Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2017, 06:49 AM

14,454 posts, read 20,630,704 times

Advertisements

Is Jennie's death in 1949 a wild guess?
I'm working on Jennie myself and would like to know the thinking that she died in 1949.

Last edited by howard555; 11-27-2017 at 07:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2017, 07:00 AM

197 posts, read 195,786 times
Roselvr, I should be able to get you the info you are looking for on Catherine Beaudoin as I have been in contact with her children the Quinn's. I will either DM you or post in thread ASAP.

Old 11-27-2017, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Skin View Post
Roselvr, I should be able to get you the info you are looking for on Catherine Beaudoin as I have been in contact with her children the Quinn's. I will either DM you or post in thread ASAP.
I have Cathrine's obituary and have had it for over 3 weeks. You want me to post it and all the names it contains?

Old 11-27-2017, 07:39 AM

197 posts, read 195,786 times
Default Catherine's obit

I personally do not want to see the Quinn's bombarded with inquiries. Let me be the one who makes contact with them as they know I am their cousin.

Old 11-27-2017, 07:58 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Here is the comment by historyfan. I'm then quoting Kobber again wondering if the record was recorded wrong as 1947 when it should be 1949?

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
In response to your observation regarding presence of William's wife-
The 1949 Waterbury city directory index has William & wife Jennie living at the 60 Knoll address. This doesn't exactly match the divorce scenario.

The thing that makes Galvins especially difficult-
Waterbury area was an organized Irish immigration area of some sort. So there are a multitude (at least 6 maybe 8) different William Galvins in the New Haven County records with birth years within 6 years of each other.

Kathryn/Katherine Morgan,
Edward identified as his grandmother on his WWII draft record would be William's mother if census info correct. Census indicated William parents born in Ireland, Jennie parents born in CT. Katherine census has born in Ireland. Perhaps Mildred would be mentioned in her obit or will.

The 1940 Waterbury census has Mary, Donald, Edward in same household, single & employed & says all in that same location Cossett Street in 1935.
Mary Galvin 36 assorter, button factory
John Galvin 39 driver, private
Edward Galvin 27 electrician, brass factory
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post
I already mentioned upthread that I found a social security record for a Jane Ney Galvin. This is an index record meaning it has been transcribed by someone from (presumably) an original record. Therefore the person who did the transcription may have mis-read or mis-typed the name Jennie as being Jane.

This is what the record states:

Name: Jane Ney Galvin
(Jane Esther Ney)
Race: White
Birthdate: 14th April 1895
Birthplace: Meriden, NH, Connecticut
Father: John Ney
Mother: Mary Fisher
SSN: 042245214
Notes: Feb 1947: Name listed as Jane Ney Galvin

You should at least try to 'eliminate this person from your enquiries'!

Old 11-27-2017, 08:02 AM

Quote:
I personally do not want to see the Quinn's bombarded with inquiries. Let me be the one who makes contact with them as they know I am their cousin.
I have Catherine's obituary so no need for anyone to look for it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

William's obituary tells us that his wife died before he did in 1966 (and after 1949 per directory). Hopefully she died between 1961 and sometime in 1966 such that her obituary names her daughters.

Last edited by howard555; 11-27-2017 at 08:17 AM..

Old 11-27-2017, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
I have Catherine's obituary so no need for anyone to look for it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

William's obituary tells us that his wife died before he did in 1966 (and after 1949 per directory). Hopefully she died between 1961 and sometime in 1966 such that her obituary names her daughters.
I posted a link to it once or twice, did not want to paste it in because of the living family. I see someone did post it in the 1st 40 or 60 replies, so it's already here.

I will not contact family as Mr Skin is doing that himself. I see he's already been in contact with them so there is no need to do it again. My post was done as I was looking, then I noted I didn't find her. I meant to say I'd ask Mr Skin if he knew where she was buried. I woke up at 4am; haven't been sleeping well so I'm exhausted. My fault.

I have a bunch of posts copied that I want to paste in where Mr Skin goes over what he knows so everyone easily has facts in one post so that we don't have to go searching again.

I do wonder about that record that says 1947 if it's transcribed wrong or not. That really needs checked out. I'm gonna be running errands, hopefully someone can find it for you and Mr Skin while I'm out. I wonder if them being listed together in the directory is a mistake? Newspaper may be the best option if he can't get the info from social security. He may be able to run to his local office to ask.

