U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 06:21 PM

196 posts, read 109,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
I'm sorry you haven't found the answers you're looking for just yet, but it sounds like you have at least gotten some answers about your Mom's earlier life, if only to see photos of her.

You don't have to explain anything to anyone. Things happen at the time they happen, and there's no reason for regrets.

An important piece of information I gleaned from your posts is that on the photos your cousins shared , your mother's name was "Millie." I'm assuming you've already searched using Millie as a first name with the two different last names (Galvin and yours)?

I'm guessing "Millie" short for Mildred. As far as searching goes I will try the various name combinations again as I have searched so much my head is spinning. Thanks for the suggestion. Both her birth cert. and mine list her as Mildred Galvin. My birth cert says "Mildred May Galvin" I am guessing she picked up the "May" at her Christening. I have added additional info in separate posts above, until I figure this forum out. Thank You for your help and support.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2017, 11:06 PM

7,352 posts, read 4,450,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Skin View Post
I have learned thru research that she may have traveled to Cuba (prior to Castro ) and upon reentering the States Had to fill out a required form which had a matching birth date and a place of Residence as Windham, New York.
While this doesn't necessarily bring us closer to finding what happened to your mother afterwards, I looked at the travel document you mentioned above and compared the date on it to what was happening in Cuba in that time period.

The date on the arrival document is November 9 1959.

Here is the timeline for what happened in Cuba that year:

Jan 1 1959: Batista flees to Dominican Republic as the rebels (i.e., Castro's forces) take power.

Jan 8 1959: Castro enters Havana following triumphant procession through island from east of Cuba.

Feb 9 1959: Fidel Castro sworn in as prime minister of Cuba.

So, by the time your mother came home in November, Castro had already taken power in Cuba.

By the way, the situation in Cuba was pretty unstable as early as 1958.

I thought you might like to know this. Perhaps there is a clue there in some way. But, in the very least, we know that your Mom was definitely in Cuba right after Castro took over.

That suggests to me that she may have been living there for a while, because most people don't hop on a plane to vacation in a country that has just undergone a revolution.

Last edited by RosieSD; 10-28-2017 at 11:26 PM..

Old 10-28-2017, 11:38 PM

So, this may or may not be a clue worth pursuing, but I looked through the other records for the same flight that your mother came in on from Cuba.

I notice that there were two other passengers who listed their U.S. address as Windham NY.

There names were:

Nanette Hecker, birthdate January 19, 1943 or 1945 (last number is hard to read on the document)

Esperanza J. Hecker, birthdate December 17, 1913

Three people traveling randomly from Cuba to the same small upstate NY town seems like too much of a coincidence. More likely, they were traveling together.

A few more notes:

I note that your mother spelled Windham wrong on her entry card, as did Nanette.

Nanette and Esperanza traveled together to Puerto Rico in 1951. Their address on their travel record was given as Clauselle S. Casa 90 Ponce PR

All of this might lead no where, but Howard555 has taught me that seemingly insignificant data points can later become important in a search, so I am recording them here for you and others.

Last edited by RosieSD; 10-29-2017 at 12:33 AM..

Old 10-29-2017, 12:02 AM

This may be contact information for Nanette Hecker:

Name: Nannette Hecker
Birth Date: 19 Jan 1945
Phone Number: 762-1849
Address: 37 Drake Dr, Bayville, NJ, 08721-1507 (1992)
[SD, Cranford, NJ, 07016]
[50 Welland Ave, Irvington, NJ, 07111-3128 (1987)]

Note: the most recent address above was from 1992. You may have to search a bit more to find her most current address should you decide to do so. Also, at some point, she was married to a John Walker, so try using that last name as well.

By the way, Esperanza sometimes used the name "Essie" on her travel documents. She and Nanette traveled together from NY to PR frequently in the 1950s. They are either mother and daughter or possibly grandmother and daughter. They always recorded the same address in PR as their destination, so likely visiting family members.

But, in any case, on at least one flight, right after the Cuban revolution, your mother was likely traveling with them.

Last edited by RosieSD; 10-29-2017 at 12:34 AM..

Old 10-29-2017, 12:42 AM

A little bit more information about Nanette, from a different site:

Name Nanette Hecker
Also Known As Nannette Hecker Hecker
2nd Also Known As Name Nannette Hecker Walker
Residence Date 29 Oct 2007
Residence Place West Creek, New Jersey, United States
Birth Date 19 Jan 1945
Address West Creek, New Jersey 08092
Address Date 29 Oct 2007
2nd Address Barnegat, New Jersey 08005
2nd Address Date 07 May 1998-29 Oct 2007
3rd Address Irvington, New Jersey 07111
3rd Address Date 01 Oct 1987
Possible Relatives John J Walker, John T Walker, John Hecker, Rosemary E Walker

Last edited by RosieSD; 10-29-2017 at 12:53 AM..

