Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 07:10 PM

197 posts, read 195,881 times

Advertisements

My birth mother's name is Mildred May Galvin born in Waterbury Ct. She would be 89 years old if still living. She gave birth to me in 1948 in Waterbury, CT. I do not remember anything about her as she was out of my life by the time I was two years old. I have heard that she may have run off to New York State. If she married and took on her husbands name I may never find her. If you know a woman named Mildred May about 89 years old and from Connecticut originally I would appreciate you posting any leads I might use. My Dad passed away and never told me anything about her. Thanks

Last edited by katzenfreund; 08-16-2018 at 07:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2017, 08:54 AM

14,470 posts, read 20,648,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Skin View Post
If she married and took on her husbands name I may never find her.
That is not anywhere close to being a dead end and in the coming days you may find out right here on the forum. Married names are helpful of course but there are too many other ways.

I do hope she is alive and well.

Old 10-25-2017, 09:15 AM

1,724 posts, read 2,493,257 times
This one is 89 yrs old that you can try.

Name Mildred M Galvin
Physical Address 4806 Spring Side Dr
New Port Richey, FL 34653-6745
Maps & Directions
Phone (727) 372-1446
Metro Area Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, FL
County Pasco
Gender Female
Length of Residency 6 to 9 Years
Age 89

Old 10-25-2017, 12:13 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,644,416 times
If Mr. Bill's lead doesn't pan out, I have found what appears to be your mother in the 1930 census. If this is the correct family, knowing their names, as well as those of your grandparents may be helpful in the search.

Mildred Galvin

Birth Year: abt 1928
Race: White
Birthplace: Connecticut
Marital Status: Single
Relation to Head of House: Daughter
Home in 1930: Waterbury, New Haven, Connecticut, USA

:
Name Age
William Galvin 34 (this may be your grandfather)
Jennie Galvin 34 (this may be your grandmother)
Edward Galvin 12 (may be your uncle)
Donald Galvin 9 (may be your uncle)
Marie Galvin 6 (may be your aunt)
Catherine Galvin 3 (may be your aunt)
Mildred Galvin 2 (may be your mother) Census confirms she was born in CT.

Do any of these names ring a bell with you?

Last edited by RosieSD; 10-25-2017 at 12:35 PM..

Old 10-25-2017, 12:23 PM

Also, are you positive about the middle name? Does the middle name come from your birth certificate or another source?

I ask because the city directories for Waterbury, CT between 1946 and 1955 only show a Mildred K. Galvin but not a Mildred M. Galvin living in Waterbury.

The Mildred Galvin in the directories is single during this time period. Last record for her in the directory is 1955. That may mean she moved or even was married about that time.

It's possible, of course, that there was another Mildred Galvin living in Waterbury at the time you were born.

This may seem like a round about way to go about things but confirming what you do know about where she was in 1947 is an important first step.

Last edited by RosieSD; 10-25-2017 at 12:38 PM..

Old 10-25-2017, 12:30 PM

14,470 posts, read 20,648,603 times
Quote:
If she married and took on her husbands name I may never find her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
That is not anywhere close to being a dead end and in the coming days you may find out right here on the forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBillM View Post
This one is 89 yrs old that you can try.
Name Mildred M Galvin
Physical Address 4806 Spring Side Dr
New Port Richey, FL 34653-6745
Maps & Directions
Phone (727) 372-1446
Metro Area Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, FL
County Pasco
Gender Female
Length of Residency 6 to 9 Years
Age 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
If Mr. Bill's lead doesn't pan out, I have found what appears to be your mother in the 1930 census. She had siblings, and knowing their names, as well as those of your grandparents may be helpful in the search.

Mildred Galvin
Birth Year: abt 1928
Race: White
Birthplace: Connecticut
Marital Status: Single
Relation to Head of House: Daughter
Home in 1930: Waterbury, New Haven, Connecticut, USA
:
Name Age
William Galvin 34 (this may be your grandfather)
Jennie Galvin 34 (this may be your grandmother)
Edward Galvin 12 (may be your uncle)
Donald Galvin 9 (may be your uncle)
Marie Galvin 6 (may be your aunt)
Catherine Galvin 3 (may be your aunt)
Mildred Galvin 2 (may be your mother)
Ooops I was wrong. I said days and should have said hours.

