U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 03:48 PM

5,466 posts, read 2,355,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Skin View Post
Thanks. The Galvin family listed in the 1930 census is the correct family. That has been confirmed. Also, I have obtained a copy of her birth certificate by supplying Waterbury with id and copy of my birth certificate. Information on her BC tells me 100% that is the correct family. Newly found cousins were able to supply me with two photos one of which had Millie and Leon written on the back. Problem is, all of Millie's siblings are deceased except for one and she is 93 and has not seen or heard from her sister in 40 or fifty years. My job now is to find Mildred either living or laid to rest, preferably the former.
Which cousins did you speak with ...I see 4 or 5 phone numbers for that FL address. Edwin was one?

Update: I see from other posts here you know your father...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2017, 04:53 PM

196 posts, read 109,779 times
What I said was that Mildred(The one in Florida) was a Galvin by marriage. None of the names that go along with that Florida listing are related to my Mother who was born Mildred May Galvin in Waterbury, CT in 1928 and shows up in the 1930 census as a two year old at 67 Eastwood ave.

Old 10-28-2017, 04:57 PM

I grew up with my Father and a step-mom. My Dad made it his life's mission to never tell me anything about my Mom. Everything that I have learned to this point stated with info from my birth cert.

Old 10-28-2017, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
If Mr. Bill's lead doesn't pan out, I have found what appears to be your mother in the 1930 census. If this is the correct family, knowing their names, as well as those of your grandparents may be helpful in the search.

Mildred Galvin

Birth Year: abt 1928
Race: White
Birthplace: Connecticut
Marital Status: Single
Relation to Head of House: Daughter
Home in 1930: Waterbury, New Haven, Connecticut, USA

:
Name Age
William Galvin 34 (this may be your grandfather)
Jennie Galvin 34 (this may be your grandmother)
Edward Galvin 12 (may be your uncle)
Donald Galvin 9 (may be your uncle)
Marie Galvin 6 (may be your aunt)
Catherine Galvin 3 (may be your aunt)
Mildred Galvin 2 (may be your mother) Census confirms she was born in CT.

Do any of these names ring a bell with you?
Yes, this is the family. I have done research on all the siblings and have been in contact with Catherine's children, Marie's children and one of Edwards daughters. Six cousins in total. No one knows where she is.

Old 10-28-2017, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Also, are you positive about the middle name? Does the middle name come from your birth certificate or another source?

I ask because the city directories for Waterbury, CT between 1946 and 1955 only show a Mildred K. Galvin but not a Mildred M. Galvin living in Waterbury.

The Mildred Galvin in the directories is single during this time period. Last record for her in the directory is 1955. That may mean she moved or even was married about that time.

It's possible, of course, that there was another Mildred Galvin living in Waterbury at the time you were born.

This may seem like a round about way to go about things but confirming what you do know about where she was in 1947 is an important first step.
The middle name is on my Birth Cert. Only Waterbury Directory that I have found with her listed is the 1948 edition on page 292 listed under my dad's name which was BEAUSOLEIL, Joseph L. followed by (Mildred M) which is how they listed the spouse's name.

I have learned to omit from consideration any with a middle initial other than M or one's whose birth date is not 04/14/1928. Up until this week, when I received a copy of her birth cert. I only knew the year 1928.

I have learned thru research that she may have traveled to Cuba (prior to Castro ) and upon reentering the States Had to fill out a required form which had a matching birth date and a place of Residence as Windham, New York. I am guessing that she was renting, as her name does not show up anywhere that I can find.

Old 10-28-2017, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joee5 View Post
Why'd you wait so long to try and find her?
At her advanced age, 89 per you, do you think she can handle the stress /sorrow/sadness of meeting you?
Good luck though
Actually, I have been searching off and on for over 35 years. The fact that my Dad refused to tell me anything about her caused me to look even harder. I have learned a lot about her siblings and their children. I have been in contact with several of my newly discovered cousins, but none of them have any idea where she might be. I was supplied with two very old photos of Mildred by one set of cousins from their moms old photo albums. One of the photos is of her holding me as an infant and on the back was written "Millie and Leon". I treasure these photos. If I do find her, It will be up to her if she wants to talk or meet. I will not pressure her. I just need some closure, i.e. Knowing where she is.

