Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2017, 03:22 PM

197 posts, read 195,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I think I'd call the book, "Grasping at Straws." Mildred really does seem to have flown beneath our radar.

From Northofhere:

She is survived by her daughters, Eileen Quinn Young, of Fletcher, N.C., and Noreen Quinn, of Waterbury; a son, Robert Quinn, of Middlebury; she also is survived by six grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren; a sister, Jane Marie Bell, lives in Waterbury

She=Mildred's sister, Catherine died in Meriden CT in 2009. No mention of Mildred in her obituary. Does that mean dead or not known or what?

From historyfan

Naugatuck Daily, p11, June 14, 1957
Engagement announcement for Margaret May Galvin, daughter of William Edward Galvin of Bridgeport and late Mrs Galvin....to marry David Wm Russell, Jr....she granddaughter of Annie B Galvin of Meadow Street and late Joseph E. Galvin. To be married June 29 St Augustine's Cathedral, Bridgeport...

Would the newspaper archives have a write up about the wedding that might mention the guests? You would think Mildred would have attended her own sister's wedding. They were very close in age. We know that she was still alive in 1957.

From historyfan:

obit (in Naugatuck Daily?) April 30, 1960 Bridgeport CT

1960 Obit--William E Galvin
30 April 1960, Bridgeport, CT

Mildred's grandfather. Did she know about his death and did she come back for his funeral?
We can't know. It looks as though Mildred had several reasons to return to CT but we don't know if she ever did. Could she also have tried to see Mr Skin but was not allowed. Were her siblings also told that they could not see him? Was it all so painful to Mildred that she never came back?

Hard thing is that she came from a broken up family--so maybe didn't really have the close family ties that we would normally expect. Also, probably wasn't raised with much money. A sad situation. But in that light, we can understand how she would have wanted a family and some stability in her own life. And, we can see that she knows very well that it takes money to raise children, and maybe that was the reason she was able to part with Mr Skin when he was a baby. She probably wanted to spare him from the childhood misery that she had endured.
In response to the first part about Catherine's Obit. I have been in touch with all three children mentioned with the last name Quinn. Eileen and Noreen provided me with the only two pictures that I have of my Mom Mildred. I also used that obit to contact Mildred's only surviving sibling, Unfortunately they said they had not seen nor heard from Mildred in 40 or 50 years. Two more cousins found from this obit.

I do not believe the Galvins mentioned in this post are in any way related to Mildred. Mildred's father was William J. Galvin. Also I have never come across a Bridgeport connection in all research done on William J. Galvin. Mainly Waterbury and Hartford or East Hartford.

It is my belief that the past and present generations of Galvins and other associated Surnames are not close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2017, 05:52 PM

14,473 posts, read 20,652,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Skin View Post

I do not believe the Galvins mentioned in this post are in any way related to Mildred. Mildred's father was William J. Galvin. Also I have never come across a Bridgeport connection in all research done on William J. Galvin. Mainly Waterbury and Hartford or East Hartford.
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
Obituary for William J. Galvin (died 1966) age 74 of #73 Buckingham St. died Friday at his home. Born in Waterbury and lived in Hartford for many years. Husband of the late Jennie Ney Galvin, William was a member of the IBEW local and was employed as an electrician. He leaves two sons, Donald C. (Hartford) and Edward C. (East Hartford) and three daughters out of town. Dillon Funeral Home and burial at Northwood Cemetery in Wilson.

So the obituary gives the correct spelling of Jennie's middle name and she is named as Jennie. It does tell us that Jennie died before he did. It advances things to 1966 such that as far as the person who wrote the obituary knew all three of his daughters were still living.

This was posted back on page 15. The text not the actual. Also Jennie is not buried in that cemetery/

Last edited by howard555; 12-13-2017 at 06:36 PM..

Old 12-13-2017, 06:52 PM

Quote:
This was posted back on page 15. The text not the actual. Also Jennie is not buried in that cemetery/
Howard, Thanks for posting the actual obit. This is the first time seeing it in that format. Probably nothing, but they appear to have spelled Jennie's name incorrectly. The way I just spelled it is how it is spelled on my Mom's birth cert.

Also, When I got the DNA results from Ancestry.com I started out with 843 cousins and now it has climbed to 850. This tells me that as new DNA results come in the status is updated. There is now hope, slim yes, but hope that a half-brother or half-sister may be added at some point. You have to know that I will be all over that lead if it ever presents itself.

Old 12-13-2017, 07:05 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
^^^Many thanks for that correction, howard555. The "three daughters out of town."

How vague. And we don't know what the writer meant by that. Did he know? Or did he just assume that there were still three daughters. Why would he say, "out of town?" Because he knew where two of them lived and it would have sounded awkward if he listed the locations for two but left the third daughter's location out? Or maybe he didn't know where any of them lived or knew where one of them lived. Did they attend the funeral? It was their own father. It was 1966. Do funeral homes keep records that far back?

