U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2019, 02:26 AM

10,742 posts, read 21,385,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwestResident View Post
Great. Hope you get answers soon.

I also suggest doing is a mtDNA test from FamilyTreeDNA. It traces your direct maternal line only and find matches who share the same mtDNA or common Female ancestor in the same direct maternal line.
I'd wait until it's on sale as the tests are very pricey. I recently did my uncles Y-DNA, seems like a whole bunch of nothing but then again, Galvin is probably more common then my uncles side. At some point I will do my uncles mtDNA because he's the only one that has his mothers DNA. I also want to do my male cousin's Y-DNA to get my grandfathers side. The last name was spelled a few different ways over the last few hundred years. I'll do my own mtDNA to get my grandmothers; but at close to $200 each test, it does go on sale for $130, lowest was $99 for the winter holiday season

Y-DNA $169
mtDNA $199

Last edited by Roselvr; 01-29-2019 at 02:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2019, 05:23 PM

14 posts, read 4,950 times
I found a couple of articles on a Mildred Galvin in the Yonkers area - has anyone seen these or debunked that this could be the Mildred we are seeking? I cannot find the Aunt referenced in Ancestry. There was a Catherine Fisher who would have been her grand-aunt possibly. May be more info or an obit in Newspapers.com for the 6/4/1962, Daily News of New York but I do not have a subscription.

Herald Statesman, Yonkers, N.Y., Wednesday, July 18, 1962

ESTATE WILLED TO NIECE HERE
Mildred Galvin of 527 Riverdale Ave. is a beneficiary of the more than $20,000 estate of her aunt, the late Mrs. Katharine Steitz of New York, whose will was filed for probate in Surrogate's Court in Manhattan.

Dated July 21, 1959 the will provides the Yonkers legatee with the entire estate remaining following funeral and administrative expenses.

Mrs. Steitz, widow of August Steitz, died June 2. Actual value of the estate will not be known until an inventory is completed.

____ARTICLE 2______
Herald Statesman, Yonkers, NY, Monday April 3, 1967 (must've taken a long time to settle!!)

Niece Inherits

Mildred Galvin of The Edendale, 123 Valentine Lane, inherits, the $124,000 estate of her aunt, the late Katharine Steitz of New York, according to an inventory filed today by the State Transfer Tax Department

Dated July 21, 1959, a will directs that the entire estate, following funeral and administrative expenses, go to the Yonkers legatee.

Old 01-29-2019, 05:36 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,875,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jommie View Post
I found a couple of articles on a Mildred Galvin in the Yonkers area - has anyone seen these or debunked that this could be the Mildred we are seeking? I cannot find the Aunt referenced in Ancestry. There was a Catherine Fisher who would have been her grand-aunt possibly. May be more info or an obit in Newspapers.com for the 6/4/1962, Daily News of New York but I do not have a subscription.

Herald Statesman, Yonkers, N.Y., Wednesday, July 18, 1962

ESTATE WILLED TO NIECE HERE
Mildred Galvin of 527 Riverdale Ave. is a beneficiary of the more than $20,000 estate of her aunt, the late Mrs. Katharine Steitz of New York, whose will was filed for probate in Surrogate's Court in Manhattan.
Dated July 21, 1959 the will provides the Yonkers legatee with the entire estate remaining following funeral and administrative expenses.
Mrs. Steitz, widow of August Steitz, died June 2. Actual value of the estate will not be known until an inventory is completed.

____ARTICLE 2______
Herald Statesman, Yonkers, NY, Monday April 3, 1967 (must've taken a long time to settle!!)

Niece Inherits
Mildred Galvin of The Edendale, 123 Valentine Lane, inherits, the $124,000 estate of her aunt, the late Katharine Steitz of New York, according to an inventory filed today by the State Transfer Tax Department
Dated July 21, 1959, a will directs that the entire estate, following funeral and administrative expenses, go to the Yonkers legatee.
I saw those as well and guessed they were not the right Mildred. The Op can give their comments on the above Mildred.

Interesting way they spell Katharine. There is a Katharine E. Steitz on Find A Grave but she died in 1927 so that is not the one mentioned in the inheritance notice you have posted.

I also looked for obituaries for the list of those born on the same birth date and posted by reed303. I found about half of them and none fit the dates, etc.

Old 01-29-2019, 07:47 PM

14 posts, read 4,950 times
Of course looking with a fresh set of eyes, I found more details.