Last edited by Roselvr; 11-27-2017 at 09:43 AM..

Old 11-27-2017, 09:47 AM

Here is Mr Skins and other posts history facts about Mildred and her family. To go directly to the post, click on the arrow in the quote if you have question if he's talking about Mildred, Jennie or someone else. It's in order oldest to newest at the bottom, wish I pasted it in the opposite way. I didn't think I'd copy this much stuff.

Quote:
Just some additional info. Family was split up in the early 1930's as parents divorced and all children were placed in homes. Mildred definately was around Waterbury in 1947 and 1948. After that I can't say and no one seems to know.
Quote:
The middle name is on my Birth Cert. Only Waterbury Directory that I have found with her listed is the 1948 edition on page 292 listed under my dad's name which was BEAUSOLEIL, Joseph L. followed by (Mildred M) which is how they listed the spouse's name.

I have learned to omit from consideration any with a middle initial other than M or one's whose birth date is not 04/14/1928. Up until this week, when I received a copy of her birth cert. I only knew the year 1928.

I have learned thru research that she may have traveled to Cuba (prior to Castro ) and upon reentering the States Had to fill out a required form which had a matching birth date and a place of Residence as Windham, New York. I am guessing that she was renting, as her name does not show up anywhere that I can find.
Quote:
Yes, this is the family. I have done research on all the siblings and have been in contact with Catherine's children, Marie's children and one of Edwards daughters. Six cousins in total. No one knows where she is.
Quote:
Birth Mother Search Facts and Rumors

1. Mildred May Galvin born in Waterbury, CT on 14 April 1928
is my Birth Mother. Sources: My birth certificate and copy of her
birth certificate. (Fact)
2. William J. Galvin was her father. Jennie E. Ney was her mother.
Sources: Mildred’s birth Cert. And the 1930 census in Waterbury
at 67 Eastwood Ave. (Fact)
3. Mildred’s siblings were: Edward F. Galvin (1919), Donald C.
Galvin (1921), Marie (actually) Jane Marie Galvin (1924), and
Catherine Galvin (1927). (Fact)
4. The Family was no longer at 67 Eastwood Ave. a few years after
the 1930 census according to city directories in the early 1930’s.
One Directory lists that home as vacant. I could not locate them in
the 1940 Census. (Fact)
5. Story is that the parents divorced and the children were all
placed in homes. The oldest boy, Edward ran away and joined the
Army and would never again see his Mom or his sisters . He
did stay in touch with his brother Donald and his Father William.
( side note: all three were electricians at one time or another.) It is
my belief that sisters Catherine and Jane Marie stayed in touch and
visited with their children in tow. My cousins (Jane Marie’s)
children remember going over to Catherine’s and spending time
with their cousins. Unfortunately none of them remember seeing
Mildred. To be continued….
Quote:
The last year that I am aware of is 1948 when I was born. I was living with one of my Aunts on my Dad's side beginning in 1950 when my Dad reentered the Navy for the Korean Conflict. That tells me she was out of our lives sometime before that. Without getting into to many personal details, I have heard she may have moved to New York State . Waterbury could not find a marriage License.

As far as marriage records for Mildred for any time period, I have not found any. Possible marriage date for my Dad (Joseph L. Beausoleil) and Mildred as relayed to me by relatives as Feb. 4, 1947. No idea where or if this actually occurred.
Quote:
There is a record on Ancestry of a Mildred Galvin reentering the country thru port of New York from Havana, Cuba on November 9, 1959 as a US citizen returning and listing her residence as Windham, New York. The birth date matches my Moms exactly. It appears she may have been traveling with two other women who also listed their place of residence as Windham, New York. I have made one attempt today to contact the younger of the two women, left a message, and have not heard back. Not sure if the number was good as of yet. For a small town like Windham, NY what are the odds they were not traveling together? I will continue to pursue this avenue. Could not find a listing for Mildred Galvin in Windham, she might have been a renter or maybe even living with her fellow travelers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
Mildred's father was William Edward Galvin, son of Joseph E & Annie B Galvin--grocers & meat market owners.
Both Annie B & Joseph's parents were born on Ireland. (Their children in 1910 census: Wm E, Mildred's C, Edward, Milton J)

Naugatuck Daily Jan 14, 1960, page 5
Civil suit removed from docket of Superior Court: Mildred Galvin, Naugatuck (CT) appeal from probate the estate of Annie B Galvin. (I speculate this is Annie's daughter, not your Mildred, but her aunt Mildred.)

