Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2018, 01:17 PM

859 posts, read 700,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Skin View Post
Originally Nannette had told me that Mildred remained her Nanny for 8 to 9 months following the return from Cuba. In a later conversation she said 3 or 4 months. Either scenario lands up being at some point in 1960. Nannette said that Mildred returned to Manhattan. I never noticed the Hope Towers thing, I will look into it. Thanks.

- Since you only have this women who lived and knew closely your mom at that time. I suggest you to take DETAILS as much as you can from this woman. Meanwhile, it would be a sort of tiring according to her to ask gradually or to call multiple times in close periods of time and for the same topic also. So I suggest you to do what kobber wrote in his/her post.

- Think of the questions/details that you've never asked before and write them in order not to miss anything later; include the questions I wondered about in my previous post, which related with the "car accident."

- Add this question, when your mom left their home, was there any kind of contact between them & your mother or between your mother and Nannette even if it were only once and even by writing?

- Ask about your mother's personality in details, according to Nannette's view, especially that she worked for them as a nanny and traveled with them, too.

- Take her opinion (what does she think) of this topic with different wondering discussed by other posters.

- When you finish, send them by E-mail and tell her to feel free to answer them in any time fit her, in order not to feel pressure with answering too many questions, especially that you are waiting to hear back from N.Y. departments.

Ultimately, I'd like to add something might be done before and I skipped or misunderstood it. I'll write it anyway.

- Go to this place" Justice of the people in Brewster", and look if you can find a divorce records for your parents.

- Another thing, I remember that you wrote in the previous pages that your mom worked as a clerk at an office (if I'm no mistaken) I don't recall the page No. I want to say, check on the place/state and which Year, it may help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2018, 11:14 AM

14,410 posts, read 20,486,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Home in 1930: Waterbury, New Haven, Connecticut, USA
Name Age
William Galvin 34 (this may be your grandfather)
Jennie Galvin 34 (this may be your grandmother)
Edward Galvin 12 (may be your uncle)
Donald Galvin 9 (may be your uncle)
Marie Galvin 6 (may be your aunt)
Catherine Galvin 3 (may be your aunt)
Mildred Galvin 2 (may be your mother) Census confirms she was born in CT.
In addition to mother and daughter Mildred, no one has found the other two daughters. All three daughters are mentioned in their father's obituary but no names or locations.

I glanced at the 1940 census and fail to find 2+ members of the family.

I'd have to go back through the thread but it seems the kids, as children, headed in various directions. Those who wrote William's obituary or those named in his obituary may have had zero knowledge of the three girls going back well into their childhood. When the obituary was written no one knew anything about the three daughters or if they did, then for some reason they omitted their names and locations.

We can hope to find Mildred's sisters.
------------------------------
A family of 7 and none of the 4 females have yet to be found.

Last edited by howard555; 12-27-2018 at 12:02 PM..

Old 12-27-2018, 04:51 PM

197 posts, read 194,835 times
With regards to Mildred's sisters, we do know where they are. Catherine (Galvin)(Quinn)Beaudoin is deceased and we have the Obit. The other Sister Jane Marie is living but in a nursing facility. This sister is 94 and has not seen or heard from Mildred in well over 50 years according to her. I did speak with her 08/08/2017 but she knew nothing as to Mildred's whereabouts. I have been in contact with almost all of Mildred's nieces and nephews and no one knows of her whereabouts and in some cases were surprised to learn that their fathers (Donald and Edward) even had sisters. Catherine's daughters on the other hand knew and occasionally spent time with Jane Marie's daughters. It is my belief that Mildred spent some time with Catherine between the ages of 16 and 20 due to the photos that were sent to me by Catherine's daughters from their Mom's old photo albums.

Last edited by Mr Skin; 12-27-2018 at 05:44 PM.. Reason: add dates

Old 12-27-2018, 05:57 PM

Default More than One Nannette's Villa ad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
In the 1957 newspaper ads for Nanette's Villa, Mrs Hope Towers was listed as prop. I wonder if she is possibly living?
Mildred was Nanette's nanny/companion but I am unclear how long she was employed by Mrs Hecker as such.

I pulled out the copy of an ad for Nannette's villa that I have and nowhere in the ad does it mention a Mrs. Hope Towers as a proprietor, which suggests to me that there may be multiple ads that I have not seen as of yet. Historyfan, if you have access to that ad where you saw Mrs towers name can you scan and post?

Old 12-27-2018, 06:17 PM

Default Employment and more....

