U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 02:46 PM

652 posts, read 1,583,991 times

Advertisements

Title says it all. I was there in 1966-67, it closed it's doors in the 80's so I'm guessing a lot of folks made their way thru the place. If you were there at anytime I'd like to hear from ya, and if you were there in the 60's I'd really like to hear from ya.
Let's compare notes, remeniss, and find out how things changed over time. Did you get to go thru the tunnels? Did you eat in the hospital or shower there? Remember once a week bathing? Swimming in the pool?
Was Aunt Polly, or was it Dolly, there when you were? How many kids were there with you? lots? few? ages?
You get the picture. Let's start a group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 08:21 AM

1,907 posts, read 4,445,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutleynut View Post
Title says it all. I was there in 1966-67, it closed it's doors in the 80's so I'm guessing a lot of folks made their way thru the place. If you were there at anytime I'd like to hear from ya, and if you were there in the 60's I'd really like to hear from ya.
Let's compare notes, remeniss, and find out how things changed over time. Did you get to go thru the tunnels? Did you eat in the hospital or shower there? Remember once a week bathing? Swimming in the pool?
Was Aunt Polly, or was it Dolly, there when you were? How many kids were there with you? lots? few? ages?
You get the picture. Let's start a group.
Do you mean Essex County, New Jersey? I'm guessing from your name you are in Nutley, NJ? I grew up in Newark in the 60's, but wasn't in a shelter. Just thought you should clarify to get more responses. Good Luck

Old 01-22-2009, 05:09 PM

Default Essex Cty NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doorway View Post
Do you mean Essex County, New Jersey? I'm guessing from your name you are in Nutley, NJ? I grew up in Newark in the 60's, but wasn't in a shelter. Just thought you should clarify to get more responses. Good Luck

Thanks Doorway

The Shelter is I mean was in Belleville behind the old geriatric hospital

Old 01-25-2009, 11:23 AM

Default Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutleynut View Post
Thanks Doorway

The Shelter is I mean was in Belleville behind the old geriatric hospital
I'll figure this out yet. Yes I am refering to Essex County NJ.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:41 PM

1 posts, read 2,084 times
Wow typed into google about shelter and came up.I was there from 1978 to 1980 with my two bothers,when I was ther they had us in age groups,boys on one side girls on the other.I do rember the tunnel with the big pies in it,it was always hot in there.The people that watched us were called house parents.I remember eating at the hospital it was a big room,when you walked in the food line was to the right.The tunnels were used when it was raining or bad weather.Out back of the shelter was another bldg.that is were we had school on the second floor.I can remember that it you were facing the shelter with your back to the hospital I was on the left hand side 2nd floor,there was about 20 or so kids on that floor.I did find on of the people that watched us and call him from time to time,we called him Mr.Andy,real name Andy Otto.He would always play his guietar for us.I found him when I worked in Calwell NJ.He is going to flip when I tell him I found this on googleI'm also going to let my brother about this.Well hope to hear back from you.e-mail me back.Wow a blast from the past.take care.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:37 PM

You have mail longhair66

Old 02-05-2009, 09:57 AM

Hey longhair, get outa the car! Aint I funny. Cool man PM me when you get your profile setup

Old 02-14-2009, 08:32 PM

Hey longhair did I miss something? Are you OK? Did you get my DM's? Don't disappear on me now.

Old 01-09-2016, 11:32 AM

4 posts, read 2,892 times
Hi I hope someone reaches out to me would love to talk to someone who was there my name is Maritza please email me at mari_montero21@yahoo.com

Old 01-09-2016, 11:36 AM

4 posts, read 2,892 times
I have a lot of mixed up memory of that I was nine and remember running away and brought back by the police and other girls were with me .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search