Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2019, 07:50 AM

197 posts, read 195,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwestResident View Post
That would be a half sibling not step sibling
I uploaded my DNA file to FTDNA on the 24th of January. I'm also on Ancestry and My Heritage. As always hoping for a breakthrough. Any other sources allowing free uploads of Ancestry DNA data?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2019, 07:57 AM

23,830 posts, read 33,360,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Skin View Post
A while back I was communicating with the Secretary at St. Anne's Church In Waterbury. He did the research in church records and found entries that stated that Joseph and Mildred were first married by a Justice of the peace in Brewster, N.Y. on February 14, 1947 and then a few months later were married at St. Anne's Church.

Although we have found no Divorce records for them. The marriage license for my Dad and his second wife Mary indicates that both parties were previously Divorced. Whether they had to provide proof of that when applying is unknown. They were then married by a Justice of the Peace in Naugatuck, CT in 1952. No mention of Mildred on the documents. Catholic doctrine would not allow divorced individuals to marry in the Church.
Are you in Ohio or Connecticut? If Connecticut, you could easily go to county buildings to see if there are divorce records.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I worked a case a few years ago where they used one site to try to find records via DOB. That site is DOBsearch.com according to my notes

Turns out she was found on find a grave on Hart Island NY a year after her sister started looking for her. You just never know where someone will turn up. It started just like you looking for your mom but turned into a nightmare for her sister who's now my friend. One site decided she was a match to one of my Jane Doe cases. They even put it on facebook where it went viral. Her sister suffered from it.

As I've said, there is one Jane Doe that very well could be your mother and at some point you may have to report her missing. You really should get over to social security to see if she even had one.

I'm showing 2 sites used in my notes; this was the other site used Peoplefinders.com

DOBsearch.com 41 Mildred's with her DOB
5 Mildred M with her DOB
5 Mildred G with her DOB
4 Mildred B with her DOB assuming she used your last name as middle. We just don't know
Been up since 4:30 so decided to go back thru the thread where I left off with the cheat sheet. So that no one wastes time on the Mildreds listed I will quote the posts that have already been done. I didn't recall doing it but it was done for some of them.

Gonna put them in a 2nd reply as I'm not sure how much I have in notepad.

I also worked on your family search tree a little more as I caught a few things like addresses that I didn't have, so added them to William and Jennie. Added Williams obit photo to his family search and find a grave. Added Donald's obit to family search.

My opinion is still social security office for both Mildred and Jennie. You could kill a lot of questions going straight there as they may have records not online that you're entitled to.

Your DNA is in Ancestry and My Heritage, I still suggest FTDNA and GEDmatch Genesis as well as buying a 23 and me test. When was the last time you looked at matches? As I said before using their apps (Ancestry and My Heritage) makes this really quick to do.

Also, Nanette said her mother was spiteful and not a nice person; I wonder if your mom did not die. Possible Nanette asked about your mom, she said that just to hurt Nanette? Also possible your mom did move on to nanny in NY somewhere and was hit by a car. They found her ID; went to her apartment and found Esperanza's contact info and called her to see if she knew of any relatives that could claim her body. That I could see happening. Your mom could have written her prior work experience on an app for the new people.

Last edited by Roselvr; 01-26-2019 at 08:40 AM..

Old 01-26-2019, 07:59 AM

23,830 posts, read 33,360,848 times
This is what I have so as not to have anyone work on what's already been done.

1st refresher post - http://www.city-data.com/forum/peopl...l#post50236166

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
Looked through records and could not locate a death record/obituary for Jennie/Jenney/Jennifer Ney Galvin. We did searches in the Hartford Courant historical database could not locate an obituary for Jennie/Jenney/Jennifer Ney Galvin. Will look through some of Northwood cemetery ledgers to see if her name shows up before 1966 and after 1946.

That effort has failed to locate J. Galvin. Many thanks to The Hartford History Center for their efforts.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The conclusions can include:

a. William's wife died in another county.

b. Some unusual reason why her death was not reported. I have no knowledge on how deaths were handled (or mishandled) back in the 1950's so maybe it's possible (1%) she died in the home and was taken to a crematorium with no identification.

c. If she was not receiving retirement benefits then no family member would have reported her death to social security for the death index.

d. There is a 1% chance that William's obituary was in error as far as being predeceased by his wife.