1960 Obit--William E Galvin
30 April 1960, Bridgeport, CT
Survived by:
son-Wm E Galvin, Jr
daug- Mrs Robert Brophy of Wolcott, CT
daug- Mrs Frank Feroleto (this is Eleanor)
daug- Mrs David Russell, Jr (this is Margaret --Marge)
bro- Edward Galvin
sis- Mildred Galvin
&Eight grandchildren

2006 Obit--Marge Russell (Galvin) Aug 1, 1932- July 39, 2006 Fairfield, CT
bro- William Galvin of Monroe, CT
sis- Maryann Newcomb, Grafton, Vermont
sis- Eleanor Feroleto, Fairfield, CT

Children of William E & Jennie (Ney) Galvin
from 1930 census:
1Edward
2Donald
3Marie
4Catherine
5Mildred

Then, 6Margaret May (Marge) b1932...see below

Naugatuck Daily, p11, June 14, 1957
Engagement announcement for Margaret May Galvin, daughter of William Edward Galvin of Bridgeport and late Mrs Galvin....to marry David Wm Russell, Jr....she granddaughter of Annie B Galvin of Meadow Street and late Joseph E. Galvin. To be married June 29 St Augustine's Cathedral, Bridgeport...
[this is Mary Galvin age 6 living in 1940 census with Annie B age 62, and Mildred 35.]

Extra info:
Edward Galvin born 1919 on WWII draft info gave nearest relative Katherine Morgan as his grandmother. I found her listed as Kathryn Morgan born Ireland age 72, widow in 1940 Waterbury census.

Questions:
How many children were there?

Is Maryann Newcomb the Marie born abt 1924?

Is Eleanor another daughter
or is she Catherine or Marie or even Mildred from 1930 census?

Which daughter is Mrs Robert Brophy of Wolcott in 1960?--it's not Eleanor nor Marge
Quote:
Just a re-cap of who I am looking for. That would be my birth mother...Mildred May Galvin date of birth 14 April 1928. Mildred was born in Waterbury, at St. Mary's Hospital. Her Father was William J. Galvin born in 1896. Her Mother was Jennie E. Ney born about 1898 +/- 2 yrs. The family is listed in the 1930 Census in Waterbury, CT at 67 Eastwood Ave. Listing shows 5 children Edward F., Donald C., Marie, Catherine and Mildred. I already have info on Mildred's siblings. Information is scarce for Mildred. In February of 1947 Mildred may have married my father Joseph L. Beausoleil also born in Waterbury, CT on June 17, 1925. Somehow the 1930 census for Edin Ave. in Waterbury, CT listed my father as Leon E. he was called Leon growing up, but at some point in time his name became Joseph L. Beausoleil (L. being Leon). I was also born at St. Mary's Hospital in Waterbury , CT on July 30, 1948. My birth mother was out of my life within 2 years of my birth. I never knew her. Research shows that she may have spent time during the 1950's in Cuba and or Windham, New York. I have discovered 6 new cousins due to research. Mildred's Brother Donald C. Galvin d.o.b January 1921 married a woman named Antoinette M.(No surname found) research indicates that they had a child or children, but I have not been able to find anywhere what their names may have been so as to try to make contact. Children of Edward, Catherine and Marie have been contacted by me this year. Questions will be accepted as long as they are not deemed too personal. Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
In case you do decide to do a DNA test, it might be helpful to add to your family tree. I know you have already identified your maternal grandparents names and dates, but I thought I'd take a stab at seeing if we could trace their siblings and parents. I guess it is always possible that a cousin of your mother's might have kept in touch with her.

Since you're an excellent researcher yourself, I'm sure you've already found this, but I did spot your grandmother, Jennie Ney, on the 1910 Census.

She was 14 and living with a Louis and Jennie Moore in Waterbury. The Ancestry transcribers appear to have made a mistake in transcribing the listing for Jennie Ney. They transcribed her relationship to the Moores as "boarder" but in looking at the actual written Census document, it appears to me that her relationship is actually daughter. That makes more sense, because a 14 year old probably wouldn't be a "boarder." According to the Census, Louis and Jennie Moore had been married for less than a year (under years married it has 0's in both their columns). Their ages, unfortunately, are not indicated.

