Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2018, 04:47 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,529,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ficconaso View Post
I found this 2013 obit for a Mildred Galvin's spouse. Perhaps same person? I am your cousin William J. Galvin's wife. I have other info for you if you want to contact me @ agalvin9584@sbcglobal.net.

NewLawrence J. Sherman - Ohio
Contribution
(View posts)
Posted: 19 Jan 2013 09:04AM
Classification: Obituary
MANSFIELD: Lawrence J. Sherman, 81, of Mansfield, Ohio passed away Friday morning, January 18, 2013 in Mansfield MedCentral Hospital following a brief illness.

Lawrence was born in Mt. Gilead, Ohio the only child of John and Pansy (Bostic) Sherman and attended Lexington Schools.

On October 12, 1953 he married Mildred Galvin.

In 1956 Lawrence founded Sherman Transmission, Inc. where he worked as owner and operator for over 30 years. Lawrence was a member of First Alliance Church.

Along with his loving wife of 59 years Mildred Sherman, he is survived by his son Lawrence R. (Bonnie) Sherman of Mt. Vernon, Ohio, daughter Sue C. (Marion) Ely of Hayesville, son Richard J. Sherman of Columbus, OH; step daughters Patricia J. Long of Akron, and Marilyn J. (Dr. Stephen) Walker of Lexington, OH; eight grandchildren; 11 great grandchildren.

Lawrence was preceded in death by his parents John and Pansy Sherman

The family will receive friends Sunday, January 20, 2012 from 2-4 pm in the Lexington Avenue Snyder Funeral home where funeral services will be Monday at 1 pm. Pastor James Cheatham will officiate.
Burial will follow in Mansfield Memorial Park.

In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions to First Alliance Church may be made through the funeral home.

Online condolences to the family may be made by visiting:

Snyder Funeral Homes | Serving Central Ohio Since 1922

Morrow
Richland

I believe Mildred Sherman in above obit is not the Mildred Galvin of OP's because of the timeline previously established. The last known Mildred document was from November 1959 return from Cuba trip with Nanette.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2018, 01:11 PM

859 posts, read 705,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I still like the idea of going to the social security office to check in person about Mildred and Jennie.

I hope I can remember everything I want to say. Lots of great thoughts you have; I'm glad you took the time to read whatever you did and reply.

You brought over about finding Galvins in the New York Death index from 1960 thru 1965 on Ancestry.com which is a really good idea to go back to that info. I do not have a paid account so can not sift thru it. I also like what you said about searching for her with both names, her married and maiden. Good point asking were they really divorced because we really do not know if it was a legal divroce because as you say, was his father able to find her to divorce her?
In a looong thread such as this one, when I read I put a reference to the points I stopped on it, such as page No, without writing anything.
When I get back to the page, the thing that caught my attention at the first time will grab my attention in the second time and in the third time and so on.
Also, you can put headlines or quote to remember what you want to say, all the ideas are connected at the end.

In related with his parents :
There are 2 cases:
1- They decided to get divorce and made it formally by finishing divorce procedures, then everyone went his way. Even custody, I can assume that (Maybe) both agreed on it without needing a court or any visitations.

2- The mother left home without getting divorce and never got back.

In a case that he didn't know anything about their divorce story and didn't find any divorce records or even procedures could prove their divorce, and the statement mentioned in his father cert for the "Second Marriage" is not enough to prove their divorce, the second one would be possible (possible not certain.) So, he needs to know the answer of the questions above.
However, if he didn't find anything about their divorce BUT there is someone trusted emphasized to him that his parents did get divorced officially in the date, month, year. (not necessarily the exact date, even approximately) then, he can take it for sure relatively even if he doesn't find any papers could prove it; he can suppose that maybe for technical reasons, for instance, they couldn't be able to find/recover any divorce records.

Since he doesn't know or not sure (by papers or even a witness), he needs to use both names before & after marriage in searching for her.

But the questions I wondered about in my previous post are STILL important to know the answer of it and this is supposed not to be difficult. All what he needs is to ask/inquire _in general_ about such a situation from the official sides, and when he ask, he needs to ask ACCORDING TO THE CRITERIA at THEIR TIME NOT THIS TIME because laws could change/update; what was acceptable at that time may not be acceptable in this time and vice versa.

The benefit of knowing that his parents were not officially divorced, for instance, is 3 things;he can suppose or rather conclude that his mother:

1- Never remarried after his father.
2- If she never remarried, then don't expect to find half brothers/sisters from your mom's side.
3-

In related with his mother's name:

In this topic it's mentioned that a girl when she get married, her name will be changed. I don't know this is obligated or optional.
1- In a case that this is obligated so, we can know for certain that his mother's name definitely changed because her marriage to his father was proved. ( The default case here will be changed)

2-In a case that this is optional; there will be 2 cases:

* His mother never changed her name officially after marriage; so, she still use the same name after divorce.
* His mother COULD/MIGHT change her name after marrage; so, after she got a divorce, we will have 2 cases:

* She turned back officially to the previous name before marriage. (But this case is UNCOMMON according to what mentioned in this thread)
* She didn't get back to the previous name officially; so she still use her name after marriage BUT, in this case (she might use both names). (I suppose the possibility of this depending on given info, NOT FOR CERTAIN)

Overall, If changing names for girls were optional, then I think it's OK to go to the common situation, (What people usually do.) In this thread, I found them speak a lot about ladies who have the same familly name like "galvin" by marriage, so it seems that changing names for girls after marriage are a commn thing. If so, he can suppose that his mom was most likely changed her name after marriage, but did she get back OFFICIALLY to the previous name after divorce or not?

It's not a common thing; plus, he doesn't know for sure and even doesn't find divorce records; so we will reach to the same result; use both names.
(Expanding his search is better than to be limited with just one name that has some wonderings about).

