U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 02:47 AM

12 posts, read 23,385 times

Advertisements

Me again
Just tried google maps street view - all I keep getting is 18022 Lake Shore Blvd! Frustrating!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 10:30 AM

Just wondering if the John Walker aged 37 who got to the same address in 1951 as the young John Walker I'm searching on but only months before was anything to do with my Grandfathers family? A cousin maybe? No one left to ask unfortunately but seems very odd.
What do you think?!

Old 10-22-2008, 11:45 AM

1,830 posts, read 4,767,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlejof View Post
Me again
Just tried google maps street view - all I keep getting is 18022 Lake Shore Blvd! Frustrating!
That's because the building you want is on the corner of Ingleside Rd and Lake Shore. "Street View" is showing you the side of the building...the front of the buiding faces Ingleside. The mobile cam that takes the street view pictures doesn't necessarily go down all the little side streets.

Quote:
Just wondering if the John Walker aged 37 who got to the same address in 1951 as the young John Walker I'm searching on but only months before was anything to do with my Grandfathers family? A cousin maybe? No one left to ask unfortunately but seems very odd.
What do you think?!
Yes, I definitely think they are related. When I first found him I thought you had your dates wrong, because the other manifest didn't show up in the search engine when I searched the name. I found the mother and son by searching through all manifests for the America for that year. I figured he was the husband, arriving first with the family following after he got settled.... very common. If he's not the husband, then he may be her brother-in-law. It's not odd, it's coincidental. 2 John Walkers arriving from the same country to the same address a few months apart is a definite indication they are related.

The older resident's name was not Mary. It may have been Helen, I can't recall.

Now that you have shared the important facts of full name, actual birthdate and parent's names, I can start all over when I get the time. Do you have any other helpful details? What of the husband? Was Mary widowed before she arrived? Did John have any siblings? Did the "Cameron" name ring a bell? In what state/city did the descendents of this family end up?

Last edited by hcgCali; 10-22-2008 at 12:02 PM..

Old 10-23-2008, 12:57 AM

I really appreciate your help in all of this - many thanks!

Mary was married to my grandfather Norman Edward Walker - when he came back from the war she had run away, rumours at the time stated she'd gone off with a Canadian. My grandfather had to wait 7 years for a divorce and then married my Nan in 1948 in Hartlepool UK. There was also a rumour that she'd had twins but this is yet another unconfirmed issue. Cameron doesn't ring a bell as this is literally all I know!

Norman Edward Walker's father was Norman Walker, born approx 1890 in Scun thorpe Lincolnshire - I've no idea at this time if he had any siblings who could have a son John. My grandfather had one brother Cecil, no mention of a brother John, unless she ran off with his own brother and my grandfather disowned him! It's all speculation....

Norman Walker (1890) married Annie Winifred Coltman 21 June 1919 in Heighington Durham and there is an Clive Walker who has signed the marriage cert as a witness - a sibling perhaps?

All very intruiging isn't it!

Thanks again

Jo

Old 10-23-2008, 01:36 AM

Every family has a story.

I didn't find a John Edward Walker with that birthdate. A possibility: the "other man" may have adopted him and given him a new last name. I'll find the ship's manifest again and see if there are any single males in her age range listed, who may have been traveling with them.

I didn't find a death notice for Mary Walker. I'll see if I can find a marriage record.
At this point I don't know what to make of the older John Walker. Now I see why you thought it was odd.

If he was Canadian, they may have ended up there.

Old 10-23-2008, 05:47 AM

She could have married the other man and both her and John could have taken his name? But if she ran off with another man it still doesn't explain where the older John Walker comes into it... The only other thing I can think of is that she left the UK much earlier, when John was little but I've found no other listing for them as a pair - she can't have remarried before the divorce came through but there was still time to remarry before the 1951 crossing - I guess at the end of the day I might even be chasing the wrong pair!! They were very common names in those days.

The Canadian crossings are only listed to 1930 so not much joy there. Isn't it amazing when you start digging around!!

Jx

Old 10-23-2008, 12:59 PM

Yes, I had thought of the possibility that the 1951 family just coincidentally had the same name, but I assumed you knew for sure that Mary and John emigrated in 1951. That John did have a bithdate of 1940 listed, instead of 41. Add to that, the older John going to the same address 2 months earlier, and it very well could be a family unit with no relation to the ones you are searching for. I'll look for earlier crossing records on them. Do you know what year she ran away? Also, at one place in the thread you gave her birthdate as 1917 and at another place you said 1920/21. Which is most likely correct?

Ancestry.com does have quite a few England and Canada record databases, but unfortunately they are locked and available only to those with an upgraded "World" membership for $30.00 a month extra. If you could access those records, you may be able to find a marriage record of Mary in England, or maybe John is still there.

Old 10-24-2008, 05:48 AM

It could be that I'm chasing the wrong pair - as I said, the names are very common. It took a while to find the real marriage cert as there were lots of incorrect pairings. On the cert it states Mary is 19 and that was November 11 1940 - she maybe did travel earlier than the 1951 listing so from 1941 onwards would be where I start again!

I'll have to upgrade my ancestry and see what more I can find. She certainly couldn't marry straight away as the divorce only came through in 47/48 so at least there's no name change to consider before that.

Hey ho... here we go again!

Old 10-29-2008, 03:41 AM

Have had contact with the Ohio Genealogical Library and they're sending me a copy of the local directory for all the John Walker's in the area. I'll contact them and see if any fit, I don't actually hold out much hope that I'm chasing the right one but at least I can rule this lead out in my mind.

It's much easier searching backwards through time than coming forwards and seeing where people ended up!

Not giving up though... onwards and upwards as they say
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or