U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2019, 04:05 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,847,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
I was able to get copies of two newspaper ads about the Villa (one of which was found by historyfan ). The name of the Villa is spelled two different ways and I'll post them later.
-----------------------------------------------
I also have a document that shows a relationship between Hope Towers and Nanette.

Mr Skin you can let me know if you want this to be posted on the forum as the search for your mother continues on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jommie View Post
I believe Esperanza IS Hope Towers. Esperanza means Hope in Spanish. I also just found Nanette's wedding announcement in the Kingston Daily Freeman dated 01/04/1961.
What about Mr. Towers. Why did he not give away his daughter.
Also I forwarded that announcement to the Op the other day and at that time he did not want me to post it on the forum. If Hope and Esperanza were the same that would answer a few new questions.

Last edited by howard555; 01-26-2019 at 04:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2019, 04:07 PM

14 posts, read 4,930 times
I came across a 1963 article listing Esperanza as "Mrs. Hope Alexander"

Last edited by jommie; 01-26-2019 at 04:14 PM.. Reason: formatting

Old 01-26-2019, 04:12 PM

Quote:
What about Mr. Towers. Why did he not give away his daughter.
Also I forwarded the wedding announcement to the Op the other day and at that time he did not want me to post it on the forum. If Hope and Esperanza were the same that wold answer a few new questions that came from the announcement.
Good question, will have to check on Walter. Maybe the guests would have met Mildred and be able to help as a last resort. I will delete the details since the OP has seen the article in full.

Old 01-26-2019, 04:55 PM

Walter Hecker married Eppie Torres 12/9/1948 -- Eppie = Esperanza = Hope Torres = Towers

Makes sense now! So likely was step-father.

Old 01-27-2019, 12:57 AM

10,673 posts, read 21,348,205 times
Quote:
I went back to post 565 and I do not see, or remember, Mildred having talked to the Op's Aunt in 1967.
I thought we had nothing after 1960 except she left Windham in 1960 headed for NYC. I'll go back and search for that comment referring to 1967.

I do not think we know the ages of the 5 children when they left the home. Even if they were only 4-5 years old I do agree they should have remembered that each other existed. Age 2-3 maybe not.

Interesting that Hope Towers was owner of the villa from summer 1956 until sometime after Mildred left for New York or 4+ years. Nanette was only 13 in 1956. Maybe Mildred was her nanny that far back and with any connection at all to Hope Towers then interaction between the two surely was constant over a period of many months if not 1-2+ years. I do not think we know the year Mildred became the nanny but she had to have Nanette's parent's permission.
I just went over a lot of the thread. I reread everything Mr Skin posted. I never saw where he said anyone spoke to her after his parents were split up. He has a few photos of his mom in his profile album that he got from one of his cousins that her mother had. They knew where she was when she was married but after she left it seems no one heard from her.

In what I requoted yesterday, it's said that Nanette's parents were divorced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Skin View Post
Nannette told me that her dad was out of the marriage with Esperanza before Mildred came into the picture. Also that her dad never knew Mildred, making it unlikely that she worked for him at any time.
Hope is most likely a step mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Roselvr, that's quite a lot of work you did on that extensive summary. It's good to bring things up to date so that we are all literally on the same page.

Just some random ramblings here:

On the mental institution for Jennie, I would tend to believe that it is true. That would explain why the family was split up. That an elderly relative remembered that Jennie was "crazy" also rings true, as that is how people referred to the mentally ill back then, "crazy."

Islip, NY does seem like an odd place to put her though and does make me wonder if there was some sort of a NY connection. I looked online and CT had a lot of mental institutions, so why NY? Mildred and Mr Skin's dad were later married in Brewster, NY. And Mildred later went to work in New York state.

(Although, running off to work in New York wasn't unusual for someone in CT as there wasn't/isn't much in CT. NY would have been where the jobs were. Also an easy escape and place to lose yourself. That would explain Mildred going to NY but why was she married there? And why was her mother probably institutionalized there?)

Divorce of Jennie not being found--they probably never were divorced, and I think this is the case because I've just recalled an aunt of my own who lived in either MA or CT after her husband died. This was 1955/56. She started dating a nice man and the family liked him very much. Thing was, his wife was in a mental institution so he was not allowed to divorce her. He could never divorce so he could never remarry. And my aunt had to find another nice man instead. The illegality of divorcing someone who is in a mental institution, might explain why no divorce record has ever been found.

