Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2017, 11:19 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,524,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
How would you go about getting hold of those court records, historyfan? Would the child of one of the children involved be granted access to them?

States have different public access laws regarding court records. Some follow the 75 years release to public that federal records follow. I am not familiar with researching in Connecticut.

In general if the records were sealed, as they are in cases like adoptions, a judge would have to open them following a request by a descendent.

However, this seems more like something that would be public record or at least part of it would be public. Also if either parent was involuntarily committed to an asylum there should be a court order for that.

New Haven County courthouse is where to start.
I would call the clerk of court and ask for advice on what court (family court perhaps) to look for William & Jennie Galvin's children placed (& perhaps relinquished) between 1930 and 1940 in that county.

Courthouse record research tends to be paid research done by a local researcher (unless there happens to be a volunteer with random acts of genealogical kindness for court house records in New Haven County).
If Mr Skin goes that route, a search for probate records of William Galvin should also be on the list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2017, 06:00 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
States have different public access laws regarding court records. Some follow the 75 years release to public that federal records follow. I am not familiar with researching in Connecticut.

In general if the records were sealed, as they are in cases like adoptions, a judge would have to open them following a request by a descendent.

However, this seems more like something that would be public record or at least part of it would be public. Also if either parent was involuntarily committed to an asylum there should be a court order for that.

New Haven County courthouse is where to start.
I would call the clerk of court and ask for advice on what court (family court perhaps) to look for William & Jennie Galvin's children placed (& perhaps relinquished) between 1930 and 1940 in that county.

Courthouse record research tends to be paid research done by a local researcher (unless there happens to be a volunteer with random acts of genealogical kindness for court house records in New Haven County).
If Mr Skin goes that route, a search for probate records of William Galvin should also be on the list.
Here is what I could find about freedom of info act in CT.

Connecticut Freedom of Information Act

Freedom of Information Commission
Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) Requests
Connecticut Sample FOIA Request

Old 12-31-2017, 06:55 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Just a quick note on the Social Security record for Jane Ney Galvin. It does NOT list her date of death as 1947.

Here is the exact record as it appears on Ancestry:

Name: Jane Ney Galvin
[Jane Esther Ney]
Race: White
Birth Date: 14 Apr 1895
Birth Place: Meriden N H, Connecticut
Father: John Ney
Mother: Mary Fisher
SSN: 042245214
Notes: Feb 1947: Name listed as JANE NEY GALVIN

So the "note" on the record merely shows that in Feb 1947 her name was recorded as Jane Ney Galvin with Social Security. It doesn't say she died in 1947.

Also, note that this record is NOT from the Social Security death index. It is from this source:

U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2015.
Original data: Social Security Applications and Claims, 1936-2007.

It is my understanding that this database (the "Claims Index") shows records for when people applied to receive social security benefits. These could be disability benefits or social security retirement benefits.

So, if Jane Ney Galvin is the same person as Jennie Ney Galvin (and again, we haven't yet confirmed that in any way), this is not a record of her death. It is a record of her applying for social security benefits.
Bumping this. I wonder if she was admitted to a hospital in February 1947?

Old 12-31-2017, 02:54 PM

Additional items to help establish whereabouts to those keeping score---

1917, June 5 WWI draft
William lived at 330 E Main St, Waterbury. Born at Waterbury. Married, claimed wife as dependent, electrician at Waterbury Farrell Foundry. Claimed exemption from service. Prior military. 2 years CT National Guard, private in Infantry...on description -- disability preventing service--rupture.

William Galvin was living in Hartford CT for the WWII "old men's" draft at 28 Spring St. He said he was born in Waterbury. Person & address for who will always know his whereabouts only has address but no name--- 192 Grand St, Waterbury CT.
Employer- Stone & Webster 36 Pearl St, Hartford CT.
5'7 1/2" 148 lbs, scar on chin & left arm.

Interestingly there was a William Galvin in Rikers Island in 1940 census.

I looked on both Grand St in Waterbury & Spring St in Hartford in 1940 census by street index, but did not find anything helpful. But I will search in another manner.

Old 01-01-2018, 01:14 AM

8,390 posts, read 7,637,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Bumping this. I wonder if she was admitted to a hospital in February 1947?
That's an interesting idea. It *could* also just be a simple name change or something similar. The Social Security record for her on Ancestry is NOT a death record (or at least not the typical death record).