Why makes him believe/think that his mom was just using her name "Mildred May Galvin" at that time?
Depending on what I understood, it's just because of 1 thing. When she came back from Cupa, she filled a form and she used that name; she used it in official things. He has totaly right to think in this way. It's such an evidence, I agree!
But I see that he forgot that he didn't find a passport number for his mother in those papers, although he stick with using one name.

In anyway, he has an accurate date of birth to his mom which he also knows that she used it accurately. So I don't find a problem to expand his searching by using both names since changing family names are possible for ladies, if he find someone with the same info, he can investigate later to make sure whether she is or another one. Even if he tend to believe that she might pass away during that period of times, at least, to know where she was buried.

I wonder if he's never found anything prove she is alive or dead, has he ever thought of reporting his mother as a missing young lady (according to that time) and let the year approximately 1959. The period her news was cut.

Old 12-20-2018, 10:27 AM

14,466 posts, read 20,644,378 times
I won't quote the entire comment made by Authentic Bird.
From what we know is that no one has any evidence that the Op's mother was alive or deceased after about 1961-1962. Contact with those on his grandfather's side gave no clues. Even an obituary that mentioned all the daughters. And per that obituary Mildred was not the only daughter whose whereabouts are, and were, unknown. If the person who wrote the obituary did have knowledge about their female siblings, then for some reason they decided to only mention locations of the male survivors.

Contact with a close teen friend of Mildred from the late 1950's only mentions a possible auto accident.

Also we strongly believe, as Roselvr and others have stated, that there may have been some unusual connection (between the persons who traveled to Cuba) and Cuban citizens who may have had high levels of authority such that the return trip could occur. Upon return and in the months to follow, that is where the three persons went separate ways. Mildred to New York City, and the other two to CT. And the latter two did not have a good relationship and thus the mother did not know anything about her friend Mildred and if she did she took it to her grave.

Old 12-20-2018, 11:09 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
Authentic Bird is saying Mr Skin needs to search using both Mildred Galvin and her married name because there is no proof they're actually divorced even though the document said Galvin

Old 12-20-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Authentic Bird is saying Mr Skin needs to search using both Mildred Galvin and her married name because there is no proof they're actually divorced even though the document said Galvin

Yes I agree.

Also not all persons end up on the s.s. death index. And if by chance someone died in Cuba 40+ years ago record keeping there might have been at a very low level of accuracy if at all. Mildred may have / could have left NYC for parts unknown.

Old 12-20-2018, 12:36 PM

The last document of whereabouts posted about on this forum was 1959 Mildred Galvin arrival in NYC from Cuba.

Nanette's nanny/companion was Mildred. She told OP that when she was young adult in 1960s her mother told her that Mildred had died.
Unless there is reason Nanette believes her mother lied, then very likely Mildred died in 1960s.
If no one claimed a social security benefit, that could explain why Mildred does not show in the online social security death index. I do not recall if OP requested information from the Social Security Administration.
If Mildred died in the US, her name should be in whichever state's death record archive she died in. She would not have died as a Jane Doe, if Nanette's mother heard she'd died.
All bets are off what happened to her if the Cuba trip-- after Castro revolution-- was made due to Nanette's mother & Mildred being involved in anything nefarious. American tourists were no longer going back & forth to Cuba, so to me it is rest of the story territory.

Old 12-21-2018, 02:11 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,677,767 times
I agree with the above. My best bet is that Mildred died either in the NYC accident that Nannette was told about but I don't know why the death wouldn't be listed in NY in either her maiden name or her married name.

Second guess is that she moved out of state, remarried or not.

I think the Cuba thing is like a red herring. They went to Cuba to try to plead for the finances to keep the resort going. Looks like that attempt failed and so did the business. Few, if any, Americans would have stayed in Castro's Cuba.

Last edited by in_newengland; 12-21-2018 at 04:56 PM..

Old 12-21-2018, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I agree with the above. My best bet is that Mildred died either in the NYC accident that Nannette was told about but I don't know why the death wouldn't be listed in NY in either her maiden name or her married name.

I think the Cuba thing is like a red herring. They went to Cuba to try to plead for the finances to keep the resort going. Looks like that attempt failed and so did the business. Few, if any, Americans would have stayed in Castro's Cuba.
There was also a possible connection between Nannette's father and Mildred.

As far as the other missing person Jenney, She is not shown on the CT state death index and she predeceased her husband who died in 1965.

His obituary is back on page 33. I find it interesting that she is missing as well. Nothing about her and there is no evidence that Mildred and her mother did not keep in touch after around 1953. If we had death details for Jenney there is a chance Mildred or the other daughters attended her funeral. Jenney's husband's obituary does not name the daughters but Jenney's obituary might. Death details on Jenney could be of value.

Last edited by howard555; 12-21-2018 at 06:58 PM..

Old 12-22-2018, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

I did not see a post about Cuba trip being plea for finances. What resort? The Nanettes Villa in NY? Who was the plea being made to?

Old 12-22-2018, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
There was also a possible connection between Nannette's father and Mildred.

As far as the other missing person Jenney, She is not shown on the CT state death index and she predeceased her husband who died in 1965.

His obituary is back on page 33. I find it interesting that she is missing as well. Nothing about her and there is no evidence that Mildred and her mother did not keep in touch after around 1953. If we had death details for Jenney there is a chance Mildred or the other daughters attended her funeral. Jenney's husband's obituary does not name the daughters but Jenney's obituary might. Death details on Jenney could be of value.

Yes. I agree. What happened to Jenney/Jenny/Jennie?

What year did William marry the next wife? Or did he not marry her -- only fathered a child?

Nanette's father? Was he ever mentioned in this thread?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search