There's a death record for Katharina Steitz, age 80, b. 1882, d. June 2, 1962 in Manhattan -- which fits the timeframe of above articles.

Catherine Fisher (Jennie Ney Galvin's aunt) was born 1879, but shows 'abt 1882' in 1910 census.

I am going to guess Katharina/August Steitz were German immigrants and don't tie to the same Galvin family, but still within realm of possibility.

Old 01-30-2019, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
I still think getting Jennie's death records could be remotely useful.
She could have visitors where she was, etc.
If the Op decides to leave that door closed we'll never know.

As far as the Villa the more evidence on it being there as an operating business before 1956 expands the time frame when it existed and with that name. The wider the time frame the more 100's and 100's of people who visited there get included in the wider time frame than 1956-1960.
Going over the family search tree. Attached the record below to William. Says he's widowed when died, so Jennie is definitely deceased by then.

Willi J Galvin
Connecticut Death Index, 1949-2001
Name Willi J Galvin
Event Type Death
Event Date 11 Nov 1966
Event Place Hartford, Hartford, Connecticut
Residence Place Hartford, Hartford, Connecticut
Gender Male
Age 74
Marital Status Widowed
Race White
Birth Year (Estimated) 1892
Certificate Number 21997

I've found one NY connection. The aunt that raised Jennie, her husband Louis Moore was born in NY.

Old 01-30-2019, 03:31 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,875,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Going over the family search tree. Attached the record below to William. Says he's widowed when died, so Jennie is definitely deceased by then.
Name Willi J Galvin
Event Type Death
Event Date 11 Nov 1966
Residence Place Hartford, Hartford, Connecticut
Gender Male
Marital Status Widowed
Yes that is correct as William's obituary back on page 33 shows his wife as predeceasing him.
So there are two females that are lost in time. Jennie and her youngest daughter.

Old 02-13-2019, 07:51 AM

I worked on William J Galvin at family search today. I was contacted by a relative who told me his parents weren't right and they weren't so I fixed them. Some how I had William E Galvin attached to him so that's fixed. We know from his World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918 Birthplace: Waterbury, Connecticut, United States Birth Date: 12 Mar 1892 and according to the 1920 census his parents are both born in Ireland. In order for him to be born in Connecticut, his parents would be there but I'm not seeing a census with him on it before 1910. Someone could order his birth certificate if you're interested in knowing who his parents are and I would be if this was my grand father. I know you want it more about your mom but there's a lot of genealogy we're coming across. Lots of unknowns with this family. Where were they living that they're not on a census from 1880 to 1900? I do wonder if it's NY and I'll be seeing what I can find playing with the search

Here is William E who's parents were born here but their parents are from Ireland. I have to wonder if they're related due to a lot of the same kids names

Old 02-15-2019, 09:51 AM

I was on My Heritage's blog yesterday looking to see if the price was finally posted of what they'll charge for DNA uploads extra tools. Of course it's still not posted but found this...

Free Marriage Records for Valentine’s Day!

Quote:
In honor of Valentine’s Day, we’re providing free access to love-related records in our massive historical records collection during February 10-17, 2019. No Data subscription is required so you may search all U.S. states, European and worldwide collections, totaling 414,486,197 records, for your ancestors’ marriage records!
Search all marriage records on SuperSearch™ for free Not only marriage but divorce records too!

Old 03-04-2019, 11:39 AM

427 posts, read 244,611 times
Hello, Mr Skin,
Hope you doing well. Haven't heard from you for awhile.

Have you been able to make any headway or get any new clues in your search?

Old 03-04-2019, 03:21 PM

196 posts, read 109,863 times
Hello,
My computer was hit with a power surge a few weeks ago. My power supply and Hard drive were affected. Unfortunately for me I had not backed up my stuff. My fault that I lost a lot of photos, documents and Mom search info. Will be backing up stuff from now on. No new clues yet. Just got the computer back. And requested my old hard drive be returned to me so that I may be able at some point to find someone who is able to get the info back off the drive. I will post again if I find any new clues. Within the next 2 weeks I should be hearing back from The Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (NYC) pertaining to my application for a Death Certificate and requested that they search the 1960's time frame as Nannette had indicated that it was not too long after Mildred ceased being her Nanny that Esperanza told her that Mildred was killed in an accident. Will it be closure or more mystery?............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or