Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2019, 03:32 AM

8,394 posts, read 3,486,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Skin View Post
I have been exchanging emails with the new poster to the thread that appeared two or three pages back. She's the wife of my cousin and has had an interest in family research. Her discussions with other Galvin family members has yielded a new theory on the possible fate of Jennie Ney Galvin and why no one has ever found an obituary or place of burial. An elderly Galvin has suggested that Jennie was "crazy" and the reason that the family was split up in the 1930's. Apparently institutionalized and possibly a resident of Central Islip State Hospital on Long island. Residents who pass away during their stay there were buried in numbered graves and their information is nearly impossible to get. This theory if factual could explain our inability to locate Jennie Ney Galvin. This is serious food for thought. Lawmakers in New York have been trying to ease restrictions on release of former patients info and or burial location.

The 1940 US Census for Central Islip State Hospital lists a Jennie Galvin as an inmate - white, widow, 58, born in the US, living at the same place in 1935. If that description matches other info you have about Jennie, it seems your cousin's wife is correct.

ETA: The transcription says Jennie was 50, but looking at the image it clearly says 58 to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2019, 09:35 AM

197 posts, read 195,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post
The 1940 US Census for Central Islip State Hospital lists a Jennie Galvin as an inmate - white, widow, 58, born in the US, living at the same place in 1935. If that description matches other info you have about Jennie, it seems your cousin's wife is correct.

ETA: The transcription says Jennie was 50, but looking at the image it clearly says 58 to me.
This info is new to me, but also contains a few points that could be clerical errors or perhaps this is not our Jennie Galvin. First would be widow, as we know William J. Galvin did not pass away until decades later. And second the age in 1940 should be 45 years old. The part about living in the same place in 1935 can fit the timeline due to reports of the family being split up in the early 1930's. I will try to get a look at that 1940 census. Thanks for the heads up.

Old 01-03-2019, 09:37 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
This info is new to me, but also contains a few points that could be clerical errors or perhaps this is not our Jennie Galvin. First would be widow, as we know William J. Galvin did not pass away until decades later. And second the age in 1940 should be 45 years old. The part about living in the same place in 1935 can fit the timeline due to reports of the family being split up in the early 1930's. I will try to get a look at that 1940 census. Thanks for the heads up.
Its been posted in 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
In the 1940 New York census there is a Jennie Galvin (writing looks like age 58) listed in the Islip Insane Asylum & says same residence in 1935. I don't know how to determine if this is the Jennie.

I found this by looking for Galvin in 1940 who was a foster, ward, lodger, inmate.
I need try boarder.

Last edited by Roselvr; 01-03-2019 at 09:51 AM..

Old 01-03-2019, 09:53 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I could have sworn someone posted it in the first few pages
I don't remember seeing this particular information before but I seem to remember some of us speculating on this happening.

Old 01-03-2019, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I don't remember seeing this particular information before but I seem to remember some of us speculating on this happening.
You're quick. I edited once I found it lol

Old 01-03-2019, 12:51 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
You're quick. I edited once I found it lol
I'm not quick, lol. In fact, it's just that I remember from a looooong time ago, that I (and aprobably a few others) said that maybe one of them ended up in a mental institution. Maybe it WAS about Jennie and it was speculated that it was the reason the kids were taken away.

I didn't remember seeing the actual information from historyfan though. (are we there yet? lol)

Old 01-03-2019, 02:05 PM

197 posts, read 195,786 times
Default Random Thoughts

When a Census taker visits a mental institution, I would imagine they complete and fill out their forms from the Institutions Patient listing rather than patient interviews. Makes sense doesn't it? When a person is dropped off at the institution I hope they do not rely on said patient to accurately give details to be entered into their patient record. What are the chances that she thought she was a widow and that she gave her wrong year of birth? We could only venture a guess as to who had her committed or dropped her off there. Whoever wrote William J. Galvin's Obit knew that Jennie was no longer alive as of 1966.
As much as I would like to say we have located Jennie Ney Galvin, the entries on the census sheet are in conflict with that.
As in the beginning of the thread my mission remains the same, finding my birth mother Mildred May Galvin born 14 April 1928 in Waterbury, CT. Again, I would like to Thank everyone involved with this thread.

Old 01-15-2019, 10:56 AM

14,454 posts, read 20,630,704 times
I was able to get copies of two newspaper ads about the Villa (one of which was found by historyfan ). The name of the Villa is spelled two different ways and I'll post them later.
-----------------------------------------------
I also have a document that shows a relationship between Hope Towers and Nanette.

Mr Skin you can let me know if you want this to be posted on the forum as the search for your mother continues on.

I also have the name of the person who currently owns the actual building which was the Villa. When and from whom they bought it is not certain and even if they were old enough to buy it in say 1960 they surely would have had to be at least age 20 or born 1940 and age 78 today.