I do not know when Mildred's employment with Esperanza started, but discussions with Nannette indicated that it ended at some point in 1960. Background is that Esperanza and Nannette did not get along. Esperanza sent Nannette away to Windham, New York to go to the local High School and sent Mildred to be her Nanny/Companion. They stayed at Nannette's Villa during that time. Post Cuba Trip problem arouse when Esperanza decided she was going to return to Puerto Rico without Nannette (a minor). The State of NY child services stepped in and said that Nannette would have to go into the system and that Mildred (a non-blood relative) could not be responsible for her. And at that point there was no reason for Mildred to stay in Windham and Mildred returned to Manhattan. (According to Nannette).

Old 12-28-2018, 12:24 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,482,020 times
Quote:
I pulled out the copy of an ad for Nannette's villa that I have and nowhere in the ad does it mention a Mrs. Hope Towers as a proprietor, which suggests to me that there may be multiple ads that I have not seen as of yet. Historyfan, if you have access to that ad where you saw Mrs towers name can you scan and post?
Newspapers.com is proprietary, but here is text:

NANETTES VILLA WINDHAM 3, N. Y. and its staff awaits your pleasure. 90 Acres of lovely trails-All modern facilities All sports International cuisine. Write for brochure or call Windham 211

MRS. HOPE TOWERS, Prop.

Clipped from

Daily News, 14 Jul 1957, Sun, Main Edition, Page 174

This same ad ran throughout the summer of 1957 on a page of summer resorts advertisements.

Old 12-28-2018, 04:54 PM

Quote:
And at that point there was no reason for Mildred to stay in Windham and Mildred returned to Manhattan. (According to Nannette).
Didn't Nannette's father live in Manhattan (father's occupation back in those years?)
Cuba + New York + organized crime were interlinked.

Quote:
Proprietor means owner so real estate records might be a new path. Who knows Mrs. Towers could have had teenage kids at the time (who would be similar age as Nannette) and remember her and her nanny.

Old 12-28-2018, 05:47 PM

26,645 posts, read 28,492,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
Didn't Nannette's father live in Manhattan (father's occupation back in those years?)
Cuba + New York + organized crime were interlinked.

Proprietor means owner so real estate records might be a new path. Who knows Mrs. Towers could have had teenage kids at the time (who would be similar age as Nannette) and remember her and her nanny.
This is interesting. Yes, the mob. Some of us talked about that possibility before. Another question...if Mrs. Towers was the owner, what was the function of Esperanza? And why would Mrs. Towers name her resort after Esperanza's teen aged daughter? (I don't have a clue! It just seems odd somehow.)

I hope Mr Skin does get a chance to follow up on Mrs. Towers.

Old 01-02-2019, 07:27 PM

Quote:
With regards to Mildred's sisters, we do know where they are. Catherine (Galvin)(Quinn)Beaudoin is deceased and we have the Obit. The other Sister Jane Marie is living but in a nursing facility. This sister is 94 and has not seen or heard from Mildred in well over 50 years according to her. I did speak with her 08/08/2017 but she knew nothing as to Mildred's whereabouts.
50 years would be 1967 starting at 2017 and backward.
Well over 50 years could be defined as 1961 and a auto accident.
Did she remember where Mildred was the last time she had seen and heard from her.
Likely Windham in 1960 which offers no clue.
Did either of them know when and where their mother died. Jennie's obituary could contain a clue, you never know. A simple obituary mentioned the name of a niece and well that is how an adopted child was found. A simple obituary.

Quote:
I do not know when Mildred's employment with Esperanza started, but discussions with Nannette indicated that it ended at some point in 1960. Background is that Esperanza and Nannette did not get along. Esperanza sent Nannette away to Windham, New York to go to the local High School and sent Mildred to be her Nanny/Companion. They stayed at Nannette's Villa during that time.
Did Nannette tell you how, and by who, the resort came to be named after her? Suppose Mrs. Towers had a teenager as well. That child could now be of similar age as Nannette and remember some tiny clue if Mrs. Towers family can be located.

Old 01-02-2019, 10:27 PM

Default New lead on Jennie Ney

I have been exchanging emails with the new poster to the thread that appeared two or three pages back. She's the wife of my cousin and has had an interest in family research. Her discussions with other Galvin family members has yielded a new theory on the possible fate of Jennie Ney Galvin and why no one has ever found an obituary or place of burial. An elderly Galvin has suggested that Jennie was "crazy" and the reason that the family was split up in the 1930's. Apparently institutionalized and possibly a resident of Central Islip State Hospital on Long island. Residents who pass away during their stay there were buried in numbered graves and their information is nearly impossible to get. This theory if factual could explain our inability to locate Jennie Ney Galvin. This is serious food for thought. Lawmakers in New York have been trying to ease restrictions on release of former patients info and or burial location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search