U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 07:05 AM

5 posts, read 8,076 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to find any information on my bio father which I believe is deceased now, I was born in 1958 and justed learned about 1 1/2 years ago about him. My mother told other family members and friends but not me. I finally received a note in mail with name and a partial address, when I found out all I wanted to know about this person was health issues for my children. I tried to get information from relatives but they were not much help and while in the process my eldest daughter died of a brain aneurysm at 31 years of age, so sad, so now I need more than ever to find any information about him. The name I was given was James Black, address Jarvis Ave, Rogers Park area, Chicago, Il, she was working in the for the family in 1957, and he was a doctor. I have only found a house sale with the address of 2927 Jarvis Ave in Chicago, she has never been very good at telling the truth so I maybe just chasing the wrong person, but have to start somewhere. My daughter who is deceased was 6 months from getting her doctorate in Literature and looking forward to teaching college, we were told by the doctors that treated her that this type of illness is hereditary so I feel I have to find more information for my other daughter. I am not looking for anything but health issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 01:16 PM

5,234 posts, read 8,399,632 times
The 1940 Federal Census for 2927 Jarvis St in Chicago lists 3 residents:
Lovel Black, age 39, dentist
Louise Black, age 29, housewife
James Black, age 4, son (he would be about 23 in 1958)

The SS Death Index shows:
Lovel T Black, born 1901 died 1962 in Illinois
Louise E Black born 1910 died 1999 in Illinois
James Black born 1935 died 1997 in Illinois

Social Security Death Index SSDI Records Search - GenealogyBank

Both Lovel and Louise are listed in Find-A-Grave at Rosehill Cem in Chicago. Nothing on a James Black with the 1935 - 1997 dates.

Find A Grave - Millions of Cemetery Records and Online Memorials

There is an obit for Lovel in his hometown paper, the Janesville WI Gazette on-line at:
Janesville Daily Gazette 13 March 1962 Page 13 - Newspapers.com Look in the box labled "OCR text", scroll down a bit to see it. It confirms address of 2927 Jarvis.

I tried to find a City Directory for 1957-58 Chicago to see if your mother would have been listed as a maid or whatever, but no luck there.

Both Lovel and James died in their early 60s. Louise lived to 89.
What you may need to do is contact the State of Illinois and see if you can get Lovel & James death certificates. Try them at Illinois Vital Records - Death Records Justifying your need may be tricky, perhaps a letter from your daughter's doctor would help. Do you have your birth cert ?

Coincidentally, Lovel's obit gives his office address as 1791 Howard St (odd thing in an obit). It happens that in the mid-1960's I worked at 2101 Howard St, and would have passed by that building many times. At the time there was a nice restaurant on the first floor, now a bank, according to Google's StreetView.

Sorry for your loss, and Good Luck in your quest.....

Old 04-02-2014, 08:03 PM

64 posts, read 280,850 times
Default About Your Search

4/2/2014

Yes, getting the death certificates is an excellent place to begin, since it will contain many valuable clues to help you further your search, primarily the names of the family (spouse and/or children). Post again here after you have examined the death certificates so that we can assist you further. Or if you prefer to consult with a genealogist in the Chicago area to assist you, that would also be an option. If you find that the death certificates are not very helpful, I would like to suggest that you also pay a small fee to have a probate search done. If he had a last will and testament that was probated, the probate file will have a page that shows names and addresses of his surviving heirs/beneficiaries and you can order that page to find clues for more follow-up, at Cook County Clerk of the Circuit Court (click on the Records/Archives link and then select the Probate Division option for information on how to order a search.

Old 04-03-2014, 12:05 AM

2,848 posts, read 4,308,485 times
All good advice ! Here's some info on James' father, Lovel T. BLACK.

Lovel T. BLACK was a dentist. Found his name a few times on Google Books. I searched "Lovel Black" "Lovel T. Black" and "Black, Lovel T."

Lovel was born September 28, 1901, died March 11, 1962 according to an obit in The Illinois Dential Journal. He went to Northwestern University.

An obit in The Chicago Daily Tribune dated March 12, 1962 (found on Ancestry)
"Dr. Lovel T. Black, 60, of 2927 Jarvis av, a dentist who had offices at 1791 Howard st. for 30 years, died yesterday in his home. Dr. Black was graduated in 1929 from The NorthWestern University Dental School and was a member of the Chicago Dental Society, Evanston Elks Club, and past president of the Rogers Park Kiwanis Club. He leaves his widow, Louise; a son, James A; a daughter, Nancy A; and a sister. Services will be held at 1pm Wednesday in the chapel at 5303 N. Western ave."

An obit in the same paper dated March 13, 1962, adds this info:
interment Rosehill Cemetery
Drake & Son funeral home
sister's name Ruth MAGNUSON
late brother's name Donald M. BLACK

You can see a photo of Loval BLACK from a 1928 yearbook on Ancestry.

In 1910 Lovel is living with his parents & siblings in
Granville, Licking, Ohio

Horace M. BLACK, occupation: commerical traveler, oil & soap
wife: Harriet Black
daughter: Ruth Black
son: Lovel Black
son: Donald Black

Last edited by daliowa; 04-03-2014 at 12:05 AM.. Reason: edit

Old 04-03-2014, 08:38 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,117,657 times
Wow. You folks are great, as always.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:13 AM

Default Deceased bio father search

Thank you for all your information, will start with this, you all have been so helpful! I will let you know how I do. Thank you again.

Old 04-11-2014, 07:54 AM

I don't think I can get death certificates because my birth certificate has my step father's name on it. He is also deceased so can't do DNA test all I have is a note card she sent me with the name James Black. Any other ideas??? Thank you again for all your help.

Old 04-11-2014, 04:54 PM

2,848 posts, read 4,308,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAM1958 View Post
I don't think I can get death certificates because my birth certificate has my step father's name on it. He is also deceased so can't do DNA test all I have is a note card she sent me with the name James Black. Any other ideas??? Thank you again for all your help.
The rules for obtaining vital records varies state-by-state. You may have to explain the surname difference. If they ask than just explain that James is your bio father, and that you carry your step-father's surname.

A DNA test can connect you to other members of the family. For instance, say that James had another child, and that child has done that DNA test. Or, if James had a sibiing & that person or their child did (or will do in the future) that DNA test, than you'd be connected through that.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:20 PM

5,234 posts, read 8,399,632 times
Just came across a site where you can get a Cook County death certificate on-line if it is 20 or more years old. The account to search is free, then a cert is about $19 to get a downloadable copy. It's at Cook County Clerk's Office - Genealogy Online
Tried a search on Lovel Black and did get a hit.

Old 08-22-2014, 07:04 AM

Default Still looking for James A Black relatives

I am still looking for James A Black info, I did get death certificate for his father, Lovel Black. That paperwork stated he died of heart attack. Do you think I should start with ancestry or do you have you all have any other suggestions. I know he is deceased so I hope to find wife, child or any other relative that can help me with health history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or