Maybe some of the relatives that Leon has contacted and may contact again can help get something on his grandmother. It's not impossible that her death documents could contain Mildred's name.
Quote:
Update on Yesterdays Searches: New York State death index for years 1963 thru 1967 (excludes New York City Deaths) found 1189 Mildred's with various Surnames, none of which were Galvin. Then I found 79 of those to have the middle initial "M". Assuming she may have married and not having a last name to work with I was able to eliminate all 79 candidates due to age shown in database. None of the deceased were even close to the age Mildred would have been in that time frame. So, I think it is safe to say that she did not pass away in New York state outside of New York City during 1963 thru 1967. As always the search continues.
Quote:
Why did you exclude NYC as well as the years 1961-1962.
For Esperanza to know about Mildred's death (rumor that it was a car accident) then Mildred and Esperanza would have kept in touch after August 1960. Maybe just up to the year when Esperanza moved to Puerto Rico to live or Esperanza happened to see the accident or obituary in the N.Y. Times. Major newspapers are sold in other countries and states. Or after Esperanza moved to PR she and Mildred kept in touch by phone, letter or even met each other in some place in some year after 1960.

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
I do not know if you have already researched these ladies named Mildred (Millie) with 14 Apr 1928 birthdates -

Millie Lexington
14 Apr 1928
23 Jun 2007
Lexington, Massachusetts, USA
Quote:
I'm going look into Millie Lexington. I just noticed her last name Lexington is also her place of death Lexington, MA. That seems like there may be a transcription error in the index.

Edit-
The index should say Millie Collentro, not Lexington. And she is not the right Mildred.

"...born in Woburn on April 14, 1928, the daughter of Anthony and Maria (Bonfiglio) Catino. Mrs. Collentro lived in Lexington since 1949."

And it's not Mildred Abbott-
Mildred L. "Millie" Abbott 87, of Indianapolis, passed away August 24, 2015. She was born April 14, 1928 in Campbellsburg, KY to the late Levi and Lillian Louden Teague..

Mildred L Abbott
14 Apr 1928
24 Aug 2015
Maryland, USA
Evanston, Illinois, USA

Mildred Eurich
14 Apr 1928
7 Jul 1996
New York City, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
For Mildred Eurich.
10940 Middletown, Orange, New York, USA--last residence given for her in the SS Death Index. I looked her up because this one seems most likely as two of the others have a different middle initial and this one was in NY.

Mildred E Wortham
14 Apr 1928
14 Jan 2011
Indiana, USA
Quote:
The one from Indiana should be able to be eliminated unless there are two.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/...-lorene-abbott
She was born April 14, 1928 in Campbellsburg, KY to the late Levi and Lillian Louden Teague.
--------------------------------------------------------------
The first one had a last name of Lexington and died in a city by the same name?
Quote:
It is not unusual to have difficulty locating women in US records prior to 1919. These are after WWII and should not be this problematic. Unless someone is trying to hide, there is a paper trail. If she was an entertainer for example, she would have a name change. But we have no information indicating occupation other than a nanny to 16 yr old for a 1959 Cuba trip.

As a related side note about names & papertrails as prev mentioned, OP'S father is listed as Leon Edward (rather than Joseph L name given by OP) on census, military, & SS records...and it appears had DC as residence while in USNavy.

I have not read whether the OP had a search done of Catholic Dioceses records in Connecticut & New York & DC...marriages, births, baptisms of both parents and any offspring... That avenue should be pursued.

Also court records to find divorce proceedings and custody agreement & apparent guardianship by Aunt Betty--what is aunt Betty's full name? There is a legal paper trail somewhere regarding who was to have care of OP -- a very young minor. And that would include where Mildred was & her circumstance at that time.

Other than that Mildred may have been an inmate, but that typically turns up in a media search. She is not presently registered to vote (using given birthdate & Mildred) in CT or NY.

----
While doing a broad search for Millie Wortham in Georgia from last post, I found this Mildred M with birthdate off one day.--

Name: Mildred M Wortham
Birth Date: 15 Apr 1928
Phone Number: XXX- 9663
Address: 129 W Emlen Ave, Lawnside, NJ, 08045-1101
[212 Cornwall Ave, Trenton, NJ, 08618-3322]
[182 Mercer St, Trenton, NJ, 08611-1724 (1993)]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Yes, that was an odd turn of phrase in William's obituary, especially as they mentioned the brothers names.