There is also another SS record for her and William that seems to pertain to Edward. It could just be an application for Edward's SS number; I'm not sure. Nothing shows up for any of the other kids.

Here is that record, in case others have ideas:

Name: Edward Francis Galvin
[Edward F Galvin]
Race: White
Birth Date: 27 Feb 1918
Birth Place: Waterbury, Connecticut
Death Date: 15 Nov 2001
Father: William J Galvin
Mother: Jennie Ney
SSN: 042035442
Notes: Nov 1936: Name listed as EDWARD FRANCIS GALVIN; 27 Nov 2001: Name listed as EDWARD F GALVIN

Source:
Ancestry.com. U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2015.

Original data: Social Security Applications and Claims, 1936-2007.

Old 01-01-2018, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
Additional items to help establish whereabouts to those keeping score---

1917, June 5 WWI draft
William lived at 330 E Main St, Waterbury. Born at Waterbury. Married, claimed wife as dependent, electrician at Waterbury Farrell Foundry. Claimed exemption from service. Prior military. 2 years CT National Guard, private in Infantry...on description -- disability preventing service--rupture.

William Galvin was living in Hartford CT for the WWII "old men's" draft at 28 Spring St. He said he was born in Waterbury. Person & address for who will always know his whereabouts only has address but no name--- 192 Grand St, Waterbury CT.
Employer- Stone & Webster 36 Pearl St, Hartford CT.
5'7 1/2" 148 lbs, scar on chin & left arm.

Interestingly there was a William Galvin in Rikers Island in 1940 census.

I looked on both Grand St in Waterbury & Spring St in Hartford in 1940 census by street index, but did not find anything helpful. But I will search in another manner.
Good sleuthing, historyfan, especially that 1942 record. Since Jennie's name isn't listed, perhaps we can assume they were not living together at that point.

It just occurred to me that his service in the National Guard also may explain the gap between when he and Jennie got married and had Edward, their oldest child.

It is funny how seeing someone else post information you've looked at can suddenly cause an "ah ha!" moment like that.

I do think that we probably should start looking beyond Connecticut for leads. For instance, that Rikers island William. And, also the Mildred Galvin I found getting married in Massachusetts in the 1960s that I haven't yet been able to rule in or out as Mr Skin's mother. I'll take another look at that in the new year.

Happy 2018, historyfan!

Old 01-01-2018, 02:13 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
I'd never heard of Rikers Island, turns out it's a jail.

Rikers Island timeline: jail

We don't know if this is the same William.

I'll stay tuned for any more information on the Mildred who married in Massachusetts. Don't we all wish this could be her!

Old 01-01-2018, 08:26 AM

14,450 posts, read 20,630,704 times
I thought it had already been determined via the 1940 Census that Jennie did not live in the household?

Old 01-01-2018, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
I thought it had already been determined via the 1940 Census that Jennie did not live in the household?
Well, no one has found a definite listing for either Jennie OR William on the 1940 Census, so we also don't know for sure whether they were living in the same house or not.

All we know is that by 1940 all of the kids were not living with them. But that doesn't mean that Jennie and William weren't living together then.

So anything we can find to fill in the blanks and definitively show when they were/were not living together helps, I suppose.

Old 01-01-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Good sleuthing, historyfan, especially that 1942 record. Since Jennie's name isn't listed, perhaps we can assume they were not living together at that point.

It just occurred to me that his service in the National Guard also may explain the gap between when he and Jennie got married and had Edward, their oldest child.

It is funny how seeing someone else post information you've looked at can suddenly cause an "ah ha!" moment like that.

I do think that we probably should start looking beyond Connecticut for leads. For instance, that Rikers island William. And, also the Mildred Galvin I found getting married in Massachusetts in the 1960s that I haven't yet been able to rule in or out as Mr Skin's mother. I'll take another look at that in the new year.

Happy 2018, historyfan!
Happy New Year to you!

Unfortunately the 1942 draft record did not have a category line for either married or dependents. It was strictly a manpower available military census.

National Guard service may have been similar to today with weekend drill duties---not a daily commitment, so regular job would still be held.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search