The person who currently owns the property might have some records of who sold it to them and with some very good luck maybe that person can be located.
------------
What was the birth location for Nanette?

From where (city) did the party (Mildred, Esperanza and Nanette) leave for Cuba?
Windham if I'm not mistaken. I'll go back through the thread and locate that detail.

Last edited by howard555; 01-15-2019 at 11:25 AM..

Old 01-15-2019, 05:30 PM

14,454 posts, read 20,630,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
Newspapers.com is proprietary, but here is text:
NANETTES VILLA WINDHAM 3, N. Y. and its staff awaits your pleasure. 90 Acres of lovely trails-All modern facilities All sports International cuisine. Write for brochure or call Windham 211
MRS. HOPE TOWERS, Prop.
Clipped from
Daily News, 14 Jul 1957, Sun, Main Edition, Page 174
This same ad ran throughout the summer of 1957 on a page of summer resorts advertisements.

--------------------------------------

N.Y. Post
May, 1958

So as we see the resort had that name since at least the summer of 1957 if not before. And up to the date of the plane trip and the return to Windham and forward in time until Mildred and Nanette left there. One left for NYC and the other left for..........

Last edited by howard555; 01-15-2019 at 05:46 PM..

Old 01-16-2019, 04:50 AM

Quote:
When a Census taker visits a mental institution, I would imagine they complete and fill out their forms from the Institutions Patient listing rather than patient interviews. Makes sense doesn't it? When a person is dropped off at the institution I hope they do not rely on said patient to accurately give details to be entered into their patient record. What are the chances that she thought she was a widow and that she gave her wrong year of birth? We could only venture a guess as to who had her committed or dropped her off there. Whoever wrote William J. Galvin's Obit knew that Jennie was no longer alive as of 1966.
As much as I would like to say we have located Jennie Ney Galvin, the entries on the census sheet are in conflict with that.
As in the beginning of the thread my mission remains the same, finding my birth mother Mildred May Galvin born 14 April 1928 in Waterbury, CT. Again, I would like to Thank everyone involved with this thread.
Wonder if you could order the records for admitted Jennie to see if it was her? I would think either her husband or another relative dropped her off. I do wonder if she went crazy, maybe thought her husband was deceased and told them so? Possible one of her sisters dropped her off but I'm not sure what the laws were back then.

I have one relative that was in one. It was my grandfathers (my mothers father) brother. My grandfather stayed in Hungary, his 3 brothers went to Missouri. At a dinner he shot his brothers wife who suffered from chronic pain; she had arthritis and can't recall what else off the top of my head. Instead of killing her he made her blind. He was sent to an insane asylum where he eventually died. I was able to find their Find A Grave memorials. One local gal entered them, there wasn't one for the insane brother that shot the brothers wife. His body was supposedly donated to science but it's not known where his remains ended up. She also wrote a blog about the brothers because they were crazy! The one who's wife was shot ended up dying of throat cancer a few years later, so the wife only had their kids to help her; the one brother that was left ended up shooting his adopted daughters husband, again can't recall why, then killed himself.

I wonder if there is a gem of a story somewhere that hasn't been found with Jennie. It may take a local transcribing records found in a library like what happened with my mothers relatives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
I was able to get copies of two newspaper ads about the Villa (one of which was found by historyfan ). The name of the Villa is spelled two different ways and I'll post them later.
-----------------------------------------------
I also have a document that shows a relationship between Hope Towers and Nanette.

Mr Skin you can let me know if you want this to be posted on the forum as the search for your mother continues on.

I also have the name of the person who currently owns the actual building which was the Villa. When and from whom they bought it is not certain and even if they were old enough to buy it in say 1960 they surely would have had to be at least age 20 or born 1940 and age 78 today.

The person who currently owns the property might have some records of who sold it to them and with some very good luck maybe that person can be located.
------------
What was the birth location for Nanette?

From where (city) did the party (Mildred, Esperanza and Nanette) leave for Cuba?
Windham if I'm not mistaken. I'll go back through the thread and locate that detail.
Historyfan is great at finding things. I can't thank her enough for helping me with a brick wall in my son's few times great grandparents. One of my son's cousins is really good too, he found some news articles on the dame people that gave us married names of female siblings. I think looking for news articles may help. I wonder if there was one for Mildred's accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post

--------------------------------------

N.Y. Post
May, 1958

So as we see the resort had that name since at least the summer of 1957 if not before. And up to the date of the plane trip and the return to Windham and forward in time until Mildred and Nanette left there. One left for NYC and the other left for..........
Thanks for sharing the clippings! I think the differences wi th the name was just someone that wasn't sure how to spell Nanette
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search