We do know that Mildred's sister (Mr Skin's aunt) told her children (Mr Skin's cousins) that they didn't hear from Millie again after she left Mr Skin and his father.

I'm thinking that one of the brothers probably wrote the obituary. Just a hunch, but it could have been a bone of contention for the brothers that they were "stuck" taking care of the father while the sisters refused to (or couldn't be contacted for help), and that is why their names weren't given in the obituary. That phrasing "out of town" also suggests to me that perhaps the brothers simply didn't know where their sisters lived at that point. But, still, why didn't they at least give the sisters' names?

Has anyone looked to see whether there is any legal record of a will or probate for William in New Haven?

That might have more information, although probably not. But, it might be worth tracking down.
Quote:
Nannette told me that her dad was out of the marriage with Esperanza before Mildred came into the picture. Also that her dad never knew Mildred, making it unlikely that she worked for him at any time.
Quote:
It is not unusual to have difficulty locating women in US records prior to 1919. These are after WWII and should not be this problematic. Unless someone is trying to hide, there is a paper trail. If she was an entertainer for example, she would have a name change. But we have no information indicating occupation other than a nanny to 16 yr old for a 1959 Cuba trip.

As a related side note about names & papertrails as prev mentioned, OP'S father is listed as Leon Edward (rather than Joseph L name given by OP) on census, military, & SS records...and it appears had DC as residence while in USNavy.

I have not read whether the OP had a search done of Catholic Dioceses records in Connecticut & New York & DC...marriages, births, baptisms of both parents and any offspring... That avenue should be pursued.

Also court records to find divorce proceedings and custody agreement & apparent guardianship by Aunt Betty--what is aunt Betty's full name? There is a legal paper trail somewhere regarding who was to have care of OP -- a very young minor. And that would include where Mildred was & her circumstance at that time.

Other than that Mildred may have been an inmate, but that typically turns up in a media search. She is not presently registered to vote (using given birthdate & Mildred) in CT or NY.

----
While doing a broad search for Millie Wortham in Georgia from last post, I found this Mildred M with birthdate off one day.--

Name: Mildred M Wortham
Birth Date: 15 Apr 1928
Phone Number: XXX- 9663
Address: 129 W Emlen Ave, Lawnside, NJ, 08045-1101
[212 Cornwall Ave, Trenton, NJ, 08618-3322]
[182 Mercer St, Trenton, NJ, 08611-1724 (1993)]
Quote:
I also made a phone call to the Wortham residence in NJ. The phone number was good, but results were not.

Quote:
Crosby High School was where sister Catherine graduated from according to her obit. Did Mildred also graduate from there? If so the alumni association may have contact information.

I can not proceed further without more info contributed from Mr Skin, see post 295.
Quote:
Just got off the phone with Nannette. She said that Esperanza and Mildred were not friends and that Esperanza had just hired Mildred to act as a Nanny or Caretaker and stay with Nannette. According to Nannette, Esperanza had no friends because she was mean and nasty and a miserable person to be around. I had asked if she thought that Mildred would have gone to Puerto Rico with Esperanza to live, answer was "No, definitely not". Insisted again that Mildred did not know Walter, but how could she know that? Nannette said that Walter and Esperanza were split up by 1951 or 52 and that her Mom had taken her in the split up. Also asked her if she knew what type of other work Mildred may have done, she answered "No idea". Also asked her if she thought Mildred would have ever returned to Cuba and she answered "No, she didn't like it there". I caught Nannette on her break, so we could not talk too long. She feels I should be looking back in Connecticut and trying to find out if Mildred returned there or has contacted anyone.
Quote:
Thanks for the update. I think Nanette is about the best source we can get at the moment and I'm glad you spoke with her again. Interesting that Esperanza was mean and nasty and they were not friends. Could be that Mildred answered an ad in the paper and that's how she got the job. No friendly contact needed, no meeting with Mr Hecker, no restaurant experience--just answered an ad.

I also think it makes sense that Mildred wouldn't have gone to live in Puerto Rico or Cuba. The Cuba trip sounds like something that involved Esperanza, that's all. It's doubtful that Mildred spoke Spanish or would be comfortable in either Cuba or Puerto Rico. There would have been no reason for her to move out of the country unless, on the slim chance she had met someone and moved with them.

