U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2008, 03:06 PM

790 posts, read 3,709,338 times

Advertisements

I've lost track of someone who is important to me.
I've thought about posting here to see if i can find him.
So i'm curious and interested to know if anyone at City-Data Forum has had success in finding someone.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2008, 04:05 PM

1,387 posts, read 3,039,049 times
This people that post on this forum are AMAZING!!!

I have had success posting on this forum and I try to help others everyday, so they can know the joy I have personally found.

Happy Mother's Day to all!!!!

Old 05-11-2008, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelingal2 View Post
This people that post on this forum are AMAZING!!!

I have had success posting on this forum and I try to help others everyday, so they can know the joy I have personally found.

Happy Mother's Day to all!!!!
Are you saying that you found someone you were searching for on the city-data "people search" forum?

Old 05-12-2008, 04:18 AM

10,730 posts, read 21,380,587 times
From posts that I've read, yes, people have been successful.

My tips to you is try to make the subject of your post match who/what you are looking for. If you know the person's name, use that along with the last town/state they lived in. I've opened posts where the subject had nothing to do with what was inside; but how many people actually do that? Some people might not bother to open a post titled help, or when they open the post, there is not much info inside. Giving as much good info as you can does not waste someone's time that helps search here. It will allow them to search, then post back and move on to the next person.

You have a better chance of google picking up the post, if it is titled well. Say I want to look up my dad, I go to google & put his name in, if someone had searched for him here, the post would come up on the google results. I can then join & answer

HTH.. hope I explained my thoughts. It's still early

Old 05-12-2008, 01:06 PM

2,441 posts, read 5,372,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
From posts that I've read, yes, people have been successful.

My tips to you is try to make the subject of your post match who/what you are looking for. If you know the person's name, use that along with the last town/state they lived in. I've opened posts where the subject had nothing to do with what was inside; but how many people actually do that? Some people might not bother to open a post titled help, or when they open the post, there is not much info inside. Giving as much good info as you can does not waste someone's time that helps search here. It will allow them to search, then post back and move on to the next person.

You have a better chance of google picking up the post, if it is titled well. Say I want to look up my dad, I go to google & put his name in, if someone had searched for him here, the post would come up on the google results. I can then join & answer

HTH.. hope I explained my thoughts. It's still early
Aside from what Roselvr said, when posting... the more information you post, the better chance of finding people. Items of information that are close hold or possibly compromisable (is that a word?) such as SSN, etc. you can forward to those you would trust in here. Often they will prompt you in a direct message (DM) for additional information if you all are getting close to zeroing in on who/where you all think the person is.

Again, gather as much information as you can ahead of time (full name (to include middle) date of birth, last known location (city, state), etc.). If you are unsure, just give what you can. The "pro's" on here (Travelingal2 & Lindsey_Mcfarren are two key players) will prompt you for information they need.

Good luck in your search!!!

~ Rath

Old 05-14-2008, 03:01 PM

2,431 posts, read 5,498,156 times
I am amazed at the help and time the members put forth in helping people locate individuals. Good job!!
FAQ

Old 05-14-2008, 07:53 PM

11 posts, read 45,311 times
I posted a message looking for a friend I hadn't heard from in over 30 years. I only had her maiden name, age, and the last city and state where I had seen her in 1975 or 1976. Within 2 days, someone had posted a reply with her married name, address and phone number. We are now talking and emailing!! It was amazing!!

Old 05-16-2008, 12:50 PM

Thanks everyone.
Good info and it's encouraging. I may just do it .... it makes me nervous for some reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search