U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2008, 12:42 PM

25 posts, read 53,612 times

Advertisements

I am helping my uncle find his father, brother, sisters and family member who may know where they are. Brothers name is Joseph and sisters names are Sally, Gloria and Eleanor.
My uncle was put in an orphanage then into a forster home and finally adopted when he was 11. He was born in 1955, his brother was 2 years younger than him.

This all originated in New Jersey. If any one is a descendant of Joseph and Freida Mayer, please contact me. Thank you so much for any help you can give. Even a little is better than nothing. Someone, somewhere knows something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 02:04 PM

1,387 posts, read 3,039,049 times
Found...

MAYER, ROBERT (Age 93)

Associated names:

MAYER, ROBERT H

Known to have resided:

ATLANTIC CITY, NJ
COCONUT CREEK, FL
HILLIARD, OH
WILMINGTON, DE
SARASOTA, FL
BROOKLYN, NY

Known Relatives:

MAYER, JR JOHNA
MAYER, FRIEDA
MAYER, STEVEN M
MAY, RITA A (Age 84)
MAYER, LAWRENCE J (Age 89)
MAYER, HELEN R (Age 90)

Does his age seem right?

Old 07-02-2008, 03:57 PM

1,830 posts, read 4,772,134 times
Found Joseph and Frieda & children in the 1930 census, Essex County, New Jersey. Their son Robert (your Uncle's father) was born approx 1929. Then I found a Robert Mayer in the SS death index, born Feb 13, 1929, died July 30, 1980, which may or may not be him. Last Residence: 07111 Irvington, Essex, New Jersey, and last benefit received at: 07735 Keyport, Monmouth, New Jersey, but I hit a dead end trying to reverse-search those addresses for current resident, in case his daughter lived there.
Also found in Public Records Index a Robert H Mayer, born 1928, living in Newton, NJ, and another living in Sparta, NJ.

Searched for Eleanor Mayer and found the name mentioned in the obituary of Ethel Vanta, Oct 20, 2007, in a newspaper in East Brunswick, NJ, that seems to mention all the people you've mentioned. This appears to be your Uncle's aunt, and apparently all the siblings of that generation are deceased. But at least it gives names and towns of more relatives for you to search for. His cousins might possibly have some helpful information.

Quote:
ETHEL M. "BILLIE MARIE" VANTA, 82, of KEANSBURG, died Thursday, Oct. 18, at home with her family. She was born in Orange and lived in Union Beach, prior to moving to Keansburg 19 years ago. Ethel was the owner operator of Billie's Lounge, served as ladies of the war Rosie The Riveter. She was a member of the Union Beach First Aid Squad, member of the Holy Family Catholic Church, did charity work for the premature babies at Monmouth Medical Center, member of the St. Ann's Church and because of her caring ways she made the local newspaper many times.
Ethel was predeceased by her husband, Wilton; two brothers, Joseph and Robert Mayer; and two sisters, Dorothy Smith Eleanor Mayer. Surviving are her two sons, Arthur Miller of California, and Eugene Miller of Oregon; two daughters, Ethel M. Mahan of North Carolina, and Florence Fitzgerald of Texas; five stepchildren, Welton Jr. of Texas, Irwin Vanta of Texas, Catherine Young of Louisiana, Betty Vanta of Louisiana, and Diane; three nephews, Kevin Mayer of Union Beach, Stephen Mayer of Cape May, and John Boyle of Middletown; four nieces, Cathleen Lewis of Deptford, Maureen Lynch of Brick, Sharon Kross of Forked River, and Jacqueline Lavalley of Keansburg; 50 grandchildren;and 70 great grandchildren.
Family will be accepting friends 2 to 4 and 7 to 9 p.m. Sunday at the Jacqueline M. Ryan Home for Funerals, 233 Carr Ave., Keannsburg. A private cremation will take place on Monday at Monmouth Memorial Park Tinton Falls.
There are 2 listings in the Public Records Index for Eleanor M. Mayer, age 58, in NJ,. Found several Joseph Mayers in NJ age 52: Joseph A. and Joseph J. . There is a Gloria B. Mayer, age 63 in Warren, NJ, and a Gloria G. Mayer, age 62 in Monmouth Junction, NJ. If you want those addresses or phone numbers, I can post or DM them.

Old 07-03-2008, 05:03 AM

Wow! Thank You! This deffinetly gives us alot of info to go on. Spent the last two days searching and coming up with nothing. The ages for Gloria are too old. The age for Eleanor are right on. o their address and numbers would be great. You can DM them to me.
We are going to start with the cousins. Maybe they know something. If one of those Eleanor's turns out to be a hit, I know we would be somewhere because she was the oldest and may possibly know where the others are. Thanks again!!

Old 07-03-2008, 09:55 PM

Smile I found them, thank you hcgCali!!!!!

UNBELIEVABLE!!! With that obituary you found, I spoke to almost everyone listed. They were so excited as we all are.
I do not know if I would be ending the day today as happy happy joy joy as I am if it weren't for you. I have no idea how you got it but it does not matter. As I listed this stuff on this web site, I prayed. And God surely has answered that prayer with a family being reunited after over 40 years. The cousins that I spoke to were all so excited. Even got to talk to a brother of my uncle's. He too was excited and had even been looking for some time. I don't know how to thank you enough. Just keep doing what you are doing. You are awesome. Thank You Thank You Thank You. Did I forget to say thank you? LOL

Old 07-04-2008, 11:36 AM

1,830 posts, read 4,772,134 times
Default You're Welcome

You made me cry!

Every 'search assistant' here does the same amount of work looking for each person. We just have access to different resources that contain different information, so sometimes one person finds the info first and the next time another one does. And often, a tidbit one person finds is what leads to another person finding further info. Putting all the pieces into the puzzle is a team effort. Seeing the joy when families are brought together is an amazing reward.

I bet the need to reunite is just as strong in those missing sisters as it is in your uncle. It's just a matter of time before they find this site and your threads, so check back and keep a current email in your profile. The board is full of relatives showing up years after the original post.

Old 03-05-2009, 01:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,958 times
My name is Bianca Hynes. I am looking for an Uncle that was giving up for either adoption or just given up at Birth in the late 1950's. Billie Vanta was my great grandmother, she was such an amazing woman.

Old 03-05-2009, 04:56 PM

575 posts, read 3,468,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiancaHy View Post
My name is Bianca Hynes. I am looking for an Uncle that was giving up for either adoption or just given up at Birth in the late 1950's. Billie Vanta was my great grandmother, she was such an amazing woman.
Learn to READ., Follow the rules, do not hijack someone elses thread.... start YOUR OWN thread.

Old 03-07-2009, 11:58 PM

120 posts, read 347,242 times
Chick, Bianca was posting about the woman in the Obit that was posted on this thread. That was her great grandmother, and she has been looking for the Uncle who was given up for adoption...... She might need her own thread, but it seems to be related to this family .

Old 03-08-2009, 11:46 PM

1,387 posts, read 3,039,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiancaHy View Post
Bianca ~ She must have been an amazing woman! It looks like she had a large...wonderful family. Have you checked adoption sites...adoptees often post what they know and you may be able to connect the dots! Best wishes with your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search