I searched again for a death but found none. I followed RosieSD's suggestion and searched in NY, NJ, and CT for a marriage or a death but found none. I wonder how you could find out if she ever contacted anyone in CT. Trying to think of how we could find out if she ever came back.
Quote:
The only other box left to check might be to follow up with CT and NJ about whether Mildred died there in a car accident in the early 60s, as you did with NY.
Below is edited to take out irrelavent info
Quote:
I think I'd call the book, "Grasping at Straws." Mildred really does seem to have flown beneath our radar.

From Northofhere:

She is survived by her daughters, Eileen Quinn Young, of Fletcher, N.C., and Noreen Quinn, of Waterbury; a son, Robert Quinn, of Middlebury; she also is survived by six grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren; a sister, Jane Marie Bell, lives in Waterbury

She=Mildred's sister, Catherine died in Meriden CT in 2009. No mention of Mildred in her obituary. Does that mean dead or not known or what?

From historyfan

Naugatuck Daily, p11, June 14, 1957
Engagement announcement for Margaret May Galvin, daughter of William Edward Galvin of Bridgeport and late Mrs Galvin....to marry David Wm Russell, Jr....she granddaughter of Annie B Galvin of Meadow Street and late Joseph E. Galvin. To be married June 29 St Augustine's Cathedral, Bridgeport...

Would the newspaper archives have a write up about the wedding that might mention the guests? You would think Mildred would have attended her own sister's wedding. They were very close in age. We know that she was still alive in 1957.
Quote:
I just noticed another error in the text of the obit for William. Listed the two sons, and Edward's middle initial should be "F" not "C" as his middle name was Francis. Also according to Edward's daughter, her father never saw his Mother or Sisters again, that was after the family was split up and he ran away and joined the Army. I do know from talking to James Galvin (Donald's Son) that the two boys Donald and Edward did hang out with their Dad William quite often and swap War stories. It is my belief that they did not know where their sisters were. This would explain the passing reference to the Daughters in the obituary.
Quote:
I have searched the database for the State of CT. death records.

There is no William (the father) dated 1966. But the index is 1897 to 1966 to possibly explain why he is not listed.

There are no names between Jane and Jeremiah out of 347 Galvin.

There are over 1.3 million listings if Jennie remarried and anyone finds her married name. Her obituary might very well hold some clue.

No Mildred but there is a Mildr died May 5, 1962 Naugatuck, CT.

I see a few other first names that have been abbreviated it seems. Maybe Mildr is a Mildred Galvin (d 1962).
-------------------------------------------
From another source there is a Mildred Galvin died 1982 in Danbury and another one died 1988 in Bristol.
Quote:
I believe the Mildred that died in Danbury is the same one traveling with a Daniel Galvin in 1955 on the 'Queen of Bermuda" Oceanliner. Their residence is in Danbury and that Mildred I believe was a Galvin thru marriage. Also found that she was born in Danbury, CT and not in Waterbury, CT.

I believe the one from Bristol is a Mildred C. Galvin, whose husband also has the name Daniel.

James Galvin (Donald's son) finally called me back earlier today. He has no idea where his Grandmother (Jennie) is buried, in fact he did not even know her name until I told him. He is going to look into it though. I am not holding my breath on this one. James admitted that their family has never been close.
Quote:
Mildred May Galvin born in Waterbury Ct. St. Mary's Hospital on 14 April 1928.......Fact
Her Father was William J. Galvin born 1892.............................................. .......Fact
Her Mother was Jennie Ney Galvin born 1896 in Meriden, CT...............................Fact
Residence in 1948 was 147 Prospect St., Waterbury, CT with Joseph L. Beausoleil..Fact
Marriage to Joseph L. Beausoleil was 4 Feb. 1947 according to family records, no supporting official documents found to date.
Mildred gave birth to me at St. Mary's Hospital July 1948..................................Fact
Mildred was out of my life by age 2 (!950) I lived with an Aunt on my Dad's Side, Betty L. Beausoleil 119 Rawley Ave. Waterbury, CT
Dad returns from Korean Conflict (1950 to 1954) and marries Mary Marasco 4 August 1955 I am now living with them. Fact.
Earlier at some point between 1948 and 1950 a Marital? spat results in Mildred leaving and family accounts suggest that Mildred took off for New York. I believe this is true.
In 1959 Mildred surfaces traveling with 2 other women, a mother and daughter returning from Cuba. Mildred had been retained by the mother to be a Nanny to the mother's rebellious daughter. Residence was listed for Mildred and Nannette on travel documents as Windham, New York. I have been in contact with the daughter who was 16 at the time of the Cuba trip which lasted a period of 3 weeks to 1 month. This has been confirmed by the daughter. Also that the mother is no longer living. Residence in Windham was called Nannette's Villa and no addresses were available in that time frame.
Mildred continued to work as the Nanny in Windham, New York for an additional 8 or 9 months , as per the daughter's accounting of the time frame. She said at that point Mildred returned to Manhattan.
From that point forward the daughter and Mildred had no contact either in person or in writing. As per the daughter.
So according to Nannette, Mildred was returning to Manhattan around the fall of 1960. At some point after that there were un proven reports of Mildred being killed in an accident. Medical Examiners Office for New York City found no Medical Examiners case for Mildred M. Galvin.
So I would say that is where we stand today. If I had all the answers, I would not have started the thread in the first place.
Quote:
Again, your reasoning is sound, but Several people here (including Mr Skin) have also already looked through all of the marriage records for Mildred Galvins in the U.S. who got married after 1959 (when we know Mildred was still single).