Old 10-26-2017, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
Ooops I was wrong. I said days and should have said hours.
Hopefully, she returns and lets me know about the middle name. I don't want to spend more time on this until I know that I am tracking down the right person and family.

If she has her birth certificate that would be extremely helpful because it may show her mother's address, so we could compare it to the one that the Mildred Galvin lived at from 1945 until at least 1955. Knowing the right initial might also help us track down any marriage records.

I have not been able to find a Mildred May or a Mildred M. living in Waterbury at that time. Only a Mildred K. (there is a Mildred C. living in the next town over, but I'm staying focused on Waterbury for now).

There are about six or seven Galvins listed in Waterbury in the late 1940s to early 50s. Several of them live in the same houses or in adjoining houses. The Mildred K. for instance, lives with an Anna Galvin at 222 Meadows. Anna eventually moved to New York (she's listed in a later directory as "removed to NY") but Mildred K. remains living in Waterbury at 222 Meadows for at least a few years after that.

But the initial "K" means that this may not be the right Mildred at all.

So, whatever information the poster might have, especially from her birth certificate, if it is available, might be very important to sorting everything out and finding where her mother is today.

Last edited by RosieSD; 10-26-2017 at 10:17 AM..

Old 10-26-2017, 10:17 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,696,132 times
Why'd you wait so long to try and find her?
At her advanced age, 89 per you, do you think she can handle the stress /sorrow/sadness of meeting you?
Good luck though

Old 10-26-2017, 11:38 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,431,190 times
Quote:
My birth mother's name is Mildred May Galvin born in Waterbury Ct. She would be 89 years old if still living. She gave birth to me in 1948 in Waterbury, CT. I do not remember anything about her as she was out of my life by the time I was two years old. I have heard that she may have run off to New York State. If she married and took on her husbands name I may never find her. If you know a woman named Mildred May about 89 years old and from Connecticut originally I would appreciate you posting any leads I might use. My Dad passed away and never told me anything about her. Thanks
I found the obituary of her sister Catherine

MERIDEN - Catherine (Galvin)(Quinn) Beaudoin, widow of Clifford Beaudoin, died on Tuesday, June 9, 2009, at the Meriden Center after a brief illness.

She was born in Waterbury on Sept. 11, 1926, daughter of William and Jennie Galvin. She graduated from Crosby High School and was retired from the Newington Veterans' Hospital.

She is survived by her daughters, Eileen Quinn Young, of Fletcher, N.C., and Noreen Quinn, of Waterbury; a son, Robert Quinn, of Middlebury; she also is survived by six grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren; a sister, Jane Marie Bell, lives in Waterbury

Contacting relatives of your mother may help.

Old 10-26-2017, 01:01 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,431,190 times
And here is a brother

Edward Francis Galvin, of Vernon, died unexpectedly Thursday, (November 15, 2001) at his home. Born February 27, 1919 in Waterbury, he was a resident of Vernon for the past 20 years. He was predeceased by Jacqueline Galvin, his wife of 51 years. Prior to his retirement, he was employed as an electrician by Local Union IBEW #35. Edward was a highly decorated World War II veteran of the 25th Infantry Regiment. He was stationed at Pearl Harbor when it was attacked on Dec. 7, 1941 and, during the next four years, he served his country with honor and pride. He was awarded the Bronze Star and the Purple Heart for acts of valor during the Guadalcanal and Philippine Campaigns. Following his tour of active duty, he owned and operated many small restaurants, where he was known for his home-made pizza. He is survived by his three daughters, Roberta Treichel and her husband, David of Wethersfield, Renee Galvin of Minneapolis, MN, and Roxann Robinson and her husband, Gary of East Hartford. He also leaves to mourn his passing many grandchildren; great grandchildren; friends, neighbors, relatives, and old army buddies who will miss his many stories and jokes. Eddie will be remembered as a man of quiet, unassuming dignity, who always had a smile on his face; and that's just the way he would have wanted it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search