Old 10-28-2017, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
I found the obituary of her sister Catherine

MERIDEN - Catherine (Galvin)(Quinn) Beaudoin, widow of Clifford Beaudoin, died on Tuesday, June 9, 2009, at the Meriden Center after a brief illness.

She was born in Waterbury on Sept. 11, 1926, daughter of William and Jennie Galvin. She graduated from Crosby High School and was retired from the Newington Veterans' Hospital.

She is survived by her daughters, Eileen Quinn Young, of Fletcher, N.C., and Noreen Quinn, of Waterbury; a son, Robert Quinn, of Middlebury; she also is survived by six grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren; a sister, Jane Marie Bell, lives in Waterbury

Contacting relatives of your mother may help.
Thanks. I have been in contact with all of Catherine's children. Could not tell me anything about Mildred, but were nice enough to go thru their late Mom's old photo albums and supply me with two photos of Mildred. In one photo taken in 1948 Mildred was holding me as an infant and on the back it reads "Millie and Leon". What a Treasure!

Old 10-28-2017, 06:03 PM

7,356 posts, read 4,462,137 times
I'm sorry you haven't found the answers you're looking for just yet, but it sounds like you have at least gotten some answers about your Mom's earlier life, if only to see photos of her.

You don't have to explain anything to anyone. Things happen at the time they happen, and there's no reason for regrets.

An important piece of information I gleaned from your posts is that on the photos your cousins shared , your mother's name was "Millie." I'm assuming you've already searched using Millie as a first name with the two different last names (Galvin and yours)?

Old 10-28-2017, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
And here is a brother

Edward Francis Galvin, of Vernon, died unexpectedly Thursday, (November 15, 2001) at his home. Born February 27, 1919 in Waterbury, he was a resident of Vernon for the past 20 years. He was predeceased by Jacqueline Galvin, his wife of 51 years. Prior to his retirement, he was employed as an electrician by Local Union IBEW #35. Edward was a highly decorated World War II veteran of the 25th Infantry Regiment. He was stationed at Pearl Harbor when it was attacked on Dec. 7, 1941 and, during the next four years, he served his country with honor and pride. He was awarded the Bronze Star and the Purple Heart for acts of valor during the Guadalcanal and Philippine Campaigns. Following his tour of active duty, he owned and operated many small restaurants, where he was known for his home-made pizza. He is survived by his three daughters, Roberta Treichel and her husband, David of Wethersfield, Renee Galvin of Minneapolis, MN, and Roxann Robinson and her husband, Gary of East Hartford. He also leaves to mourn his passing many grandchildren; great grandchildren; friends, neighbors, relatives, and old army buddies who will miss his many stories and jokes. Eddie will be remembered as a man of quiet, unassuming dignity, who always had a smile on his face; and that's just the way he would have wanted it.
Thanks, I got all that and have been in touch with one of his daughters, Roxann. No idea where Mildred is, she never knew her.

Old 10-28-2017, 06:13 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,868,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Skin View Post
Just some additional info. Family was split up in the early 1930's as parents divorced and all children were placed in homes. Mildred definitely was around Waterbury in 1947 and 1948. After that I can't say and no one seems to know.
I see two names associated with each other as late as 1968-1969.
Mildred M. Galvin was the executor of the estate of Mildred M. Connelly who died December 20, 1968.

Other associated names are names: Ginsberg and Falcigno.

Why was Mildred M. Galvin (in New Haven Ct.) the executor of the estate?

Is it even possible Mildred M. Galvin married Connelly. His mother's name was Mildred M. Connelly. Mr. Connelly dies leaving behind his wife (Mildred M. Galvin Connelly) and his mother Mildred M. Connelly. When the latter passes away in 1968 Mildred M. Galvin (using maiden name) signs the death documents.

Attached Thumbnails
Searching for Birth Mother Mildred "Millie" May Galvin born 1928 in Waterbury CT-untitledc.jpg  

Last edited by howard555; 10-28-2017 at 07:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or