They were all ruled out due to reasons like their obituaries or death records (or other documents) indicating a different birth year, different parents, or different siblings, or for other reasons (i.e., they were shown on a Census living or in City Directories living no where near CT during the time we know for certain Mr Skins mother did).

The only one that hasn't been 100% ruled out was a Mildred Galvin who married in Massachussetts in the early 1960s, so perhaps you can look into that one and confirm if she's Mr Skin's mother or not? The details about her are outlined earlier in this thread.
Quote:
Hallelujah....I would call this at least a minor breakthrough. I just received the following email from Chris, who is the Parish Secretary at St. Anne's Parish in Waterbury, CT. Apparently my Aunt had mistakenly written Feb 4, 1947 in the family records when it should have been Feb. 14, 1947. I have pasted the email below:

Hi Mr. Skin (real name redacted)

Merry Christmas! I apologize for taking so long to get back to you on this, but it has been very busy with us moving offices and preparing for Christmas.

What I found is that your parents were married in the church on March 29, 1947 by Rev. Ubald Laurion. The witnesses were Raymond Beausoleil and Betty Richardson. There is a notation in the register stating that your parents were married by a justice of the peace in Brewster on February 14, 1947.

Blessings,
Chris

Hallelujah........I am Legitimate!! Also I never knew my Aunt Betty's maiden name before today.
Quote:
States have different public access laws regarding court records. Some follow the 75 years release to public that federal records follow. I am not familiar with researching in Connecticut.

In general if the records were sealed, as they are in cases like adoptions, a judge would have to open them following a request by a descendent.

However, this seems more like something that would be public record or at least part of it would be public. Also if either parent was involuntarily committed to an asylum there should be a court order for that.

New Haven County courthouse is where to start.
I would call the clerk of court and ask for advice on what court (family court perhaps) to look for William & Jennie Galvin's children placed (& perhaps relinquished) between 1930 and 1940 in that county.

Courthouse record research tends to be paid research done by a local researcher (unless there happens to be a volunteer with random acts of genealogical kindness for court house records in New Haven County).
If Mr Skin goes that route, a search for probate records of William Galvin should also be on the list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Quote:
Correct.

I do think that your suggestion that Mr Leon look for any possible records about the placement of the children might be worth pursuing, as one possibility is that they don't appear on census records because they were wards of the court or in orphanages.

And, even if we find them on the 1940 census, that still won't tell us where Mildred went in 1960, 20 years later.

But, it might fill in some pieces of the puzzle.

I'm increasingly convinced that William and Jennie never divorced. They may have separated at some point, but I don't think they ever legally divorced. If they had, it seems unlikely that William's obituary would have called her his "wife." But, it bugs me that her name was spelled wrong (Jenney) in the obituary.

And, I don't buy the story that the older brothers couldn't remember their sister's names. Edward was at least 13 if not older when the kids were "sent away." A 13 year old would remember the names of his younger sisters, and likely also would know how to spell his mother's first name.

My father was put in an orphanage at 10, and he remembered the names of ALL of his younger and older siblings, and named ME after his mother.

