U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2007, 01:48 PM

1 posts, read 9,306 times

Advertisements

Our son, a mentally disabled adult charged with a crime in Florida, was arrested here in Kentucky and waived extradition. He was picked up here in KY more than six (6) days ago and we have heard nothing about him or his well being in all of that time! He takes two knids of medication to help keep him stable. We thought it would be two or at the most three days before he would arrive in Florida and we could learn how he is and post bond. When we have called the office in charge of extradition in Florida we have been treated in a most discourteous manner. On three or four different occasions we were given the impression we were intruding on the person that answered and the replys were curt and rude. We have no idea how he is or where he is and have given up trying to find out. We are only left with hopes and prayers for his well being. Beware of the extradition system!!! If you have the idea that a local sheriff from the state or municipality where the charge exists will drive or fly to where your son or daughter is being detained to pick them up and bring them back your dead wrong! Most of the time, an independent agency will be hired to do the transporting. That agency coundn't care less about the time ot takes. It's all about profit and how many they can pick up and deliver along the way. We hope we have helped someone else avoid the agony we are still going through.

Jim & Sandy
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2007, 02:04 PM

2,814 posts, read 12,057,769 times
If your adult son committed a crime, he made his own bed. From how you've described it, to be in a position requiring extradition to Florida from Kentucky, he must have fled prosecution in Florida. That's a conscious decision. The only thing I would make sure of in a case as you've described it is that the Florida authorities are aware of his medication needs. That should be able to be communicated by your local law enforcement to the Florida authorities.
Really...it's his fault isn't it?

Last edited by MoMark; 01-20-2007 at 02:19 PM..

Old 01-20-2007, 02:19 PM

504 posts, read 1,639,837 times
Very often Florida is like a redneck state especially when it comes to prisons, our new governor was known as chain gang charlie at one time,
I am sorry about your son, being a disabled adult facing prison in Florida is not good, a judge has just fined the department in charge of handling disabled adults for not taking them out of the prisons and it was a huge fine.
I would also worry about medications, he will be looked at by a nurse and asked about what medications he takes and then may-be he will be taken care of.
Florida prisons are very overcrowded and inhumane and the new governor was known at one time as chain gang charlie.
I would suggest that you get an attorney as soon as possible to make sure that the state of Florida knows that he is being looked at. You could even retain a lawyer here in the state of Florida. Do you know what part of Florida he is going to or where he thinks he is going.
Good luck to you, a troubled disabled adult is a terrible burden to parents.

Old 01-21-2007, 08:33 AM

22 posts, read 125,016 times
I would suggest calling the court in the Florida juristicion where he was charged. They would be the ones that issued the warrant. They will be able to tell you where he would be taken if he was taken into custody.

If someone you call is not helpful. Always be polite and ask "who might know?" "Who can I call?" Ask for a supervisor if you need to. If you have to, wait a little while and call back. Maybe you will have better luck.

The only way to fail is to quit!

Good luck!

Old 01-24-2007, 07:53 AM

850 posts, read 2,900,967 times
Have you tried contacting officials in Kentucky? Do you know where in Kentucky he ws when he was picked up?

If you can pm me with some additional info, name, etc. - I can try to run it through our local system. I have friends in some 'high' places and MAY be able to at least get some info.

Additionally - you DO need to get an Attorney. If your son is mentally uinstable, he may not be able to exercise his rights properly. An attorney should be able to make the necessary phone calls to locate him.

Mental issues or not, he is an adult, and will be treated like one until you can get into the system and prove his disibility. Depending on the crime - it will most likely be a long road.

Let me know if I can help.

KimmieyKY

Old 05-11-2007, 08:55 AM

2 posts, read 18,384 times
I lived in Forida and committed a white collar crime however I was never arrested. I subsequently moved to Illinois and was arrested on a 1,000.00 bond warrant the other night (4 months later). The state of Florida issued the warrant but when I went to the police station, I posted the bond but Florida never came back with a court date. There was all kinds of confusion and finally the police officer gave me back the bond money and sent me home. He suggested I call the detective in charge in Florida which I have done 4 times in 2 days and he has not responded. What should I do now?

Old 05-11-2007, 09:09 AM

2 posts, read 18,384 times
Default Beware of Extradition!!!!

How does one post a new message to this thread. Thank you

Old 05-12-2007, 03:01 AM

356 posts, read 1,090,657 times
Default Do some leg work...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Kentucky View Post
Our son, a mentally disabled adult charged with a crime in Florida, was arrested here in Kentucky and waived extradition. He was picked up here in KY more than six (6) days ago and we have heard nothing about him or his well being in all of that time! He takes two knids of medication to help keep him stable. We thought it would be two or at the most three days before he would arrive in Florida and we could learn how he is and post bond. When we have called the office in charge of extradition in Florida we have been treated in a most discourteous manner. On three or four different occasions we were given the impression we were intruding on the person that answered and the replys were curt and rude. We have no idea how he is or where he is and have given up trying to find out. We are only left with hopes and prayers for his well being. Beware of the extradition system!!! If you have the idea that a local sheriff from the state or municipality where the charge exists will drive or fly to where your son or daughter is being detained to pick them up and bring them back your dead wrong! Most of the time, an independent agency will be hired to do the transporting. That agency coundn't care less about the time ot takes. It's all about profit and how many they can pick up and deliver along the way. We hope we have helped someone else avoid the agony we are still going through.

Jim & Sandy
Go to the KY law enforcement agency and find out: what the FL warrant was for, jurisdiction in FL that issued the warrant, who from FL took custody of your son, then, contact the FL jurisdiction and get your son's arrignment date (there are time restrictions here) hire a local FL attorney and let him take care of it. Also find out about bond. Your attorney may want to petition for a bond reduction hearing given your son's disablilty.

Old 09-06-2007, 12:26 PM

10,317 posts, read 10,316,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
If your adult son committed a crime, he made his own bed. From how you've described it, to be in a position requiring extradition to Florida from Kentucky, he must have fled prosecution in Florida. That's a conscious decision. The only thing I would make sure of in a case as you've described it is that the Florida authorities are aware of his medication needs. That should be able to be communicated by your local law enforcement to the Florida authorities.
Really...it's his fault isn't it?
You are sure painting this individual with a broad brush. Remember he is innocennt until proven guilty. You post did nothing to help the very concerned parent. I assume this to be just a self serving post.I have read many of your other posts and i thought you would be above this

Old 09-06-2007, 01:31 PM

3 posts, read 14,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
You are sure painting this individual with a broad brush. Remember he is innocennt until proven guilty. You post did nothing to help the very concerned parent. I assume this to be just a self serving post.I have read many of your other posts and i thought you would be above this

I have just learned that MoMark has passed away since he made the post i quoted on. No disrespect meant for the dead or his family. My condolences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or