Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2016, 09:47 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,236,142 times

Advertisements

My FIL is 94 as of 09/06/2016 or is it 08/15/2016??

His driver's license (when he had one - still good but not in use) shows 09/06/1922.
Not sure what the VA shows but that has been ordered.

Why so important now? The VA and Blue Cross are denying medical claims of thousands now.

They told us to get the birth certificate. Well, more questions -

Birth Certificate shows 08/15/1922 in Remsen, NY under his same first name; different last name

Change of name in 1933 to a more common name (Pittsburgh, PA)

**Naturalization papers for the parents show a different last name but his date of birth of 09/06/1922**

My husband is the only child and there are some holes in stories he was told as a child. Everyone is gone now; no one to ask; sketchy records.

Has anyone had this issue? At least, we have an actual Birth Certificate now but it's under another name.

Birth Certificate shows last name as MELNIKOFF

Naturalization papers show father changed spelling of MELNIKOFF to MELNICHUCK

Change of name (1933) was MELNICHUCK to MILLER

**Concern now is that birth certificate shows MELNIKOFF but his name is MILLER now**
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2016, 07:36 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,129,262 times
I doubt if the change of name is as important as the change of birthdate ---- after all millions of women change their last name from what is on their birth certificate and the government does not seem to care.

Try finding other records such as church baptism or church confirmation records. Sometimes even notations in a family bible will support the correct birth date.

Is there a possible reason for his parents to change his birthdate? Such as he was born before they were married so they lied to their parents (and others) about the actual birthdate.

Good luck.

PS. I once attended a large 50th wedding anniversary planned by the son & grandchildren. At the actual celebration the parents sheepishly admitted that they had been married for only 49 years but they had told him (their child) an earlier wedding date because they were embarrassed that he was born out of wedlock. The funny thing was that all of the relatives knew and played along with the secret for the entire time. Later I asked my parents about it (they were the best man & matron of honor at the wedding) and they said "Of course they knew, but it was not their secret to tell".

Old 09-08-2016, 10:35 AM

14,450 posts, read 20,627,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
There are documents to verify name change. Try the courthouse in Pittsburgh.

Old 09-08-2016, 12:58 PM

Smile Name change

My husband was told his grandfather just started using MELNICHUCK instead of MELNIKOFF.

We actually didn't know any of this - just would always ask for a birth certificate and he never had one.
Now, we have that.

My husband's grandfather (the one who changed the name) died in 1957. Supposedly, he was married a few times also. Real evasive from what I understand. Really don't know a lot.

We have the name change documents but I don't have anything showing a change from MELNIKOFF to MELNICHUCK. My husband checked with a relative and was told that the grandfather would just change the spelling b/c he felt like it.

Old 09-08-2016, 01:02 PM

14,450 posts, read 20,627,395 times
Quote:
My husband was told his grandfather just started using MELNICHUCK instead of MELNIKOFF.

We actually didn't know any of this - just would always ask for a birth certificate and he never had one.
Now, we have that.

My husband's grandfather (the one who changed the name) died in 1957. Supposedly, he was married a few times also. Real evasive from what I understand. Really don't know a lot.

We have the name change documents but I don't have anything showing a change from MELNIKOFF to MELNICHUCK. My husband checked with a relative and was told that the grandfather would just change the spelling b/c he felt like it.
You may have to "figure out" what name and birthdate "they want" and then try to obtain the documents that come closest to what they are asking for.

Old 09-08-2016, 03:38 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,175,541 times
I recently found the family of a friend who had been adopted. The mother was never married to the father, but took his name from the point her sister, and then her, were born and lived with that name until the day she passed. It wasn't uncommon to take on a new way of spelling a name without documentation way back when.

My great grandparents had their name spelled numerous ways in the census, and in other documentation, like city directories. They were illiterate and whoever took the information spelled it the way they saw fit.

I would think as long as you have a paper trail showing this info, you should be fine.

Old 09-08-2016, 05:21 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,523,752 times
What does his military discharge paper say? His military paperwork should all be the same...enlistment/draft, service, discharge.
Ancestry.com has draft cards & some military recirds digitized. Otherwise it will be at NARA.

Old 09-08-2016, 09:58 PM

Smile Military paperwork

We've tried to find in his home and too much stuff to go through. Just junk mostly but I've ordered this from the VA.

We are not sure.

In the past, we asked him and he either would say "I don't know" or he doesn't remember. Anything from his childhood, he blocks out. It was a painful time for him.

In 93 1/2 years, we never had a problem with an insurance claim for him. Now, all of a sudden, the VA and Blue Cross are denying claims due to this.

At his last VA appointment, they refused to see him until we paid them $5K.

Old 09-08-2016, 10:43 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,175,541 times
Quote:
My FIL is 94 as of 09/06/2016 or is it 08/15/2016??

His driver's license (when he had one - still good but not in use) shows 09/06/1922.
Not sure what the VA shows but that has been ordered.

Why so important now? The VA and Blue Cross are denying medical claims of thousands now.

They told us to get the birth certificate. Well, more questions -

Birth Certificate shows 08/15/1922 in Remsen, NY under his same first name; different last name

**Naturalization papers for the parents show a different last name but his date of birth of 09/06/1922**

My husband is the only child and there are some holes in stories he was told as a child. Everyone is gone now; no one to ask; sketchy records.

Has anyone had this issue? At least, we have an actual Birth Certificate now but it's under another name.

Birth Certificate shows last name as MELNIKOFF

Naturalization papers show father changed spelling of MELNIKOFF to MELNICHUCK

**Concern now is that birth certificate shows MELNIKOFF but his name is MILLER now**

Not sure if you've already seen this, but the Pennsylvania Veterans File shows his birthday as Sept. 6, 1922. This form has red pencil check marks on each line. When it comes to the birthday listed above, there's a red X next to it. If you need a copy of this please P/M me with your email and I will send the 2 pages that I see.

I believe what I found, his fathers name was Constantin - what was his mothers name?

You said he was the only child. Do you mean he was an only child, or he's the only child left. I ask because there are a few families with this name variation and I want to be sure who I have coming up on other documents are a match to your husbands family.

Old 09-08-2016, 11:46 PM

7,702 posts, read 5,445,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I doubt if the change of name is as important as the change of birthdate ---- after all millions of women change their last name from what is on their birth certificate and the government does not seem to care.
Actually, it does. You need to show the progression of names, i.e. birth certificate, marriage certificate, divorce, remarriage records, social security cards, etc.

Some of us hyphenated our names and then got tired of it and so what was the last name hyphenated (eg. Mary Tweedle-Dee might now become a middle name followed by a last name, so that the passport now appears Dee, Mary Tweedle).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search