Mr Leon, if you are still reading this thread, I saw your family tree on Ancestry. I noticed that you didn't have information about William's parents and siblings. I have that information if you would like to add it to your tree. Just let me know.
Quote:
Well, I received a copy of my Dad's Marriage application and certificate for his second marriage to Mary A. O'Conner, who then became Mary (Marasco) Beausoleil (Marasco was her maiden name before marrying O'Conner). So she dropped her middle name Ann and replaced it with maiden name, and later just went by Mary M. Beausoleil.

The application mentioned that this would be the second marriage for both of them, and that both were Divorced. Marriage took place in Naugatuck, CT on August 4, 1952. The date listed in our family records had been written over to read 1955, but you can see the 2 underneath it.

Unfortunately, there was no mention of Mildred Galvin (my Mom) on the records.

This new info only changes my recollection of things as a 4 year old. I had mentioned in a previous post that I thought I had been placed in the care of my Dad's new girlfriend, based on the date of a 1952 Christmas photo, when in fact, they were already married earlier that year.

Wedding had been performed by a Justice of the Peace (Civil Marriage), therefore no Annulments had to be obtained from the Catholic Church.

Sorry to say that this document in no way helps in the search for Mildred May Galvin (my Mom), although it does narrow the time frame when searching for a divorce Decree from Mildred to August 1, 1948 thru July 29, 1952.
Quote:
This update most likely will not help in the search for my Birth Mother Mildred May Galvin to which I have not been actively involved of late. I received a message from an Ancestry member who just received her DNA results back and she was interested in contacting me because her DNA and mine were linked and stated to be 1st or 2nd cousins. She got a look at my tree on Ancestry and determined she is an Aunt of mine by way of her Father who was William J. Galvin who is as you may know my maternal Grandfather. All I am at liberty to say is her mother was not Jennie E. (Ney) Galvin. She had gone looking for Galvins to see if anyone had a picture of her birth father. So we learn from this that my Mother has a half sister that no one knew about. She did not know anything about the Galvins and has no information about her half sister (my mother). Sorry to say that this info just seems to add more mystery to everything we already knew. Although it does provide hope that someday a half brother or sister may pop up if my Mom did not meet her demise in the early 1960's. If anything new developes I will post again.
This is good because it gives you Galvins to match with at Ancestry.

Quote:
Thanks for the update.

I assume you know whether your mother's half sister is still living and when she was born. If years younger than your mother.......has your Aunt made efforts to locate and contact people who were in a position to know something about the relationship with William?
Classmates, co-workers, friends, neighbors, etc.
A new set of persons who knew of the relationship could remotely lead to a photo or some other clue.

A photo of William could help locate where your grandmother lived and died as well as your mother. From what I remember no one was able to find death records, etc. for Jennie Ney much less her daughter Mildred. I tried CT and NY for both females. No results. No will or probate. No obituaries. I did get William's obituary as you know but it did not help locate even his wife.

My guess was and remains (only my guess) that Mildred married 1+ times, her last name changed, she left the NY-CT area and lived until her death (or may live) in another state or even a small island near Florida.

Maybe DNA test results gives you more in the future. I hope so.
Quote:
Yes. I agree. What happened to Jenney/Jenny/Jennie?

What year did William marry the next wife? Or did he not marry her -- only fathered a child?

Nanette's father? Was he ever mentioned in this thread?
Quote:
I have been exchanging emails with the new poster to the thread that appeared two or three pages back. She's the wife of my cousin and has had an interest in family research. Her discussions with other Galvin family members has yielded a new theory on the possible fate of Jennie Ney Galvin and why no one has ever found an obituary or place of burial. An elderly Galvin has suggested that Jennie was "crazy" and the reason that the family was split up in the 1930's. Apparently institutionalized and possibly a resident of Central Islip State Hospital on Long island. Residents who pass away during their stay there were buried in numbered graves and their information is nearly impossible to get. This theory if factual could explain our inability to locate Jennie Ney Galvin. This is serious food for thought. Lawmakers in New York have been trying to ease restrictions on release of former patients info and or burial location.
Quote:
That's an interesting idea. It *could* also just be a simple name change or something similar. The Social Security record for her on Ancestry is NOT a death record (or at least not the typical death record).

There is also another SS record for her and William that seems to pertain to Edward. It could just be an application for Edward's SS number; I'm not sure. Nothing shows up for any of the other kids.

