birth I was taken to visit my grandparents for at least a year ( I was walking when she stopped going). In 1965 my name was legally changed to Saundra Becker...I was told tho that I had been adopted by my mothers husband William Becker. I have tried to locate my father or his family through Ancestory but have had not luck. Does anyone have any other ideas...I do not have the money to hire anyone. I believe from story's I have been told that my grandparents had attempted to take me from my mother I just want to find out the truth. My mother passed in 2009 so no help there and all family members have told me all they can remember.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 01:47 PM

1,769 posts, read 3,871,045 times
Suandra,
Get a copy of your original birth certificate.
Very important.
Look at name of father on certificate, your mom saved it somewhere,
you really need his correct name.
WHy do you think everything your mom told you was a lie?
I don't understand that at all.
You state in your post that you were told that after your birth you were taken to
visit your grandparents for at least a year, who told you that? And then you state
that you were walking when SHE stopped going. Who is she?
Write down on a piece of paper all the FACTS you have with proof after you get
a copy of your original birth certificate.
Then take it from there.
I will work on Harold Reid or Reed.

Old 02-11-2014, 02:11 PM

1,769 posts, read 3,871,045 times
Suandra,
You need a middle inital for your bio father, too common a name.
See if you can find that from someone.

Old 02-12-2014, 04:10 AM

Thank you for your assistance with this. I have my original birth certificate, it has no fathers name on it at all. It also states that my mother was married and she was not along with having the hospital address as my mothers home address. Originally my mothers older sister had everything set up to put me up for adoption, which my aunts husband Parker johnson stopped. I also have the original paperwork showing my mother legally changed my name to Becker at the age of 5 after she had married William Becker, this includes the newspaper clipping that the posted announcing the intent to change it. Why do I feel my mother lied. First, I was told that William adopted me and then found out this was not true. They just changed my name. Second she told me she was raped when I started asking about my father, however since her death, my aunt Eleanor who my mother was living with at the time states that my mother was dating Harold and continued to see him after my birth. My mother was only 18 at the time of my birth. She lived across the street from Harold and his parents at the time that I was born and shortly after moved to live with her mother howeverI'm told by my Aunt that my mother spent a large amount of time at Harolds parents house after my birth until I was roughly 1 1/2, when she stopped going and made a comment that no one was taking me away from her. Shortly after this she meet Willaim. In addition there was a fight that I remember between one of my aunts and my mother. When I asked my aunt about it years later she stated that my mother got mad because my aunt had taken me to see my father. I do not have any other information about Harold or his family, no one can remember any additional information. I have tried to locate my Aunt Eleanor's ex husband Parker Johnson but have had no luck on that either.

Old 03-25-2014, 05:13 AM

I have additional information to help with this. Please note the only information I have on my bio father is that his name is suppose to be Harold Reid or Reed. His Father went by Art so not sure if that was short for Arthur, and his mother is suppose to be Pauline. My original birth certificate has father unknown my mother was 17 when I was born and has the address as 543 Wilson ave. Harold's family was suppose to live close by. My mother always said that she was raped and led me to believe that she didn't know the person. However after her death both aunts have revealed information that shows that not to be true. My mother lived with her older sister at the time of my birth and my aunt states that my mother continued to see my father after the birth. He however was not ready to be a father and started to pull away. Another aunt states that my mother was taking me to visit my grandparents until I was old enough to be walking and then suddenly stopped. At one time when I was younger my mother showed me a picture of me when I was only about 2 all dressed up in a furry coat and hand muff and stated that she had to prove that she could take care of me so they wouldn't take me away from her. I always assumed she meant children's services because of her story, but my aunts both state that children's services was never involved.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:21 AM

25 posts, read 37,187 times
Saundra - have you tried posting on the Facebook Page "People Seeking People"? It's free, and seems to generate a lot of interest, activity, and success. One warning though - when you post your story and picture on the page, it will also post to your own page so all of your FB friends will see it. That's good, if you want their help, but not so good if you want your story to be private.

Good luck to you. I'm currently searching for a half sister named Jean (Jeanne, Jeane?) but your story doesn't line up with the info I have.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:09 AM

Yes I have ..thanks for the info tho...and good luck to you to!

Old 03-25-2014, 02:38 PM

842 posts, read 1,980,972 times
Saundra, do you still live in Columbus, OH or near there? I'm assuming that was where your mom and you lived when you were little and where your father and his parents lived since you say you were born in Columbus Hospital. If so, go to the genealogy department of the Columbus library and ask to see the Columbus City Directories for 1959 on. Go through them and see if you can locate his parents (and perhaps ascertain the spelling of their last name). You can follow them through the years and see where they moved and other people who lived at their address, like family members. City directories also give you occupational information. They sometimes tell you when someone has died and then you can look up obituaries which give you a host of relatives you can attempt to contact. Ask the Library genealogy staff what resources they have to help you. Some libraries have obituary indexes.

Old 03-25-2014, 03:32 PM

I was born in Columbus Ohio but now live in florida, so I am not able to go and do research myself.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:54 AM

842 posts, read 1,980,972 times
Hello again. I called the Columbus Ohio library at 614-645-2275. After hitting the option 2 twice, I got to a person. I asked to speak with the Genealogy Department. She put me through and I got Scott. Very nice man. He looked in the City Directories and said that although he found some Art's, he did not find any with a wife named Pauline. He said he found some Harold's, but since they seemed older, he didn't think they would be the right ones. It is possible they just aren't listed, but is it possible that the names are wrong? You might want to call him directly if you think he could help you. He was very helpful and friendly with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search