But, it would appear that your great-grandmother's name was also Jennie.

Louis' occupation was listed as a cutter in a brass shop. Your great grandmother's occupation was listed as a time keeper for a dress shop. A time keeper, was, I believe similar to a book keeper.

The Census says your great-grandmother was also born in Connecticut. The Census also records both her father and her mother as having been born in Connecticut.

Just another tidbit for your family tree.

Here is the link to the 1910 Census report on Ancestry:

https://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/...=successSource

Louis and Jennie Moore were still alive and living in Waterbury in 1940. They are on the 1940 Census, shown as living on Easton Street in Waterbury. On the 1940 Census, her name is noted as Jennie B. Moore.

Her age is given as 63, so that would put her birth year at approximately 1877. Louis' age is given as 64, putting his birth year at approximately 1876.

In 1910, when we see Jennie, your grandmother, living with them on the Census, your great-grandmother would have been 43 (Louis would have been 44). I'm just noting that since the ages are missing on the Census.

I am also noting the information about Louis because it is often easier to find a man than a woman. Since they obviously were married for at least 20 years, finding out more about Louis will likely give some clues to your great-grandmother's life as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
Donald c Galvin b 1921 died in 1982. Marital status at the time was divorced. The Donald C b 1952? Was probably a son seeing as they were both Donald Clayton Galvin and 1921 Donald died in Hartford.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizNJ View Post
I've been able to eliminate several Mildreds with dob of 4/14/1928 by determining that they
were either not born a Galvin or where the middle name/initial is not a match.

I found a Mildred Cohen, age 89, with dob 4/14/1928 in NYC. But, I have not been able to
determine if she is a Cohen by birth or marriage and there is no middle name/initial mentioned.
There are also no names of relatives or associated people attached to her name. New York, NY
is the only place of residence listed, but not unusual if she's been there a long time.

The only address I was able to find associated with her is 593 Columbus Ave, New York, NY. That
address is for the Goddard Riverside Community Center which provides senior services as well
as housing residences for the elderly, disabled or low income. The website is goddard.org.

I know this is a complete long shot, but maybe the great searchers here, such as Howard555,
RosieSD or historyfan can find additional info.

Last edited by Roselvr; 11-27-2017 at 10:06 AM..

Old 11-27-2017, 10:23 AM

8,390 posts, read 7,637,875 times
Just a quick note on the Social Security record for Jane Ney Galvin. It does NOT list her date of death as 1947.

Here is the exact record as it appears on Ancestry:

Name: Jane Ney Galvin
[Jane Esther Ney]
Race: White
Birth Date: 14 Apr 1895
Birth Place: Meriden N H, Connecticut
Father: John Ney
Mother: Mary Fisher
SSN: 042245214
Notes: Feb 1947: Name listed as JANE NEY GALVIN

So the "note" on the record merely shows that in Feb 1947 her name was recorded as Jane Ney Galvin with Social Security. It doesn't say she died in 1947.

Also, note that this record is NOT from the Social Security death index. It is from this source:

U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2015.
Original data: Social Security Applications and Claims, 1936-2007.

It is my understanding that this database (the "Claims Index") shows records for when people applied to receive social security benefits. These could be disability benefits or social security retirement benefits.

So, if Jane Ney Galvin is the same person as Jennie Ney Galvin (and again, we haven't yet confirmed that in any way), this is not a record of her death. It is a record of her applying for social security benefits.

Old 11-27-2017, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Here is Mr Skins and other posts history facts about Mildred and her family. To go directly to the post, click on the arrow in the quote if you have question if he's talking about Mildred, Jennie or someone else. It's in order oldest to newest at the bottom, wish I pasted it in the opposite way. I didn't think I'd copy this much stuff.
Thanks Roselvr. I never knew of (or noticed) those blue arrows until this very day.
Catherine's obituary is back on comment #10 maybe page 2.
I found it on the internet as well back then and the Op has contacted all these names in that obituary.
I'm trying to work on Jennie's obituary and also the Moore family.
Nothing close to being a warm trail so anyone looking for those can hopefully find it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search