U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2008, 05:11 AM

13 posts, read 30,519 times

Advertisements

My grandfather was born in Augusa/Lewiston area, my mother is not sure which, but had family in both places. His name at birth was Edward Alonzo Poulin (or Pullen). His mother was Irene and father was possibly Albert/Alfred. He was born May 12, 1906. His mother died when he was little and he went to live with his granparents, who later adopted him and he took their last name of Reynolds. They moved to North Brookfield, Mass at some point. His father moved to Connecticut and there doesn't seem to have been any further contact. My grandfather and grandmother moved to Thorndike Massachussetts where they lived until their passing.

My husband and I are currently living in the UK, but are moving back home to Mass in September, but I am seriously considering moving up to Maine (Camden area) as well as my Mother and would really like to find some relations. My mother was an only child, and there are no other family members that she has. I would really like to find some ties for her and my sake.

Thanks very much,

Karen Adams
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 01:28 AM

1,830 posts, read 4,771,110 times
So far I've found an Edward A. Reynolds listed as "grandson" living with Elford (Aug 1843) and Ella (July 1865) Reynolds and their son Alonzo C. Reynolds in the 1920 census. They were living in Massachusets in 1920 but it gives the birthplace of Edward as being Maine.

(Grandfather Elford B. is also listed as Buford B., Milford B. and Mulford B. in other census years. I haven't yet figured out which census taker got it right)

Searched Alonzo's name and then found the family in the 1900 census in Maine. And this time there is a 12 year old daughter living in the household.... Irene M. Reynolds (Oct 1887). I think I've got the right family! There are 2 more sisters listed, Caroline ( Nov 1885) and Mary S. (May 1892), so along with Alonzo (Sept 1882) that gives 3 siblings to track.

Found Uncle Alonzo's WWI and WWII draft registration cards. Bithdate is Sept 8,1882. Middle name is Calvin. Birthplace is Sidney, Maine. WWII reg gives his employer and place of residence as Commonwealth of Massachusetts Northhampton State Hospital.
"Person who will always know your address" is listed as:
Mrs. H.L. Healey
Box 293
West Brookfield, Mass

^^ Mrs. Healey may be one of his sisters. He was 59 at the time and still unmarried. Doesn't appear there will be descendents from him.

Finally found marriage cert.
Irene Reynolds married Alfred O. Pullen of Augusta, Maine April 25, 1907.
All census reports confirm Edward Alonzo was born in 1909, not 1906 as you believed.

Then found Alfred O. listed in the 1910 census as a widower, boarding with the Hill family. Birthdate given as "about 1886." His mother's birthplace is listed as Canada-English. No mention of Edward in Alfred's listing.

Found Edward A. Pullen, age 1, listed as a boarder with the George and Lillian Fruman family in the 1910 census.

Cannot find any trace of Alfred O. in Connecticut. However, found another Maine marriage which may be him. To Grace M. Brooks (aka Grace M. Turner) July 9, 1929. Bithdates are not given so I can't crosscheck to know for sure if it's him. But the marriage took place in Augusta, just like the one to Irene.

Caroline M. Reynolds of Augusta Maine married H.L. Healey of Winthrop, Maine on Sept 18, 1909. 1930 census shows H.L.'s name is Herain, and they lived in Worcester, Massachusetts. H.L. died in Lewiston 10 Apr 1961. Carloline died in Lewiston 23 Oct 1967. Haven't found any children yet.

Mary S. Reynolds married Henry W. Nichols in Augusta, Maine on Nov. 7, 1911. Daughter Anita L. nichols born 1914.
There was a correction given on her name -transcription error (census had it as Austa C) by a RVNichols1 of Holliston, Mass. this may possibly be a relative of yours. Ralph Nichols.
rvnichols1 Public Profile - Ancestry.com

Mary died 12 Feb 1974 in Waterville.

Anita L. Nichols married William A. Tully in Waterville Maine on 29 July 1950. Anita Tully died 9 Jun 1973 in Waterville.

Ok, I need sleep. I'll come back to this when I get a chance. So far, Pullen, Healey, Nichols and Tully are surnames in Maine related to your Reynolds relatives.

Old 08-19-2008, 01:24 AM

2 posts, read 4,345 times
I wish I knew more about my family, because I am pretty certain I am connected here.

My father is named Alfred Owen Pullen, after his grandfather. His father is Alfred Roland Pullen and was born 4-17-1913...I believe the Alfred O. and Irene you are researching could be my great-grandparents.

I know my grandfather had brothers and sisters, but I don't know how many or their names. I'm not a big geneology hobbyist..I just happened to Google my Dad's name and found this.

Old 08-19-2008, 03:52 AM

1,830 posts, read 4,771,110 times
Irene died somewhere between Edward's birth in 1909 and the census in 1910, so your grandfather (born 1913) must be the offspring of Alfred's second marriage, and the half-brother to the OP's grandfather (Edward). You and the OP are cousins!

Found Alfred R Pullen in the 1920 census ... they miss-transcribed the name as Pullon, and Alfred O is miss-transcribed as Alfred U .. which is why this record didn't pop up when I was searching Alfred O Pullen.

So, the second wife is Florence? (b.1888) and children are
Alfred R (b.1913)
Chester P. (b.1915)
Cecil P (b.1917)
Arthur L (b.1919)

1930 census has Alfred O with a third wife.. Maude (b.1895).. and 3 more children:
Clyde (b.1921)
Irene (b. 1923)
Jeanette (b. 1924)

You've filled in a large piece of the puzzle, Ladywho.

Old 08-26-2008, 12:27 AM

2 posts, read 4,345 times
Yes!

Most of those names are familiar...I have heard offhand comments and stories from my Dad about his Aunts and Uncles before.

Alfred Roland Pullen had two sons...Alfred Owen (My Dad and I am his only child) with Beulah Mae Witham and Chuck (Charles B. Pullen) with my step-grandmother I only really knew as "Peg". My Dad and Uncle Chuck are still alive but the others are dead.

My grandfather Alfred R. did live in Hartford, Connecticut when I was little. He moved to Harmony, Maine later on. I believe he joined the Army in Hartford during WWII. So *his* father Alfred O. probably also lived in or near Hartford as well.

Me and my father are not really "connected" with the family...but I believe Chuck is and he lives in Harmony still. Many of my grandfather's siblings lived and may still live in the Augusta, ME area. If they or their children do and you can find them, they may be able to help you find out more kadams1964.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search