Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 12:57 PM

136 posts, read 379,847 times

Advertisements

Hi, my mother (who is in her eighties now) has told me numerous times about her years at Norman School in Kansas City MO. The school's principal was Miss Lucy Smoot (gotta love that name!) and from what my mother has told me, her definining characteristic was that when kids on the playground or in the halls would get out of line (like running in the halls) she would blow on her whistle that was around her neck. And if, for some reason, she didn't have her whistle, she would point at the offender and shout "TOOT-TOOT"!!!

I've always gotten a real kick out of that story. My mom attended the Norman School around the early 1930's. I guess I'm posting to see if anyone else here may have known her, or have ever even heard about her. I'm sure most people here are too young to remember Miss Smoot but what the heck.

Thanks,
Doug
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2009, 03:00 PM

575 posts, read 3,694,460 times
That's a sweet story, apparently there is a Lucy Smoot here (she is niece to this 102 year old woman) Elk Grove Citizen : Archives > News > Katie Ehresman honored on 102nd birthday

Lucy Smoot here is in her late 60's (maybe daughter) to Lucy?

Old 02-14-2009, 06:37 PM

417 posts, read 813,907 times
What a cute story...how interesting it would be to find out if that is a relation

Old 02-16-2009, 06:59 AM

1,140 posts, read 2,075,128 times
Missouri Valley Special Collections : Item Viewer

It appears that she passed away Feb. 11, 1963 at age 91. The obituary is not available online, but you can request a photocopy.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:08 AM

1,140 posts, read 2,075,128 times
This is an exerpt from a biography of Edgar Snow in which he mentions Ms. Smoot.

Edgar Snow, a Biography: A Biography - Google Book Search

Unfortunately, he passed away in 1972.

Last edited by ElizNJ; 02-16-2009 at 07:30 AM..

Old 02-23-2009, 08:25 PM

2 posts, read 7,306 times
Just stumbled across your post about Lucy Smoot. Lucy Smoot was my great great aunt (My great grandfathers Sister) She died in 1963 when I was too young to rememeber her. I have done a fair amount or research on her. She was a well respected educator in her day. She is buried at Forest Hill Cemetery in Kansas City along with her sister, Lida L. Smoot who as a long time Kansas City school teacher. The two sisters never married and as far as I know lived their entire lives together. Let me know if you want more info. By the way, Norman School is now closed but still standing. The KCMO School district has been trying to sell the propery. I believe it was built around the turn of the century.

Bruce

Old 02-24-2009, 04:08 AM

1,063 posts, read 2,462,987 times
I'm glad you've received some answers here, cazboy. I also enjoyed the cute toot story.

Old 02-28-2009, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnson315 View Post
Just stumbled across your post about Lucy Smoot. Lucy Smoot was my great great aunt (My great grandfathers Sister) She died in 1963 when I was too young to rememeber her. I have done a fair amount or research on her. She was a well respected educator in her day. She is buried at Forest Hill Cemetery in Kansas City along with her sister, Lida L. Smoot who as a long time Kansas City school teacher. The two sisters never married and as far as I know lived their entire lives together. Let me know if you want more info. By the way, Norman School is now closed but still standing. The KCMO School district has been trying to sell the propery. I believe it was built around the turn of the century.

Bruce
Hi, and thanks to you ALL who wrote just to comment, or perhaps simply enjoyed the story! Wow Bruce, so Lucy Smoot was YOUR relation! That is amazing to me. What I did NOT mention in my original post is that my mother has Alzheimer's disease and our conversations only revolve around the "old stories". I just got back from taking her out to lunch and of course we talked about the old days. And again, mom told me all about "TOOT TOOT, MISS SMOOT" and just LAUGHED! It is so good to see her successfully remember something and enjoy a good laugh. One thing to add, is that my mom says she remembers that Lucy Smoot was very athletic and LOVED to play baseball with the boys...not so much with the girls!

By the way Bruce, while packing some of my mom's things I found a page from a magazine with a picture of Lucy Smoot and a writeup telling how she went to attend a camp featuring some famous baseball player - the name slips my mind just now.

Also, thanks for the information re: the Norman School. My wife & I visited Kansas City a couple of years ago and one day we visited the house where my mom grew up on Summit St., and then we visited the Norman School. What a sturdy building - why not use it for something? Why was it abandoned?

Bruce, if you'd care to share more information, I'd sure love to hear more about her. My purpose is to pass it on to my mom so she could enjoy it. She will forget all about it in a matter of moments, but it's OK. Just to see her smile is enough for me. And I'll tell her all about it again.....for the first time.....again and again.

...Doug

Old 03-02-2009, 07:52 PM

2 posts, read 7,306 times
Doug,

I would be happy to provide you with some additional information on Lucy Smoot. I need to scan some items which I will be happy to email to you. I have a copy of her obit which mentions the story you tell about her interest in baseball. I belive the players she met with in 30s may have been Ruth and some of the other Yankees. I remember seeing a copy of the newspaper story about it when I was a kid but that has been long lost. I would love to be able to get a copy of what you have with her picture as I don't have any except from her obit and one when she was very young.

If your mother attended Norman in the 1930s, it was late in the tenure of Lucy Smoot. She was the principal of that school going back to the ealry 1900s' Not sure when she retired. An interesting story from her obit is that she donanted a full set of first addition Lewis and Clark Journals to UMKC. I actually tracked them down at the University and they gave me a copy of the letter she wrote with the donation. That was in the 1950 long after she retired. I wonder if these journals were at Norman School. I don't know what the fate of Norman will be, the school is vacant and being offered for sale. The KC School district, like many urban districs is a mess. I agree that it is a grand buidling and too bad it is not still being used as a school. I will send you what I have and see if I can find some other facts that your mother may remember.

Do you have a picture of Norman? I drive by it nearly every day and would be happy to take a picture and email it to you.

Bruce

Old 06-14-2021, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnson315 View Post
Doug,

I would be happy to provide you with some additional information on Lucy Smoot. I need to scan some items which I will be happy to email to you. I have a copy of her obit which mentions the story you tell about her interest in baseball. I belive the players she met with in 30s may have been Ruth and some of the other Yankees. I remember seeing a copy of the newspaper story about it when I was a kid but that has been long lost. I would love to be able to get a copy of what you have with her picture as I don't have any except from her obit and one when she was very young.

If your mother attended Norman in the 1930s, it was late in the tenure of Lucy Smoot. She was the principal of that school going back to the ealry 1900s' Not sure when she retired. An interesting story from her obit is that she donanted a full set of first addition Lewis and Clark Journals to UMKC. I actually tracked them down at the University and they gave me a copy of the letter she wrote with the donation. That was in the 1950 long after she retired. I wonder if these journals were at Norman School. I don't know what the fate of Norman will be, the school is vacant and being offered for sale. The KC School district, like many urban districs is a mess. I agree that it is a grand buidling and too bad it is not still being used as a school. I will send you what I have and see if I can find some other facts that your mother may remember.

Do you have a picture of Norman? I drive by it nearly every day and would be happy to take a picture and email it to you.

Bruce
Hello Bruce,
It's been a long time since we communicated here on this forum. I have a magazine article about your great-great aunt, Lucy Smoot, all framed up. In my message I offered to give it to you, if you'd like to have it. It's now 12 years since I started this discussion, so I hope you see this post and the private message I sent to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search