Here is that record, in case others have ideas:

Name: Edward Francis Galvin
[Edward F Galvin]
Race: White
Birth Date: 27 Feb 1918
Birth Place: Waterbury, Connecticut
Death Date: 15 Nov 2001
Father: William J Galvin
Mother: Jennie Ney
SSN: 042035442
Notes: Nov 1936: Name listed as EDWARD FRANCIS GALVIN; 27 Nov 2001: Name listed as EDWARD F GALVIN

Source:
Ancestry.com. U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2015.

Original data: Social Security Applications and Claims, 1936-2007.

Last edited by Roselvr; 01-26-2019 at 08:16 AM..

Old 01-26-2019, 10:40 AM

26,649 posts, read 28,528,829 times
Roselvr, that's quite a lot of work you did on that extensive summary. It's good to bring things up to date so that we are all literally on the same page.

Just some random ramblings here:

On the mental institution for Jennie, I would tend to believe that it is true. That would explain why the family was split up. That an elderly relative remembered that Jennie was "crazy" also rings true, as that is how people referred to the mentally ill back then, "crazy."

Islip, NY does seem like an odd place to put her though and does make me wonder if there was some sort of a NY connection. I looked online and CT had a lot of mental institutions, so why NY? Mildred and Mr Skin's dad were later married in Brewster, NY. And Mildred later went to work in New York state.

(Although, running off to work in New York wasn't unusual for someone in CT as there wasn't/isn't much in CT. NY would have been where the jobs were. Also an easy escape and place to lose yourself. That would explain Mildred going to NY but why was she married there? And why was her mother probably institutionalized there?)

Divorce of Jennie not being found--they probably never were divorced, and I think this is the case because I've just recalled an aunt of my own who lived in either MA or CT after her husband died. This was 1955/56. She started dating a nice man and the family liked him very much. Thing was, his wife was in a mental institution so he was not allowed to divorce her. He could never divorce so he could never remarry. And my aunt had to find another nice man instead. The illegality of divorcing someone who is in a mental institution, might explain why no divorce record has ever been found.

If there is a New York family or friend connection, I actually don't know what good it would do in terms of this search, just thought I'd throw it out there. Slim chance, I suppose, that Mildred might have gone to live with someone around Brewster after she left Esperanza's employment. Might be interesting to see the names of witnesses on that Feb 14th New York marriage certificate as it might have been a friend or relative living there.

That's all I can come up with, just some tidbits.

Last edited by in_newengland; 01-27-2019 at 09:32 AM..

Old 01-26-2019, 12:38 PM

664 posts, read 495,565 times
Quote:
I uploaded my DNA file to FTDNA on the 24th of January. I'm also on Ancestry and My Heritage. As always hoping for a breakthrough. Any other sources allowing free uploads of Ancestry DNA data?
I suggest also uploading your AncestryDNA to Myheritage and GedMatch as well. DNA your best option at this point. Hope you get a breakthrough soon and fast.

I haven't replied much to this thread but have been following along since you first started this thread.

I hate to say it, but I wonder if your Mom Family (and even your Dad Family as well and this Friend of your Mom too) is telling you the whole truth? One has to wonder if there is something they are not telling you? I think they are withholding valuable information from you and are not telling you everything. Families are are good at keeping secrets.

There is something a little fishy about this whole thing to be honest. I find some of the stuff Your Mom Family has told you kind of hard to believe. Like your Uncles never telling their Daughters he had Three Sister? I really don't buy that. sorry.

You Aunt last talk to your Mom in 1967 (as you posted last year), long after she came back from Cuba. Which could means they had been in contact before then. I would try and find out more about their last conversation if you can.

I hope you get your answers soon!

Last edited by NorthwestResident; 01-26-2019 at 01:09 PM..

Old 01-26-2019, 12:57 PM

14,416 posts, read 20,513,085 times
Quote:
I suggest also uploading your AncestryDNA to Myheritage and GedMatch as well.

There is something a little fishy about this whole thing to be honest. I find some of the stuff Your Mom Family has told you kind of hard to believe. Like your Uncles never telling their Daughters he had Three Sister? I really don't buy that. sorry.

You Aunt last talk to your Mom in 1967 (as you posted last year), long after she came back from Cuba. Which could means they had been in contact before then. I would try and find out more about their last conversation if you can.
I went back to post 565 and I do not see, or remember, Mildred having talked to the Op's Aunt in 1967.
I thought we had nothing after 1960 except she left Windham in 1960 headed for NYC. I'll go back and search for that comment referring to 1967.

I do not think we know the ages of the 5 children when they left the home. Even if they were only 4-5 years old I do agree they should have remembered that each other existed. Age 2-3 maybe not.