Old 10-29-2017, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
A little bit more information about Nanette, from a different site:

Name Nanette Hecker
Also Known As Nannette Hecker Hecker
2nd Also Known As Name Nannette Hecker Walker
Residence Date 29 Oct 2007
Residence Place West Creek, New Jersey, United States
Birth Date 19 Jan 1945
Address West Creek, New Jersey 08092
Address Date 29 Oct 2007
2nd Address Barnegat, New Jersey 08005
2nd Address Date 07 May 1998-29 Oct 2007
3rd Address Irvington, New Jersey 07111
3rd Address Date 01 Oct 1987
Possible Relatives John J Walker, John T Walker, John Hecker, Rosemary E Walker

Thank You. I do have copies of the travel documents of two women traveling with Mildred That was to be my next avenue of research. Thanks for the legwork. Do you think I should create a post in this forum containing all facts that I know to be true, or do you think I have posted enough to give people something to work with. I cannot tell you how many hours, Days, Weeks, Months and Years of research it has taken to get to this point. I always think of it as "Close, But no cigar". I must say that 2017 has been the best and most productive search year. I always felt that I was researching the right Galvin family from Waterbury and was proved correct when my newly found cousins (daughter's of Catherine) found their Moms old photos with a picture of Mildred holding me as an infant (1948) and another of Mildred at age 16 in 1944. What Treasures!! This week I received actual proof when Waterbury sent me a copy of Mildred's Birth Certificate. Waterbury was unable at an earlier time to find a Marriage Certificate. Although one of my Dad's sisters had recorded the date they were married as Feb. 4, 1947 with no indication of where the wedding took place. My Aunt did tell me that they were not married for long.

Old 10-29-2017, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Thank You. I do have copies of the travel documents of two women traveling with Mildred That was to be my next avenue of research. Thanks for the legwork. Do you think I should create a post in this forum containing all facts that I know to be true, or do you think I have posted enough to give people something to work with. I cannot tell you how many hours, Days, Weeks, Months and Years of research it has taken to get to this point. I always think of it as "Close, But no cigar". I must say that 2017 has been the best and most productive search year. I always felt that I was researching the right Galvin family from Waterbury and was proved correct when my newly found cousins (daughter's of Catherine) found their Moms old photos with a picture of Mildred holding me as an infant (1948) and another of Mildred at age 16 in 1944. What Treasures!! This week I received actual proof when Waterbury sent me a copy of Mildred's Birth Certificate. Waterbury was unable at an earlier time to find a Marriage Certificate. Although one of my Dad's sisters had recorded the date they were married as Feb. 4, 1947 with no indication of where the wedding took place. My Aunt did tell me that they were not married for long.
The more information you already know that you give us, the better we can direct our time and energies.

Don't start a new thread, however. Just post it in this thread so everything can stay together.

Last edited by RosieSD; 10-29-2017 at 12:02 PM..

Old 10-29-2017, 03:05 PM

Default Part One

Birth Mother Search Facts and Rumors

1. Mildred May Galvin born in Waterbury, CT on 14 April 1928
is my Birth Mother. Sources: My birth certificate and copy of her
birth certificate. (Fact)
2. William J. Galvin was her father. Jennie E. Ney was her mother.
Sources: Mildred’s birth Cert. And the 1930 census in Waterbury
at 67 Eastwood Ave. (Fact)
3. Mildred’s siblings were: Edward F. Galvin (1919), Donald C.
Galvin (1921), Marie (actually) Jane Marie Galvin (1924), and
Catherine Galvin (1927). (Fact)
4. The Family was no longer at 67 Eastwood Ave. a few years after
the 1930 census according to city directories in the early 1930’s.
One Directory lists that home as vacant. I could not locate them in
the 1940 Census. (Fact)
5. Story is that the parents divorced and the children were all
placed in homes. The oldest boy, Edward ran away and joined the
Army and would never again see his Mom or his sisters . He
did stay in touch with his brother Donald and his Father William.
( side note: all three were electricians at one time or another.) It is
my belief that sisters Catherine and Jane Marie stayed in touch and
visited with their children in tow. My cousins (Jane Marie’s)
children remember going over to Catherine’s and spending time
with their cousins. Unfortunately none of them remember seeing
Mildred. To be continued….

Old 10-29-2017, 03:29 PM

10,835 posts, read 14,853,426 times
Quote:
Birth Mother Search Facts and Rumors

1. Mildred May Galvin born in Waterbury, CT on 14 April 1928
is my Birth Mother. Sources: My birth certificate and copy of her
birth certificate. (Fact)
2. William J. Galvin was her father. Jennie E. Ney was her mother.
Sources: Mildred’s birth Cert. And the 1930 census in Waterbury
at 67 Eastwood Ave. (Fact)
3. Mildred’s siblings were: Edward F. Galvin (1919), Donald C.
Galvin (1921), Marie (actually) Jane Marie Galvin (1924), and
Catherine Galvin (1927). (Fact)
4. The Family was no longer at 67 Eastwood Ave. a few years after
the 1930 census according to city directories in the early 1930’s.
One Directory lists that home as vacant. I could not locate them in
the 1940 Census. (Fact)
5. Story is that the parents divorced and the children were all
placed in homes. The oldest boy, Edward ran away and joined the
Army and would never again see his Mom or his sisters . He
did stay in touch with his brother Donald and his Father William.
( side note: all three were electricians at one time or another.) It is
my belief that sisters Catherine and Jane Marie stayed in touch and
visited with their children in tow. My cousins (Jane Marie’s)
children remember going over to Catherine’s and spending time
with their cousins. Unfortunately none of them remember seeing
Mildred. To be continued….
What is the last year in time when anyone knew where she was?
Any marriage records for Mildred after say 1960?

Last edited by howard555; 10-29-2017 at 03:50 PM..

Old 10-29-2017, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
What is the last year in time when anyone knew where she was?
Any marriage records for Mildred after say 1960?
The last year that I am aware of is 1948 when I was born. I was living with one of my Aunts on my Dad's side beginning in 1950 when my Dad reentered the Navy for the Korean Conflict. That tells me she was out of our lives sometime before that. Without getting into to many personal details, I have heard she may have moved to New York State . Waterbury could not find a marriage License.

As far as marriage records for Mildred for any time period, I have not found any. Possible marriage date for my Dad (Joseph L. Beausoleil) and Mildred as relayed to me by relatives as Feb. 4, 1947. No idea where or if this actually occurred.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or