If there is a New York family or friend connection, I actually don't know what good it would do in terms of this search, just thought I'd throw it out there. Slim chance, I suppose, that Mildred might have gone to live with someone around Brewster after she left Esperanza's employment. Might be interesting to see the names of witnesses on that Feb 14th New York marriage certificate as it might have been a friend or relative living there.

That's all I can come up with, just some tidbits.
It was a lot of work but it's what I like to do when I wake up early. It gives me a chance to go back over the info to refresh myself with the case since Mr Skin decided to start looking again. I know I don't want to do work we've already done so it was time well spent.

I'm glad you have knowledge of the area. According to google maps, Islip NY is 2 hours from Waterbury. Since Connecticut had a lot of institutions it does make you wonder why there? I don't think I have much for Jennie on the family search tree so it's all a guess right now. Could it be the farther the better?

We know Jennie had a social. I brought that post back up. I bet the social hit was because she was admitted. It's what happened to one of my cases. Each time the gal had a baby her name was recorded as the name she used with each admittance. I think if Mr Skin went to the social security office with what we have for Jennie it may clear up where she died. He can also ask if his mother had a social while there. Chances are she worked under the table but we really don't know at this point. It's also possible Esperanza paid her with a legal check that she paid taxes with. If for some reason Mildred is alive, Mr Skin may get lucky where social security will pass a letter to her. Social Security is easy, he just needs to have time to go down there during business hours which may be a problem if he works during the day. I don't know if they have night hours but they should be open later at least one night a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwestResident View Post
I suggest also uploading your AncestryDNA to Myheritage and GedMatch as well. DNA your best option at this point. Hope you get a breakthrough soon and fast.

I haven't replied much to this thread but have been following along since you first started this thread.

I hate to say it, but I wonder if your Mom Family (and even your Dad Family as well and this Friend of your Mom too) is telling you the whole truth? One has to wonder if there is something they are not telling you? I think they are withholding valuable information from you and are not telling you everything. Families are are good at keeping secrets.

There is something a little fishy about this whole thing to be honest. I find some of the stuff Your Mom Family has told you kind of hard to believe. Like your Uncles never telling their Daughters he had Three Sister? I really don't buy that. sorry.

You Aunt last talk to your Mom in 1967 (as you posted last year), long after she came back from Cuba. Which could means they had been in contact before then. I would try and find out more about their last conversation if you can.

I hope you get your answers soon!
His DNA is currently at Ancestry and My Heritage. He needs FTDNA and GEDmatch Genesis.

I honestly feel they're telling Mr Skin everything they know which isn't much. Most of the Galvin kids are deceased except one that Mr Skin was able to speak to in a nursing home.

Mr Skin has never posted that anyone spoke to Mildred after she and his father split up. For whatever reason they got divorced and she left without her child; I'm sure there was shame for her there. I've told the story of it happening to my MIL's mother. Her family never knew she even had my MIL or her brother. It was not talked about. We did find the birth announcements and wedding announcement. I do wonder if there is something for Mr Skins parents that has not been found yet.

Quote:
"Fishy" turned up in my family too, although it was genealogy, back many, many years. The older people had never heard ONE SINGLE WORD about their grandfather, not even his name! Turns out there was something that was considered "scandalous" at the time. Very often when something is kept secret it was because they were ashamed of it.

To me, this lends credence to Jennie being "crazy" and put into a mental institution. And in those days, that was a stigma and not to be spoken of. It's so different from today when we are more compassionate and understanding. Again, I think she is probably the person who was identified as found in the Islip mental institution.

Good chance a lot of family information was shoved under the carpet and they weren't told very much.
I agree, people just didn't talk about shameful things. I was married to my hub over 10 years when I found out his grandmother who I was very close to wasn't the mother of his mother. I was floored. For some reason gram never had kids with hubs grandpa; she instead chose to raise his 2 kids from his 1st (abusive) marriage. The mother never came back to see the kids.

Quote:
I hope I'm not overstepping my bounds here but are people searching for Mildred by her married name or by her maiden name? Any information after the marriage would probably be under her married name, although she could have used her maiden name informally or as a way of hiding, if she had a reason to hide. If she remarried, it would have been with her married name, Beausoleil, not Galvin.

In case there's still any interest in seeing whether or not there was a divorce, divorce records are available through
https://portal.ct.gov/DPH/Health-Inf...e-FAQs#Divorce
I agree that legally Mildred is most likely Mildred Beausoleil, not Galvin. No one has found a divorce. I think looking locally in Waterbury or the county it's in would make sense.