Interesting that Hope Towers was owner of the villa from summer 1956 until sometime after Mildred left for New York or 4+ years. Nanette was only 13 in 1956. Maybe Mildred was her nanny that far back and with any connection at all to Hope Towers then interaction between the two surely was constant over a period of many months if not 1-2+ years. I do not think we know the year Mildred became the nanny but she had to have Nanette's parent's permission.

Old 01-26-2019, 01:12 PM

Quote:
I went back to post 565 and I do not see, or remember, Mildred having talked to the Op's Aunt in 1967.
I thought we had nothing after 1960 except she left Windham in 1960 headed for NYC. I'll go back and search for that comment referring to 1967.

I do not think we know the ages of the 5 children when they left the home. Even if they were only 4-5 years old I do agree they should have remembered that each other existed. Age 2-3 maybe not.

Interesting that Hope Towers was owner of the villa from summer 1956 until sometime after Mildred left for New York or 4+ years. Nanette was only 13 in 1956. Maybe Mildred was her nanny that far back and with any connection at all to Hope Towers then interaction between the two surely was constant over a period of many months if not 1-2+ years. I do not think we know the year Mildred became the nanny but she had to have Nanette's parent's permission.
I do recall The OP at one point saying his Aunt had not talk to his Mom in 49 Years. I did find 1930 Census with the Family and it does list their Ages.

I agree. Surely they all (at least the older ones) knew that they had siblings out there who existed?

Yes that is interesting. That could be a lead

Old 01-26-2019, 02:20 PM

Quote:
That is a possibility.

The other possibility: William and Jennie ran into financial difficulties, put the kids into foster homes temporarily. Things improved, they went back for the boys but not the girls. The girls were younger than the boys, so may have remembered it as "parents having difficulties" which became "split up" in their minds.

In any case, we have not been able to find a divorce record for Jennie and William so far. If anyone wants to take another look into that, it would be great.
Looking through this thread again. I agree with your post here. I think this is very likely what happened and make a lot of sense and would explain why they were living in same household in 1940s and then when William died Jennie is mentioned as his wife. There is not record indicating they got a divorce or a even Newspaper article.

In the 1920s and 1930s, a lot of Children were put into Orphanages for a lot of different reason including finance problems. Some parents did go back and get their Kids but a lot didn't sadly.

Old 01-26-2019, 02:33 PM

26,649 posts, read 28,528,829 times
Quote:
I suggest also uploading your AncestryDNA to Myheritage and GedMatch as well. DNA your best option at this point. Hope you get a breakthrough soon and fast.

I haven't replied much to this thread but have been following along since you first started this thread.

I hate to say it, but I wonder if your Mom Family (and even your Dad Family as well and this Friend of your Mom too) is telling you the whole truth? One has to wonder if there is something they are not telling you? I think they are withholding valuable information from you and are not telling you everything. Families are are good at keeping secrets.

I hope you get your answers soon!
"Fishy" turned up in my family too, although it was genealogy, back many, many years. The older people had never heard ONE SINGLE WORD about their grandfather, not even his name! Turns out there was something that was considered "scandalous" at the time. Very often when something is kept secret it was because they were ashamed of it.

To me, this lends credence to Jennie being "crazy" and put into a mental institution. And in those days, that was a stigma and not to be spoken of. It's so different from today when we are more compassionate and understanding. Again, I think she is probably the person who was identified as found in the Islip mental institution.

Good chance a lot of family information was shoved under the carpet and they weren't told very much.

I hope I'm not overstepping my bounds here but are people searching for Mildred by her married name or by her maiden name? Any information after the marriage would probably be under her married name, although she could have used her maiden name informally or as a way of hiding, if she had a reason to hide. If she remarried, it would have been with her married name, Beausoleil, not Galvin.

In case there's still any interest in seeing whether or not there was a divorce, divorce records are available through
https://portal.ct.gov/DPH/Health-Inf...e-FAQs#Divorce

Old 01-26-2019, 03:58 PM

14 posts, read 10,480 times
I believe Esperanza IS Hope Towers. Esperanza means Hope in Spanish. I saw the name in a wedding announcement.

Seems strange now that Mildred would be a Nanny during the estimated years. Why the multiple names? Flying under Hecker but using Towers.

Last edited by jommie; 01-26-2019 at 04:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search