U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 04:07 PM

7 posts, read 11,493 times

Advertisements

looking for a girl that lived in Manhattan NYC, in the early 50"s her name was Mary Grady, we lived on the upper west side 110th st and broadway.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:57 AM

1 posts, read 2,040 times
Default Woodycrest Home for children

I spent a couple of years at Woodycrest back in 1947-48 when I was 4-5 years old. The classroom was, I think, on the top floor facing south. I also got my head stuck in between the iron rails on the second floor balcony. Won't forget that. My memory-feelings are very positive about the place. The neighborhood was much nicer then. We later went to St Johnland out on Long Island which is now also a nursing home. Very nice memories from there too.
Jim Freas

Old 03-22-2012, 08:38 AM

1 posts, read 1,881 times
I was at the Bronx - Woody Crest from 1932 to 1940. I currently live in Baltimore. I would love to hear from anyone who may have been there during those years.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:08 AM

2 posts, read 3,590 times
Default Ilona Baranyai

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilts View Post
Hi dvd, I was there in the later years (1958 - 1968). I suppose you could call me "younger". I attended PS 73 and Taft HS. Woody crest had a big reunion in June 2009 at a restaurant in Manhattan which I attended. Those in attendance were from the early 1950 - 1970's. The speaker was an "old" woody crest alumni from the early 1940's Nick Scarpetta, Fire Commissioner of NYC.

I too was at Woodycrest at the same time you were in the 60's. I have to assume you are a female because the boys attended school in-house. I had no idea that there were reunions. It was only recently that I developed nerve enough to look it up on the internet. I had many years of nightmares after my 5 year "stretch." I went to the same schools you did. Do you remember Dorothy McDowell? She had a brother named Bernard. She was my best friend. Any of the girls that were there will fondly remember Ms. Singer (LOL.) She was the nastiest counselor. Ms. Sutton on the other hand was loving and compassionate. Some of you may remember Mr. Enderly & Mr. Merrill. If you are interested in saying hi, you can reach me at [email]ilona@ilonaco.com[/email]

Last edited by Bruno1580; 08-21-2012 at 11:24 AM..

Old 08-21-2012, 11:21 AM

2 posts, read 3,590 times
I am not quite sure how to use this site, but I wanted to put my 2 cents in. I did a stretch at "The Home" from age 8 to 13. When my mother dropped me off there, I thought I was going to summer camp in Bear Mountains. At the time, the counselor for the little girls was Ms. Hughes. I went to P.S. 73. The boys were schooled in-house. I had nightmares for years after that experience. On a positive note, it did make me a stronger person. Do you remember Ms. Singer? Ms. Sutton? Mr. Enderly?, Mr. Merrill? I still think about Dorothy, Connie, Louise, Peanut (although she didn't like the nickname), Yvonne and others. Dorothy was my best friend. She had a brother named Bernard. I remember her fondly each year on her birthday. My name at the time was Ilona Baranyai. If I know you, friend me.

Old 08-27-2012, 07:30 PM

1,097 posts, read 1,732,801 times
Default 1940 Census

dvd_nj:

The 1940 census is free at Family Search, the National Archives & Ancestry.

Entering your father's name brought up the records of the "Home for the Friendless and Female Guardian Society" at 936 Woodycrest Ave, Bronx, including your father and aunts:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3....-49?cc=2000219

Not sure if this would be of help in later tracking people, but the names of others there at the time might spark some memories for your Dad. As you are involved with the alumni, it might be interesting to show/read the names to your Dad and record his memories for others - -

Old 11-27-2012, 10:16 AM

3 posts, read 5,140 times
My name is Maxwell Lawrence I lived in Woodycrest home from 1952 -1958 I was peak and Dornier is the second dorm I was in and then KL and I was in the Woodycrest Harmonica band we would go to grand concourse and play in front of the Yankees another baseball teams in the band and be treated to lunch. Miss Green was my teacher at the Woodycrest home miss Anthony was the nurse at Woodycrest home she saved me when I was sick for over a month with pneumonia and I remember when I got out of bed I couldn't walk because I was in bed for so long my legs were rubbery and I also had yellow jaundice and I had just made the full tackle football.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:28 AM

They sent me to St. Luke's hospital around the 112 street in Manhattan where I live so I used to sneak out of bed with yellow johnes and go down to the cathedral there were they were playing touch football and play with them and snick back up to the children's hospital ward and nobody ever knew that and Jimmy gemellus was one of my counselors in dornier. He used to bring me read this pistachios when you got off work late at night and I remember that also my best friend was Randy Luton we to go down to Macy's and play with the toys and gimbals and I remember a couple of kids that I was brought up with. Ernest Louis and Ernest Solis and i think his name was Stefanyk. I remember the candy store up from woodycrest home were we used to go to the back and smoke cigarettes like camel.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:31 AM

Send me email at [email]Mxwlllawrence@gmail.com[/email] thank you.

Old 05-26-2013, 10:17 AM

1 posts, read 1,578 times
My Grandmother and 2 of her brothers were at Woody crest from 1920 - ?. Am trying to find out anything about their time there. Last name Kitchner (Ethel, Fredrick, Benjamin)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or