Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2014, 12:27 PM

3 posts, read 4,304 times

Advertisements

name is Tamara and I live in Deerlijk, Belgium.
I adopted the grave of the soldier Angelo Mazzarella atFlanders Field American Cemetery and Memorial inWaregem to honor the memory of the sacrifices he made in WWI for our freedom.
His service number was 2965534 and he wasborn on 05/16/1890
He lived in Austen, Preston.
Now I'm looking for more info about my adopter.
Maybe you can help me in my quest to gather information about the live of my soldier and if there are family members alive.
You would do me a great favor with this.
Thanks for the effort.

Looking for information, pictures,... and maybe family from:
MAZZARELLA Angelo, buried at the American Cemetery at Waregem, Belgium.
Private, Co I, 362nd InfantryRegiment, 91st
KIA 1 November 1918

Plot C – Row 04 – Grave 21
Army Serial Number 2665534

Angelo Mazarella was an Italian immigrant. He was born in Rome on 16 May 1890. His two year older brother Paul(Paolo) also resided in the USA. Both lived in Austen, WV where they worked ascoal miners for the Austen Coal & Coke Company.

At 9:00 on October 31st,Co I was ordered to go over the top. They were immediately spotted by theGermans who were hiding in the Spitaalsbossen. Angelo was killed by a directhit. The witness statement indicates: “He was blown to pieces”. Hisremains were first buried in the village of Ooigem near a field hospital. Thisis probably the reason why the official date of death was incorrectly logged asbeing 1 November. In this case the date of death on his marker is also incorrect

At the time of death Angelo wasstill an Italian citizen

Thank you.

Last edited by Tamara A; 06-18-2014 at 12:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 12:03 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,008,367 times
The only Mazarella that I can find still living in West Virginia is a John Mazarella living in Williamson, which is quite some distance from North Central West Virginia. I do not believe that particular coal mine is still in operation, and perhaps those folks moved on to other mines when it closed. There were many Italians and Spaniards who settled in this part of West Virginia 100 years ago to work in the mines.

Old 06-19-2014, 04:18 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,832,146 times
West Virginia Memory Project - Veterans Database

Notified: Pietro Mazzarella, Agula per Accumoli, Italy (father); He is buried at Plot: C, Row: 4, Grave: 21

CO.I- 362nd Inf Reg, 91st Inf Div

dod: 1918/10/31

Old 03-06-2015, 12:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,365 times
Hi, Paul Mazzarella moved north to Garwood, Union, NJ. It was registered there during the ww2 draft in 1942, living at 338 North Avenue. He was married to Josephine and died in 1967.

Angelo and Paolo were both born in Accumoli (Agula per Accumoli should be read as Accumoli Province of Aquila), I have found Paolo manifest of arrival in the US (1905 visiting his uncle Giuseppe in Philadelphia)but nothing on Angelo.

I have also found that Armando Mazzarella (son of Michele) arrived in West Virginia in 1920 after to meet his brother Paolo, if it is the same Paolo then him and Angelo were cousins and not brothers.

Hope this helps to find some descendant, I am researching Italian soldiers fallen with the American Army, if you retrieve any information would be great to know!

Luca

Old 03-06-2015, 04:47 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,755,912 times
This is a link to Angelo's Find a Grave page:
Pvt Angelo Mazzarella (1890 - 1918) - Find A Grave Memorial

This is his WW1 draft registration card:

Last edited by jiminnm; 08-04-2018 at 02:23 PM..

Old 03-08-2015, 01:06 AM

Hi Luca,

Thank you for the information!
There is also a biography from Angelo available:
West Virginia Veterans Memorial - Angelo Mazzarella

We also have a group for all the adopters, I can ask if anyone adopted the grave of an Italien soldier and if they want to contact you.

Greetings,

Tamara

Old 03-08-2015, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara A View Post
Hi Luca,

Thank you for the information!
There is also a biography from Angelo available:
West Virginia Veterans Memorial - Angelo Mazzarella

We also have a group for all the adopters, I can ask if anyone adopted the grave of an Italien soldier and if they want to contact you.

Greetings,

Tamara

Luca,

You can contact Patrick Lernout ( patrick.lernout@telenet.be).
He researched extensively the lives of the 368 soldiers buried in Flanders Field.

Old 03-08-2015, 05:20 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,737,879 times
I've also done a lot of research on WW1 soldiers. There were several hundred men (probably more than 1,000) stationed at Camp Penniman in Virginia (near Williasmburg). I'm writing a book on Penniman and it should be out in a few months, but in the meantime, here are some images of the men stationed at Camp Penniman (a shell-loading plant).

These were men of the Enlisted Detachment Ordnance Corp, Penniman, Virginia.

I've included a roster (below), because I've always suspected it's a genealogist's dream come true.

Last edited by RosemaryT; 03-08-2015 at 06:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy