U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 10:47 AM

10,694 posts, read 21,356,094 times

Advertisements

As everyone knows, Cynthia's family were looking for her. The missing and unidentified person's world has been trying to figure out if Cynthia was a Jane Doe somewhere. One case is an Allenstown NH adult female with 3 small children aged 9 to 10, 3 to 4 and 2 to 3. The 3 to 4 year old child was not maternally related to the woman. It was thought that Cynthia was the woman.

There is a blog for the 4 females called Mystery in Allenstown, NH. They saw the thread here, reached out to relatives who got Cynthia in NamUs. I'm not sure if her profile was ever public (online) yet or not. Someone said her profile was online and is off line now. I've never seen it, I did check, it's not there now. NamUs will run her social and do a few other things to satisfy that she is in fact missing.

Not long afterward, the blogger was searching through indexes of the deceased and found entries dated March 19, 1974 for a Cynthia Louise Putnam born in Mass. They then found news articles about what happened. This Cynthia was listed as being 19 when she passed away.

They notified Cynthia's family in VT at the beginning of August as they knew that their Cynthia was also born in MA. They then hoped that authorities and NamUs would find a way to confirm (or rule-out) the Cynthia they found as being their Cynthia for the sake of the family.

Last night I hadn't gone to the blogger page to read what they said, I just did that now. I'm posting because all anyone has to do is google now.

I want to offer my sincere condolences if this is in fact their Cynthia. I can't convey how heart broken I am except to say I cried when I saw it last night and am crying now as I type. This was not the outcome that I thought they were going to get. The exact same thing happen to a friend of mine (also from Mass) who's sister was compared to a Caledonia NY Jane Doe. A web site declared her a match but DNA said otherwise. A year later someone else was comparing her to Princess Doe in NJ, found her find a grave record that for some reason we all missed, probably because it had just gone online. She was buried in a paupers grave on Hart Island NY. She had family that was not sought out.

My heart breaks. I'm praying that this isn't their Cynthia. If it is, I hope they have an attorney for a lawsuit because they were never notified that their minor daughter had passed away.

My sincere condolences go out to your family. I'm so sorry. I never imagined Cynthia would be found like this. I honestly didn't think she was a missing person. I thought she was living her life which has happened in other cases of missing teens back then.

Mystery in Allenstown, NH - Cynthia Louise Putnam

I'm not seeing Cynthia Putnam passing away in NC in 1974 on find a grave

Last edited by Roselvr; 09-21-2016 at 11:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2016, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
My heart breaks. I'm praying that this isn't their Cynthia. If it is, I hope they have an attorney for a lawsuit because they were never notified that their minor daughter had passed away.

If this is their Cynthia, she would have turned 17 2 days before she passed away. I guess she told her boyfriend that she was 18 when she met him. In the March 21, 1974 article it says they had found a letter she had written to Massachusetts Bureau of Vital Statistics that was returned to her, she had requested her birth certificate. It doesn't say why it was returned to her.

Old 09-21-2016, 02:13 PM

4,884 posts, read 6,337,727 times
It's very sad, for whoever this young woman's family is, whether it's the OP, or someone else's.

To assume there was no family so quickly was wrong. It would be a rarity that there were no family at all. Not giving the time to try to find that family seems so wrong. They did not bury this girl, they cremated her. This is most likely why you are not finding a grave site Roselvr. So, where are her remains?

If she had a letter requesting a copy of her birth certificate I wonder why the authorities never tried to get that certificate. Not only to try to find family, but to put her actual DOB on the death certificate. It would have given them the name of parents should it have been on her BC, instead of putting UNKNOWN.

I hope they have a picture of her in file so the family can properly ID her, or know that it wasn't the same person. Could have been someone who took her information and was trying to claim her identification as being theirs.

What ever happened to the guy charged with her murder?

Again, sad, no matter who this young woman was. I hope the family finds some closure.

Old 09-21-2016, 03:04 PM

Amen to everything you said! My friend is trying to find out where the guy is.

Old 09-21-2016, 06:21 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,853,426 times
Very sad to hear the result of this decades long matter.

Old 09-21-2016, 06:34 PM

4,884 posts, read 6,337,727 times
Read this article dated May 2015 and is from the county where she died. I wonder what the laws were back in 1974:

http://www.greensboro.com/news/numbe...9d2e4b0fa.html

Guilford County doesn’t have its own morgue, so unclaimed bodies are first handled at area hospitals. Under state law, a body must remain unclaimed for 10 days before custody is transferred to the county. This person was held just 6 days, but again, laws in 1974 may have been different.

During those 10 days, hospital officials work to find and notify next of kin. At Cone Health, that responsibility falls to Hope Rife, director of clinical social work.

The crematorium is required by law to house the remains of unclaimed bodies for three years, said Clarence Boston, Triad Cremation Society’s chief executive officer and president.

But we still have all of them,” Boston said. “The way we thought about it was, what if after three years a family comes and says, ‘Where are the cremains?’ I don’t want to be the person who has to say, ‘They’re not here anymore.’ ”

Unclaimed bodies are given the same cremation service as those people whose families select a basic package, Boston said. The bodies are cremated, and the ashes are put into a black plastic container, which is then housed in a plain white cardboard box, labeled with the person’s name. Those boxes are kept on-site.

Hoping for the family of this woman they are able to claim her remains.

Old 09-21-2016, 07:27 PM

7 posts, read 5,264 times
Very sad. Still nothing concrete.

Old 09-21-2016, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamajenp View Post
I'm so sorry. Have you reached out to see if they have her birth Certificate letter? That may give you some proof one way or another hugs

Old 09-22-2016, 09:27 PM

Quote:
I feel so bad for you. I never thought this would be the outcome. My friend has been looking for whatever info she can find, to see if the boy is accessible to get answers but she's not findind traces of him.

Has anyone that you contacted gotten back to you? Have you spoken to an attorney? I know it was a long time ago but you may be able to get justice for what they did to you if this was your Cynthis. Have you sent them her photo to compare with any that they took? Photos would be the easiest way to confirm it. Also if they checked her over, listed scars, birth marks, freckles, bone breaks or even dental related. Anything you remember about your Cynthia that can be compared to the medical examiners report could help.

My friend and I are keeping you in our prayers. Hugs

Old 01-12-2017, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Been thinking about your family. Have you gotten any answers yet? ~Hugs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search