U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 12:42 PM

3 posts, read 20,686 times

Advertisements

Hello,

For years I have known that my biological father was deceased. I know very little of him, other than his name and such. I have tried for years to find anyone who might have known him or is related to him.

Although, my mother (Margie) had re-married and I was adopted by a loving man, who has been the greatest, I still have interests of learning about my paternal genes. Which now seems even more important to me, since just days ago my mother, at the young age of 54, passed away.

She once told me that she had only one picture of him, where he was standing next to a 'pink' harley davidson. I have found what could be that picture, but it is not signed. It's a polaroid, dated Dec. 1968. He is wearing black pants, a black leather jacket, smoking a cigarette, with dark hair.

My mother told me that his name is Donald Ray Step (Stepp) not sure
She remembered he had a brother named Danny (Daniel). Donald once worked in Cleveland, on Bragg Street by East 55th, in a car garage, "Bican Spring & Auto" may have been its name then, or maybe "Ray's". She also remembered that they had some friends, the "Quizenberry's" who may have lived on the west side, near Lakewood. (she thought perhaps James)

Donald, had an ex-wife who's name I think is Cecil. It is said that she had two sons with Don before their divorce. He then was with another woman, who I don't know if they married or not, and I believe her name is Mary and she may have also been pregnant by Donald at the time as well.

My mother was only 16 when she gave birth to me in 1970. She had been sent away for a year, and while she was gone, Donald became addicted to drugs, and in the end was shot, and killed by the Cleveland Police Department.

Now, as I said, this is all what I was told. I don't know Donald's parents names, when he was born, or when he died. I once checked old newspaper notices on microfilm back in the early 90's, but I only went as far as 1972. Which of course, showed up nothing. In any case, I have tried many different forms of tracking down any one, so I thought I would try this as well.

I realize I don't have much information, but I figure there is enough to where someone should know something. This would have been late 60's, early 70's. Somewhere around the east side of cleveland, East 55th, Broadway Avenue area. As I said, the garage was and still is on Bragg st., and I believe its called "Bob's Auto Garage". (Cleveland, Ohio)

If anyone knows anything at all about the people I mentioned, I would love to hear from you, even if you think it may not be important. I added the attachment of the picture, I hope it helps.

Thank You, Take Care & God Bless,
Khaylayne (Khaylayne@aol.com) use subject line "information on Don"
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for any information about my deceased fathers family, please help!-possible-don-1968.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 02:09 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,237,018 times
DONALD STEPP 28 Apr 1949Apr 1978(not specified)44102 (Cleveland, Cuyahoga, OH)279-48-8498

I found this in the Social Security Death Index.

Old 03-05-2008, 02:14 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,237,018 times
DANIEL A STEPP Born May 1956
4710 COTTONWOOD LN
BRUNSWICK, OH

(330) 225-6386

Perhaps the brother?

Old 03-05-2008, 03:00 PM

3,413 posts, read 5,917,174 times
Wow! Great info travelingal!

Old 03-05-2008, 10:49 PM

20 posts, read 69,764 times
Hi KMB1970:

If you are comfortable with this, contact the Cleveland Police Department. Most Law Enforcement jurisdictions keep long term records of all Officer related shootings/deaths. Try contacting a Community Service Officer, or maybe inquire if there is some one you can speak to that could give you information regarding an Officer related shooting death and an approximate date. Many jurisdictions purge records after so many years, but there must have been an internal investigation that occurred in which records are still available. Best of luck to you.

Dispatch

Old 04-03-2008, 11:03 AM

Hi, I want to thank those of you who have offered assistance in my search. I tried calling Daniel Stepp, and we spoke for a while. At first, I thought we were on the same page, he said it was his brother, but he was not killed by the police, he may have committed suicide. Then later, he said that his brother was not named Donald, it was Ronald. Both of his parents are dead, his brother, and his two sisters. He didn't want to give me much information. I don't know if he is lying about Donald or Ronald or not. But, I never heard of Donald having any sisters. Of course, they may have been born after my mother knew him. What I do think is that "Travelinggal2" has brought up the right person, as far as my father is concerned. I also found out that the picture of the man on the bike is not Donald, it is someone named Wayne Hager, and according to a harley expert, it is not one. I am not sure where to look from here. Is there any advice, that anyone could offer me and how to locate any of these people? I suppose most of them are dead, re-married, moved or just don't have any information from so long ago. But, the garage where Donald worked, belonged to my grandparents. Ray & Marge Bican, and this place was hopping back in the day. I just find it hard to believe that no one knows anything. I have done internet searches, checked out books on locating anyone, anywhere, and of course, nothing. The most information I received has been from this forum. Is there anyway to get a birth or death certificate without having his parents name? Or, find out where he is buried. What I really would like is to know what he looked like, what his children, (my half siblings) are like. Other names in that time era could include, Karm, Munoz, McGuire, Honneker, tippen or Tippie, those are last names, not sure if they are all spelled correctly. I realize that I was a baby made in sin, and his ex's probably wouldn't want to know me or their children, but this was years ago, and I just want to know more people from where I am from or related to. With my mother now passed on, it is impossible for me to get any information from anyone left in my family. Most are dead, my mothers sister is 9 years younger than she was, so she really has no memory of any of this. The man I spoke to on the phone, Daniel, who may or may not be my fathers brother, but denied it, did ask what is was I wanted, as if he were a millionaire or something. My understanding was that none of these people had a penny to their name. Money isn't something I need or want, I am just desperate to meet the side of the family that I have never known. One more piece of information that may be of use is that I legally changed my name in 1990. I was born, Sheila Rae Bican.
Again, if you want to contact me personally, email me at Khaylayne@aol.com and use the subject line "Information on Don". Thank you all very much. Take Care & God Bless
Khaylayne

Old 04-03-2008, 05:35 PM

1,049 posts, read 1,504,010 times
Wow! That so-called brother seems like one cold character. Have you tried looking up the person named Wayne Hager? To you, 1970 might seem like a long time ago and a lot of people might well have moved away, but I'm sure if you went back there and asked around, there have got to be people who knew him. I wish you the best in your search.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:36 PM

Hi ecam222,
I am in the process of trying to locate Wayne Hager, a couple are listed, so I figure I'll make a few calls. Some people really don't like being caught off guard. Sometimes, I actually feel as though I am prying, where I shouldn't be. I really don't want to cause any one any trouble or grief. Perhaps, it just isn't meant to be. Thank you for your post.
Take Care, & God Bless, Khaylayne

Old 04-08-2008, 04:58 AM

1,049 posts, read 1,504,010 times
Hi Khaylayne ~ If it's a case where you fear for your safety, then let it rest. Otherwise, I believe you are entitled to know who your blood relatives were or are. Hopefully, people will be forthcoming with you and you get the answers you truly deserve.

Old 02-21-2010, 05:27 PM

10 posts, read 18,427 times
Dear searcher,
Never give up on genealogy. Facts don't lie --- people do. I grew up in Cleveland, OH in the 1970's (I was in my late teens) I later in my early 20's feel for a guy on a harley also.
MY words of advice are take it slow. Here is why. Many alcoholics and hard core folks were in that area. Both my parents were alcololics. I wanted more than anything for my daughter to know her father (because I really didn't know mine) who left when I was 6 months pregnant. (With another woman) He did come back into our lives, got me to write off owed back child support, remarried me by charming me. Then he molested our daughter. I left never to look back. But ALTHOUGH HE is dead that pain is still there. (I'm sharing so you know...beware!) that people can take advantage of some of us. I am into genealogy. If I find anything I will keep you posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search