U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2015, 03:33 PM

1 posts, read 489 times

Advertisements

I am a 35 years old, I lost my father 34 years ago and have been searching for the past 4/5 years. I am getting married soon and want to do so after visiting his grave site. The only information my mother gave me was his mother's name, his date of birth, and the date of his death. Apparently some time after the funeral my grandmother (his mother) shipped his body, and had him buried in Puerto Rico. I have had the worst luck ever with my finances, and haven't had the money to locate him the "proper" way. His name is Alexis Rivera....DOB: 5/19/1959 .... D.O.D: 8/4/1979. He lived and died in Astoria Queens, NY. His mother's name is Iris Rivera, he had a younger brother Brian Rivera, who had some sort of handicap. If there is anyone who can extend a helping hand in trying to solve this case I would be more than appreciative.

Last edited by TheresaBrivera; 08-18-2015 at 03:36 PM.. Reason: Found out his brother's name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2015, 04:18 PM

1,611 posts, read 1,946,877 times
Ancestry shows one with that name but the DOB is May 16 1959 Death Aug 1979. I checked :find a grave: but nothing showing there.

Name: Alexis Rivera
SSN:
BORN: 16 May 1959
Died: Aug 1979
State (Year) SSN issued:New York (1973)

Maybe someone else will find more info on him for you.

Old 08-21-2015, 03:57 PM

2,847 posts, read 4,305,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheresaBrivera View Post
I am a 35 years old, I lost my father 34 years ago and have been searching for the past 4/5 years. I am getting married soon and want to do so after visiting his grave site. The only information my mother gave me was his mother's name, his date of birth, and the date of his death. Apparently some time after the funeral my grandmother (his mother) shipped his body, and had him buried in Puerto Rico. I have had the worst luck ever with my finances, and haven't had the money to locate him the "proper" way. His name is Alexis Rivera....DOB: 5/19/1959 .... D.O.D: 8/4/1979. He lived and died in Astoria Queens, NY. His mother's name is Iris Rivera, he had a younger brother Brian Rivera, who had some sort of handicap. If there is anyone who can extend a helping hand in trying to solve this case I would be more than appreciative.

His death cert would be filed in NYC.
Birth and Death Certificate Information

The NYC death cert may have the name of a cemetery in PR or it may just say "Puerto Rico" but Puerto Rico may hold a burial permit in their records.

Where to Write for Vital Records - Puerto Rico
There's an address at the above URL to write for death records, but perhaps you could contact them & explain your situation & ask if they have burial permits, or something similar, that would have the name of the cemetery.

Do you know in what town they lived in PR?

Old 08-21-2015, 05:04 PM

1,514 posts, read 999,471 times
If there is a mormon genealogical library in your city, stop by and ask them for tips. Mormons are into genealogy in a big way and have the most extensive genealogical records on the planet. Their libraries are free (or perhaps they charge a token fee) and open to everyone.

Old 08-21-2015, 05:34 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,843,680 times
daliowa has given you good advice.

For Alexis to be shipped back to the homeland, there had to be coordination on both ends and likely a funeral home on both ends. The one on the PR end might give you clues where he is buried.

You mention that your father had a younger brother. And that you think his mother left for Puerto Rico when Alexis was taken there. Would she leave her younger son behind and who would take him in?
If not then Brian left with her and if they never returned to the USA then 1979 is your last known date and location.
There are a ton of Rivera in New York City so you need some other detail, maybe from the death certificate and/or funeral home(s).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or