U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2018, 02:47 PM

13,385 posts, read 21,937,040 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine has let me know she has been trying to track down her biological father, and her mother has been completely opposed to this so I don't want to reveal too much here.

She has never met the man and knows very little about him. What she does know, and which I'm ok to reveal here, is that he was in the Navy at the time of her conception, and he was stationed at the naval base in Key West, Fl. She is a little over 50 years old now.

Are there any databases where I can search for records of former members of the navy who would have been stationed there? I have a name but not the actual confirmed spelling of it. I'd like to see what comes up if there is or are databases of this nature.

Thanks in advance for everyone's info with this question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2018, 03:19 PM

1,611 posts, read 1,946,877 times
I'll send you a site you can try.

Bill

Old 05-16-2018, 06:32 PM

2,847 posts, read 4,305,518 times
Your friend can also try DNA testing.

Old 05-17-2018, 08:06 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,843,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
A friend of mine has let me know she has been trying to track down her biological father, and her mother has been completely opposed to this so I don't want to reveal too much here.

She has never met the man and knows very little about him. What she does know, and which I'm ok to reveal here, is that he was in the Navy at the time of her conception, and he was stationed at the naval base in Key West, Fl. She is a little over 50 years old now.

Are there any databases where I can search for records of former members of the navy who would have been stationed there? I have a name but not the actual confirmed spelling of it. I'd like to see what comes up if there is or are databases of this nature.

This one is free to join and used to locate 2 service men. Here I just entered Joe Jones and Navy to show the type results you get. It gives a state.

Buddy Finder - Results
Attached Thumbnails
Helping a friend track down biological father - databases for Navy?-untitled432.jpg  

Old 05-20-2018, 06:54 PM

4,934 posts, read 2,277,189 times
FB has a lot of pages for military retirees & dependents related to specific bases & units they were stationed at. For example; I am a member of 3 different pages for US military bases in Japan, where I was born.

One of those, however, is restricted to military & dependents, so that may factor in to how useful they are.

Old 05-23-2018, 06:48 AM

10,670 posts, read 21,344,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post

Check out the Military Yearbook Project USA Military Platoon and Personal Photographs

I'm not seeing Key West, just Orlando, FL Naval Training Center

Look in the main entry, you may see a sub group that may have it US Navy Recruit Training Center [RTC] Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by daliowa View Post
Your friend can also try DNA testing.
I agree. Even on Long Lost Family, I'm amazed at the stories that say the person has been looking for their child or birth mother for 30+ years but they've never done their DNA; yet when the show does it, they usually get some sort of match.

See my thread Family tree and DNA general instructions I suggest testing with Ancestry because of their family tree feature then upload to My Heritage, GEDmatch and GEDmatch Genesis for free ethnicity and family matching. My Heritage also gives surnames when matches list them as well as family trees and chromosome browser and FTDNA for free family matching. For $19 you can unlock other features. There are other free databases in my thread but they're not as large as the one listed. I do not suggest 23 and me because they're on a new chip that can't be uploaded anywhere but Genesis.

Ancestry should be having a sale for fathers day. Mothers day was $59
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or