Old 12-13-2017, 07:44 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,531,949 times
Yes, they seem to keep them as long as the business exists.

I have found copies of very old ones in historical archives in libraries & state historical societies. They can be very helpful. As can the burial records from the cemetery. And sometimes the city or county has a separate burial file.

It sometimes pays to look for other obits in different newspapers or different editions of the same paper. I have found long and short versions of the same obit. As well as,obituaries placed in papers where the survivors lived.

Last edited by historyfan; 12-13-2017 at 07:56 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 12-13-2017, 11:08 PM

Quote:
I just noticed another error in the text of the obit for William. Listed the two sons, and Edward's middle initial should be "F" not "C" as his middle name was Francis. Also according to Edward's daughter, her father never saw his Mother or Sisters again, that was after the family was split up and he ran away and joined the Army. I do know from talking to James Galvin (Donald's Son) that the two boys Donald and Edward did hang out with their Dad William quite often and swap War stories. It is my belief that they did not know where their sisters were. This would explain the passing reference to the Daughters in the obituary.

Old 12-14-2017, 11:22 AM

And the Plot thickens, as I have heard back from Connecticut Vital Records regarding my request for a Certified Copy of Marriage Records for Joseph Leon Beausoleil and Mildred May Galvin. This is an excerpt of that letter:

"Thank you for your recent request for a vital record. Please read the important information below regarding your request.
We cannot provide you with the information/record you requested for the reason specified below:

We searched for the requested record from the year 1897 to the present and we did not find a record that matches the information you provided.

Well, isn't that special.

Old 12-14-2017, 12:16 PM

14,473 posts, read 20,652,743 times
I have searched the database for the State of CT. death records.

There is no William (the father) dated 1966. But the index is 1897 to 1966 to possibly explain why he is not listed.

There are no names between Jane and Jeremiah out of 347 Galvin.

There are over 1.3 million listings if Jennie remarried and anyone finds her married name. Her obituary might very well hold some clue.

No Mildred but there is a Mildr died May 5, 1962 Naugatuck, CT.

I see a few other first names that have been abbreviated it seems. Maybe Mildr is a Mildred Galvin (d 1962).
-------------------------------------------
From another source there is a Mildred Galvin died 1982 in Danbury and another one died 1988 in Bristol.

Old 12-14-2017, 01:15 PM

Quote:
I have searched the database for the State of CT. death records.

There is no William (the father) dated 1966. But the index is 1897 to 1966 to possibly explain why he is not listed.

There are no names between Jane and Jeremiah out of 347 Galvin.

There are over 1.3 million listings if Jennie remarried and anyone finds her married name. Her obituary might very well hold some clue.

No Mildred but there is a Mildr died May 5, 1962 Naugatuck, CT.

I see a few other first names that have been abbreviated it seems. Maybe Mildr is a Mildred Galvin (d 1962).
-------------------------------------------
From another source there is a Mildred Galvin died 1982 in Danbury and another one died 1988 in Bristol.

I believe the Mildred that died in Danbury is the same one traveling with a Daniel Galvin in 1955 on the 'Queen of Bermuda" Oceanliner. Their residence is in Danbury and that Mildred I believe was a Galvin thru marriage. Also found that she was born in Danbury, CT and not in Waterbury, CT.

I believe the one from Bristol is a Mildred C. Galvin, whose husband also has the name Daniel.

James Galvin (Donald's son) finally called me back earlier today. He has no idea where his Grandmother (Jennie) is buried, in fact he did not even know her name until I told him. He is going to look into it though. I am not holding my breath on this one. James admitted that their family has never been close.

Old 12-14-2017, 03:06 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Skin View Post
And the Plot thickens, as I have heard back from Connecticut Vital Records regarding my request for a Certified Copy of Marriage Records for Joseph Leon Beausoleil and Mildred May Galvin. This is an excerpt of that letter:

"Thank you for your recent request for a vital record. Please read the important information below regarding your request.
We cannot provide you with the information/record you requested for the reason specified below:

We searched for the requested record from the year 1897 to the present and we did not find a record that matches the information you provided.

Well, isn't that special.
Well, at least it apparently proves what you and some here seem to have suspected: that they were never married in the first place. So there will be no annulment and no divorce either. Maybe they had planned to get married but never got around to it for some reason.

I wonder if Nanette knows when Mildred first came into her life. It would make sense that Mildred was her nanny from when she was a child, not that she started being her nanny when Nanette was a teenager. But that would only account for the first block of time. It's hard to find any clues as to what happened to her after she left Nanette and Esperanza. Maybe different versions of obituaries from different newspapers?
Also the funeral home looks like it's still in business with a slight name change. Says it's been family owned since 1880. They might have records.

Dillon-Baxter Funeral Home : Wethersfield, Connecticut (CT)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search