I think she "used" Galvin as a nanny; we know she used it to travel to Cuba. I would think she had to be pretty connected to Nanette to have mentioned Mr Skin to her. The question is, did Esperanza know Mildred have a child? We may never know unless Mr Skin has asked Nanette.

Quote:
I came across a 1963 article listing Esperanza as "Mrs. Hope Alexander"
Can you DM it to me?

Last edited by in_newengland; 01-27-2019 at 06:23 PM..

Old 01-27-2019, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
We know Jennie had a social. I brought that post back up. I bet the social hit was because she was admitted. It's what happened to one of my cases. Each time the gal had a baby her name was recorded as the name she used with each admittance. I think if Mr Skin went to the social security office with what we have for Jennie it may clear up where she died. He can also ask if his mother had a social while there. Chances are she worked under the table but we really don't know at this point. It's also possible Esperanza paid her with a legal check that she paid taxes with. If for some reason Mildred is alive, Mr Skin may get lucky where social security will pass a letter to her. Social Security is easy, he just needs to have time to go down there during business hours which may be a problem if he works during the day. I don't know if they have night hours but they should be open later at least one night a week.
Did some checking of my local social security office; I thought they were open late one night but I'm wrong, they actually have one shortened day which I did find out when I went on a Wednesday. Live and learn.

If Mildred is alive I can't imagine how happy she would be to be reunited with her son! Mr Skin could explain to social security why she left without him; I'm sure they'd be happy to pass a letter on to her. This really is the best chance he has to find her if alive. Surely she'd be collecting social security? Mr Skin should write a letter and carry 2 envelopes and stamps just in case they say yes. Could be a quick letter with been looking for you for xx amount of years, please call me, here is my number; we have a lot of catching up to do MOM! Tears in my eyes just thinking about it! Time is not on our side.

Remember, looking for Mildred with both Galvin and Beausoleil

My local (NJ) social security hours

Monday:9:00 AM 4:00 PM
Tuesday:9:00 AM 4:00 PM
Wednesday:9:00 AM 12:00 PM
Thursday:9:00 AM 4:00 PM
Friday:9:00 AM 4:00 PM

Old 01-27-2019, 01:16 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,847,044 times
At what age did Mildred leave the home. Was she adopted? Her adoptive parents may have mentioned her in their obituaries or their will and may have known what happened to her after age 32 (1960). If that has been discounted then my error.

Old 01-27-2019, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Just a quick note on the Social Security record for Jane Ney Galvin. It does NOT list her date of death as 1947.

Here is the exact record as it appears on Ancestry:

Name: Jane Ney Galvin
[Jane Esther Ney]
Race: White
Birth Date: 14 Apr 1895
Birth Place: Meriden N H, Connecticut
Father: John Ney
Mother: Mary Fisher
SSN: 042245214
Notes: Feb 1947: Name listed as JANE NEY GALVIN

So the "note" on the record merely shows that in Feb 1947 her name was recorded as Jane Ney Galvin with Social Security. It doesn't say she died in 1947.

Also, note that this record is NOT from the Social Security death index. It is from this source:

U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2015.
Original data: Social Security Applications and Claims, 1936-2007.

It is my understanding that this database (the "Claims Index") shows records for when people applied to receive social security benefits. These could be disability benefits or social security retirement benefits.

So, if Jane Ney Galvin is the same person as Jennie Ney Galvin (and again, we haven't yet confirmed that in any way), this is not a record of her death. It is a record of her applying for social security benefits.
Just another small tidbit here. Jennie's SSN begins in 042 which is a Connecticut prefix. I assume she applied for a number and/or benefits in February, 1947. She was already admitted at Central Islip in 1940 if that record is correct (and I believe so) --- likely she may have returned home or was transferred to Connecticut before 1947 as the number was issued there.

Old 01-27-2019, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Just another small tidbit here. Jennie's SSN begins in 042 which is a Connecticut prefix. I assume she applied for a number and/or benefits in February, 1947. She was already admitted at Central Islip in 1940 if that record is correct (and I believe so) --- likely she may have returned home or was transferred to Connecticut before 1947 as the number was issued there.
Do you think that since her record was on ancestry that she's deceased?

Old 01-27-2019, 02:46 PM

196 posts, read 109,371 times
Default Jennie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Do you think that since her record was on ancestry that she's deceased?

The contact of Jennie with SS in 1947 appears to me to be for reason of name change. what I do not understand is why my source listed her entire SS number if she was still alive. Her name was changed to Jane Ney Galvin ss# 042-xx-xxxx (numbers omitted for safety)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or