U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 11:32 PM

1 posts, read 906 times

Advertisements

My maiden name is Kay Dorman. I live in Kettering, Ohio. I was in Cottage 9 with Darlene Crews in 1959. Where is Darlene now? I lived in Cottage 8 in 1954, Cottage 10 in 1956-1957 and Cottage 9 in 1959. I was also in many foster homes and Wernle Lutheran Children's Home in Richmond, IN.

Several years ago I read my record at SA. Mainly, the social workers recorded foster parent complaints and their responses. Nothing nice about me was recorded. Nothing about my activities on grounds was reported.

If anyone remembers me, please email me at kay.atkinson@my.sinclair.edu.

Last edited by Kay Dorman Atkinson; 03-04-2015 at 11:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2016, 04:41 AM

4 posts, read 2,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennel View Post
My mother was raised in Shawn Acres Orphanage in Dayton Ohio, till she was 18 and then
released. I have been trying to get any records from there as I have been
told it is closed down now.
Does anyone know about the place and how I could get information about
the years my mother was there? Does anyone know anyone that worked there.? She was there from birth, she was three week old when her dad left her there. 1921 to 1939.
Please email me at copper_pennie2002@yahoo.com and let me know anything that could help me . I would appreciate it.
try looking at Miami valley hospital basement. a lot of records were moved there.

Old 01-26-2019, 07:53 AM

1 posts, read 258 times
My Mother was in Shawn acres from birth until she was 16 ..
She was born 1927
She shared lots of stories with me through the years would love to connect with others that have that burning to understand why? Her Morher was only 13 when she had my mom and taken to a convent for months . They gave my grandmother a complete hysterectomy after my moms birth ... it makes me so frustrated my Mothers Name was Minnie Louise Howard . I seem to never forget her story .

Old 01-28-2019, 02:24 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,114,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay Dorman Atkinson View Post
My maiden name is Kay Dorman. I live in Kettering, Ohio. I was in Cottage 9 with Darlene Crews in 1959. Where is Darlene now? I lived in Cottage 8 in 1954, Cottage 10 in 1956-1957 and Cottage 9 in 1959. I was also in many foster homes and Wernle Lutheran Children's Home in Richmond, IN.

Several years ago I read my record at SA. Mainly, the social workers recorded foster parent complaints and their responses. Nothing nice about me was recorded. Nothing about my activities on grounds was reported.

If anyone remembers me, please email me at kay.atkinson@my.sinclair.edu.
Good luck with your search.

Old 01-28-2019, 02:26 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,114,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
says "page not available"......

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryshawnbaity View Post
I have created a facebook page www.facebook.com . My Mother was there as a child, and her grandmother worked there so I have a lot of pictures that I will be posting, some of my mother but we also have many of other children as well (some we have names others there is nothing written on the backs of them.
Do you have a more definite link ?

Old 01-31-2019, 01:33 PM

10,665 posts, read 21,336,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
says "page not available"......

Do you have a more definite link ?
The FB page has been deleted.

Old 01-31-2019, 06:37 PM

10,060 posts, read 4,015,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie1927 View Post
My Mother was in Shawn acres from birth until she was 16 ..
She was born 1927
She shared lots of stories with me through the years would love to connect with others that have that burning to understand why? Her Morher was only 13 when she had my mom and taken to a convent for months . They gave my grandmother a complete hysterectomy after my moms birth ... it makes me so frustrated my Mothers Name was Minnie Louise Howard . I seem to never forget her story .
I can only hope the hysterectomy was for a health condition like placenta accreta, to save the mom's life.

I'm guessing, though, it was an attempt to keep her from reproducing again, which was a common philosophy of the time.

It's amazing to me, how cruel and blind previous generations were, even though the leaders believed they were well-intentioned, less than 100 years ago. The horror very young teen girls suffered, after being raped and impregnated is staggering.

Old 02-02-2019, 04:00 PM

13,819 posts, read 18,771,405 times
I know they torn it down and put a park up and they used some of the materials from the building as a momento to the home . I think that is just sad that poor teen age girls had to be sterilized cause some pervert grabbed them and had their way with them . I remember my mother in law telling me that her mother and she lived in Dayton for a while and she saw some of the orphans staring in the bakery window and my husbands grandmother would go in the bakery to get bread and she would get a box of cookies for my mother in law and the little orphans and my mil told me that she would be upset all day after that . break your heart it would she used to say
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or