U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2019, 07:02 AM

10,666 posts, read 21,336,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Thanks, Roselvr. Re my question about whether they were divorced or not, looks like they really were. Even though no records were found, it would be doubtful that Mr Skin's father would have lied. If he had lied, he risked being found out as a bigamist if Mildred had ever returned.
I doubt Mr Skin's father worried about Mildred coming back. Mildred's generation wasn't like mine where women hired attorneys to fight for their right to see their children. If they were told to leave, they left, never returning to see their kids unless they'd watch them without contacting them which is possible that Mildred did.

I wish I could recall if hub and I had to show our divorce papers when we filled out our marriage license when we went down to Florida to get married in 2001. I thought I had a copy of the application but I'm not seeing it.

Quote:
Re what howard555 says about Esperanza and Nanette not getting along, yes that was one possibility. She could have told her that Mildred was dead just to get her to "shut up." It was mentioned before that Esperanza wasn't a very nice person. She never provided any details either and it would seem that the daughter would have wanted to know.
She could have lied, we don't know. I still think going to the social security office to see if they have her listed but not online would be the easiest way to at least answer the question that way instead of contacting various counties in New York.

Quote:
Mildred would probably have been very distraught by that time--lost her son, divorced, maybe estranged from her family, away from home, all alone, now without a job and probably missing Nanette, poor and trying to live in NY. That's a lot. I hate to think of the possibility of suicide or a mental hospital, but that's a lot for one young woman to bear.

Personally, I prefer the other option, that she re-married and we don't know her married name.
I found a family connection in NY (see below) that Mildred may have stayed with but then again, maybe she didn't. I don't think room and board was as expensive as it is now. Her last paycheck could have been enough to start over somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Going over the family search tree. Attached the record below to William. Says he's widowed when died, so Jennie is definitely deceased by then.

Willi J Galvin
Connecticut Death Index, 1949-2001
Name Willi J Galvin
Event Type Death
Event Date 11 Nov 1966
Event Place Hartford, Hartford, Connecticut
Residence Place Hartford, Hartford, Connecticut
Gender Male
Age 74
Marital Status Widowed
Race White
Birth Year (Estimated) 1892
Certificate Number 21997

I've found one NY connection. The aunt that raised Jennie, her husband Louis Moore was born in NY.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2019, 06:59 PM

19,821 posts, read 18,826,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I doubt Mr Skin's father worried about Mildred coming back. Mildred's generation wasn't like mine where women hired attorneys to fight for their right to see their children. If they were told to leave, they left, never returning to see their kids unless they'd watch them without contacting them which is possible that Mildred did.

I wish I could recall if hub and I had to show our divorce papers when we filled out our marriage license when we went down to Florida to get married in 2001. I thought I had a copy of the application but I'm not seeing it.

She could have lied, we don't know. I still think going to the social security office to see if they have her listed but not online would be the easiest way to at least answer the question that way instead of contacting various counties in New York.

I found a family connection in NY (see below) that Mildred may have stayed with but then again, maybe she didn't. I don't think room and board was as expensive as it is now. Her last paycheck could have been enough to start over somewhere
Roselvr, you've done so much and it's unfortunate that there still isn't much to go on. The SS office sounds like a good idea to me. I didn't realize that they could have records that are not online.

As for a divorce and Mr Skin's father being found to be a bigamist, I was thinking more on the line of Mildred showing up in Waterbury, maybe in church or seeing a friend and being told he had remarried. She could have expressed surprise and have blurted out that they were still married, or someone in her family reporting him as a bigamist when they learned that he re-married. But I don't think there was any such scandal. I think he really did get a divorce., just a hunch though. I can't remember either whether I needed to show divorce papers when I remarried!

I checked out the family connection you found in NYC. Another hunch, as usual, but he was in CT most of his adult life. Sounded pretty settled in Waterbury for life. In those days people came from NYC and got (usually, factory jobs) in places like Waterbury. Sounds like Mildred was really and truly on her own. As you say, she may have had enough money to go elsewhere though.

Old 06-03-2019, 09:26 PM

5,225 posts, read 8,384,895 times
Quote:
Roselvr, you've done so much and it's unfortunate that there still isn't much to go on. The SS office sounds like a good idea to me. I didn't realize that they could have records that are not online.
As an example, after my wife passed in 2004 at age 60, I realized she was not appearing in the SSDI.

As the Transunion, etc credit outfits use the SSDI to remove names from their lists, I was continuing to get junk mail in her name. So I called the SSA and asked why she is not listed. The agent said he could not tell me. He knew, but could not say. I had to send copies of death certs to all the credit outfits to get the junk mail stopped.

Alos,, I personally went to an SSA office to report her death, and applied for and received Survivor's benefits, etc.

To date, she is still not listed. Oh well, our gubmint at work.

Old 06-05-2019, 10:53 AM

10,833 posts, read 14,836,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Skin View Post
The contact of Jennie with SS in 1947 appears to me to be for reason of name change. what I do not understand is why my source listed her entire SS number if she was still alive. Her name was changed to Jane Ney Galvin ss# 042-xx-xxxx (numbers omitted for safety)
Would you have Jennie's correct full name during the entire time frame when she may have been a resident in a N.Y. facility?
Since you have her s.s. number could you provide her birth date? Send by DM if you like.

Last edited by howard555; 06-05-2019 at 11:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or